The Anama has one huge effect on gameplay: you don't have mage spells. Depending on how you play, this can be a minor obstacle more than compensated by bonuses to priest spells you get for joining the Anama, or, as for most players, it can be a disaster. Look at how you're playing now and decide whether you'd rather have mages or not.

Because mage spells are so useful and powerful, the Anama is definitely and deliberately a challenge. A party set up from the beginning to become Anama can do fine, although the game is a bit tougher; a party not originally made without mages has squandered valuable skill points and is likely to have a very, very tough time.

—Alorael, who recommends a normal playthrough first. After you've gotten through the game you can decide if it's worth doing as Anama.

I find the conversation options with some of the mages after you have joined more fun the the anama itself. Half the bonuses can be taken by buying fake anama rings. Killing them is kinda fun thougt not worth while. Like him or not the anama priest in the main temple (cant spell his name) takes care of dread curse for free. I have never found another cure spot for dread curse.

There is no other cure for Dread Curse. That's one very strong reason not to rob the Anama.

—Alorael, who believes that joining the Anama also gives all your characters a point or two in Priest Spells. For your priests that's a not inconsiderable saving in skill points, especially if you join later in the game. For your fighters it's the ability to cast a few healing spells if necessary and a way to provide protection from certain enemies that like to target spellcasters.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Originally Posted By: Doomblob
So does joining the anama disable mage spells? And what are the bonuses to priest spells like?

Yes.

The bonuses are pretty significant: you get easy access to some of the highest-level priest spells in the game.

The bonuses unique to the Anama are trivial (ie. +2 to Priest Spells?), and pale in comparison to being able to use mage spells. As for the highest level priest spells, you can easily get those spells from other places in the game early on.

Also, you can't join the Church of Divine Lucre, which gives you a bonus to magery.

Erika gives very expensive Magery up to 5 points, I believe. If I'm remembering right, the Church of the Divine Lucre gives you a bonus to all party members that you can add to Erika's bonus. It's not free, of course, but it's the Church of the Divine Lucre. It really can't be.

—Alorael, who believes they are the only true faith for an adventurer. Kill everyone and take their stuff? As long as it's valuable, the Church is behind you!

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Faerie Storm
I don't see any reason why joining the Anama would be worth while.
In the course of gameplay, there's no real reason to join the Anama, except that you can get some good priest spells earlier.

As far as I can tell, joining the Anama is supposed to make the game more challenging by giving you a handicap of not being able to use mage spells. This can provide for a more satisfying win.

• 4 months later...

Hey, So i made the mistake of Joining the Anama, and now I cant cast mage spells. I realize now that was stupid, and I really want to cast amge spells. Ive tried everything to be able to, but nothing works. Ive tried telling the guy I quit, didnt work. Then I tried to re learn the mage spells, that didnt work. I killed my character and revived him, that didnt work, And when I gave up hope I even went back and killed him, that still didnt work. So yea, How do I cast mage spells again without ruining my progress in teh game so far (ie i dont wanna start a new game)

In Avernum 5, Shafrir in the Azure Gallery can remove the Anama condition and has a spellbook to restore the first 8 spells.

In Avernum 3, Ahonar will remove the Anama condition but you have to pay to regain spells or use spellbooks for some.

I suppose it's too late for autosave file and you don't want to go back to a much earlier game.

Joining the Anama in A3 isn't too bad. You still have Smite, Divine Fire, Wall of Blades, and Divine Retribution. It's not as good as Ice Lance, Lightning Spray, Fireblast, and Arcane Blow, but it gets the job done.

The biggest losses are the level 3 versions of Haste, Unlock, Far Sight, and Dispel Barrier.

I wonder why Jeff decided to replace Divine Warrior with Divine Retribution. It would have been much better to replace Control Foe with Divine Retribution. That would have made joining Anama much easier.

It's also too bad that you don't get your mage skills transferred to priest skills like in Exile 3.