Avernum 6 screenshots posted

Originally Posted By: Seaweed
Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug
Why would the Vahnatai destroy the food crops that they themselves rely on?

They can hibernate, remember? The vahnatai could easily destroy the mushrooms, hibernate for a few centuries and then awaken when the humans are gone and the mushrooms have grown back. But seriously, let's hope the Vahnatai stay out of this conflict.

On another note, A6 sounds a lot like A3 and A4...

I guess that is a reasonable possibility. It also has the advantage of not killing any Avernites if they are smart enough to return to the surface.

Originally Posted By: Seaweed
Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug
Why would the Vahnatai destroy the food crops that they themselves rely on?

They can hibernate, remember? The vahnatai could easily destroy the mushrooms, hibernate for a few centuries and then awaken when the humans are gone and the mushrooms have grown back. But seriously, let's hope the Vahnatai stay out of this conflict.
They can just as easily throw everyone else out and seal the entire cave system. If the Vahnatai do get involved, I think that's what might happen.

From Jeff's blog in case you haven't read it.

Originally Posted By: Jeff

There is something very liberating about writing the last game in a series. First, you won't have to write any more. Second, you get to totally trash the place.

Udder destruction is in the works. I wonder if towns get replaced with ruined versions as time passes like in Avernum 3.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer

There is something very liberating about writing the last game in a series. First, you won't have to write any more. Second, you get to totally trash the place.

Udder destruction is in the works. I wonder if towns get replaced with ruined versions as time passes like in Avernum 3.

Someone's got mams on the brain. smile

I can't put my finger on why, but the graphics look a lot nicer. I'll probably end up buying this game even though I still haven't beaten Avernum 5 or gotten past the second chapter (I keep, trying, I swear!).

Please no! That was the one thing that annoyed me the most in Avernum 3. Hate being rushed through the game to fix things in case you miss anything in those towns when they go boom. frown

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
That's it! The only way to do justice to the series would be to bring back every single villain from the previous games. Imagine a Council of Evil ran by Grah-Hoth, Hawthorne, Garzhad, Rentar-Ihrno, Dorikas, Linda, Adze-Haakai, Sss-Thoss, Sss-Thsss, Pyrog, Elderan, Limoncelli, Vyvnas-Bok, Vahkohs, Anastasia, and Dirty Dan.

Please Jeff, let Dirty Dan be the one who brings down Avernum! I can't even begin to express how incredibly, awesomely, fantasticularly funny that would be. It would be like a middle finger to every fan ever, a middle finger to the whole Avernum series and middle finger to yourself. It would be like an insult to God. Please make it so!

At least let him assassinate Solberg!

Originally Posted By: Melted Almonds
One change in the graphics i noticed that didn't look all that different but felt really different was the "Road" screenshot, the outdoor ground and the characters look much more smooth. But the purple archer guy looked a bit out of place

I don't see purple archer.

Apparently chars don't need to stand next to spellcaster when he/she casts supportive spells

Destruction doesn't necessarily mean timers. Given the fact that that mechanic hasn't returned, we can perhaps speculate that Jeff doesn't love it either.

—Alorael, who expects mostly destruction in the backstory and perhaps a dash of destruction as plot in the manner of Fort Remote and even some possible player assisted destruction.

There may still be an area of effect for supportive spells and the caster was just near the group's middle.

The purple archer was on the right side of the screen for the "Road" screenshot and looks like the one from A5.

nothing against area effect spells if area they effect isn't too narrow.

found that archer and pretty much looks same like at a5.

as for destruction: maybe that spell (wall somrthing) in 1st trilogy gets back and we can use it to tear enemies walls down and then attack against them.

Originally Posted By: Earth2025

as for destruction: maybe that spell (wall somrthing) in 1st trilogy gets back and we can use it to tear enemies walls down and then attack against them.

I can see it now: Avernum being terrorised by a rogue priest casting Move Mountains.

When you think about it, it's pretty pitiful: one of Avernum's most powerful mages has spent his entire life researching a spell that can drop anvils on people's heads, while all the while priest can drop mountains on them.

(One of my friends has a story about how his DM once achieved TPK by literally dropping a mountain on the party. So yeah...)

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
When you think about it, it's pretty pitiful: one of Avernum's most powerful mages has spent his entire life researching a spell that can drop anvils on people's heads, while all the while priest can drop mountains on them.

mages and priests are competitors and both tend to get "bit" insane at later age.

it would be nice to see fortresses walls crumble in front of party cause 1 spell.

Well, to be fair, Move Mountains isn't usually powerful enough to affect a mountain (it generally just knocks down walls). Plus it's working with what's already there – the hypothetical Falling Anvil spell would probably create the anvil rather than simply moving stuff around.

Udder destruction is in the works.
So that's what happened to the cave cows; I was beginning to wonder. tongue

You encounter the anvil salesman from The Music Man since he hears that someone wants to buy in bulk.
That is, until he accidentally drops his suitcase on X's foot, inadvertently inspiring X to finish the anvil-flinging spell by magically hurling the suitcase at the salesman.

I noticed the brazier with the little fire in the one screenshot. I wonder if that has a cool animation. It feels like it should.

Also, if I could make one suggestion? The minimap in this game, like the one in the final Geneforge, has land being the same color as unexplored area. This led to a bit of confusion for me in the last game as far as what I had and hadn't explored. Would it be at all possible to make them different colors in this game? It would be prettier, too. smile

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Dark.Fenix
maybe X has a room full of anvils and just opens a small portal over the target('s head) then ports it back to that room to "reload the magasine" tongue ...

Interesting concept. Since stocking this room would remove a lot of metal from the economy, a side quest for a blacksmith could be finding the anvil room.

Originally Posted By: Dark.Fenix
...conjure anvils would mean free steel and would crush the economie of the mining corporations...

Since in this case, the metal is inherently magic, I propose the following: no matter what the blacksmiths try in attempting to create other items from the magic-anvil metal, they just keep turning back into anvils. Little bitty ones.

And, hmm - who says the anvils have to be big ?

The anvils are magically decreased in size while maintaining the same mass. Eventually super-dense anvils stop being weapons of massive blunt trauma and become magical magical armor-piercing guns.

—Alorael, who can see wizards gleefully casting X's Eldritch Railgun. It has a nice ring to it, like a hammer on a superdense anvil.

Ah, yes - relativistic anvils. Accelerated too much, however, and they have a habit of sucking in their surroundings. It was once thought that magically connecting a pair of these super-sucking speed-demons (heh) could provide an alternative portal technology, but after playing an extended round of "no, you go first!", the idea was dropped.

He needs to take a relativistic journey where time passes faster for him than for us.
Are you sure you don't mean that the other way around? This proposal means we have to wait longer for whatever he's making because time is passing slower for us than for him.

(I think...)