Avernum 6 screenshots posted

From the blurb:

Quote:
Only you can help your people to get to safety before everything falls apart.

They're leaving the caves? frown

Edit: Oh, and this:

Quote:
In the midst of all of this chaos, you joined the army. You had a good, simple reason: Soldiers get food. And yet, through a run of good (or bad) fortune, you find that you have a chance to discover and confront Avernum's enemies.

This reminds me of E2.

I just Died Of anticipation.

And Amazement.

And Envy of the mac - users.

frown i have to wait until SPRING! to play it.

I also have died of the fact that the Castle needs a food DEPOT is it getting that bad? (On another note does the empire control every continent? is there no where for the avernites? cuz i recall its kinda crowded up on the surface..)

Edit: i must now buy A4. i have not bought a game that takes place in the original avernum .. only 5 lol. Must have Second trilogy~!!!!!

At the end of Avernum 3, Empress Prazac granted Avernum some land in Valorium Province in thanks for ending the Vahnatai Plagues.

Of course now that the Darkside Loyalists have taken over ....

Avernum 6 - The Battle for Resources

Jeff doesn't mention whose helping the Slith Invasion, yet. There is another villian we haven't heard from since Avernum 3 that wants to take over the caves.

lol@velzan

or you could wait tht SpidWeb releases 2nd trilogy on cd or all 6 games on dvd.

screenshots look great and way better than a4-5 and a1-3 graphics are lightyear behind.

change on (min.?) resolution helps mini-laptop owners to play a6 if computer otherwise meets requirements (opengl supported vidcard might become problem, we'll see).

a6 will follow same path as wow that human women wear tiny outfits and men are fully clothed but doubt it matters since so far humans haven't been pref. char much.

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Of course now that the Darkside Loyalists have taken over ...
Oh, do you think that will be the canonical ending for Avernum 5? I assumed Jeff would be obligated to have Redmark win, you know, because he's a Redmark.

he might let both possibilities exist on a6 and so increase replay-value.

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
a6 will follow same path as wow that human women wear tiny outfits and men are fully clothed but doubt it matters since so far humans haven't been pref. char much.

Avernum has always had one male and one female character wearing the bare minimum.

Also, Dikiyoba had to read that sentence three times to make sense of it. Proper capitalization would help a lot.

How do you Propose to Collapse all of avernum? They havent even explored all of it .

The caves are just losing their unnatural ability to produce food and stale wine.

And so We shall never know the Fate of the unexplored parts of avernum. What will happen to the dragon?

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Randomizer just made me think of Grah-Hoth...

Nah, he's just the puppet. The real master villian is Linda. Did you really think you saw the last of her? smile

Jeff did say that Melanchion will make a return even after all those adventurers killed him.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
I'm betting the Vahnatai have something to do with the Blight. Not necessarily the Olgai, but some tribe of Vahnatai or another that got annoyed by the invasion of humans...

Why would the Vahnatai destroy the food crops that they themselves rely on?

I'm guessing that the blight as either a natural phenomenon (like the potato blight), or the work of Darkside Loyalists.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Originally Posted By: Goldenking
I'm betting the Vahnatai have something to do with the Blight. Not necessarily the Olgai, but some tribe of Vahnatai or another that got annoyed by the invasion of humans...

ffffffffffff i hope not

As am I. It does seem like something they would be able to do, though. Plus, cutting off Avernum, and only Avernum, from their food would be helpful to their cause. I can't imagine the "Slith Horde" being that magically adept, or anything. The Empire might, but I can see no reason why they would. Or, it could be entirely natural.

Frankly, I'm hoping for a really explosive end to the series, here. As in, volcanoes. And lots of them.

Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug
Why would the Vahnatai destroy the food crops that they themselves rely on?

They can hibernate, remember? The vahnatai could easily destroy the mushrooms, hibernate for a few centuries and then awaken when the humans are gone and the mushrooms have grown back. But seriously, let's hope the Vahnatai stay out of this conflict.

On another note, A6 sounds a lot like A3 and A4...

Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug
I'm guessing that the blight as either a natural phenomenon (like the potato blight), or the work of Darkside Loyalists.

Based on the hints Jeff has been dropping, I'm fairly sure it's some group of people from the surface, whether the Darkside Loyalists or the Empire itself. It'd be a pretty gutsy move to make it a natural event, though.

I can't say I'm thrilled about the sliths returning as villains: between E1, ZKR and a bunch of third-party BoE scenarios, I've had my fill of fighting sliths.

I think fighting the sliths again is a nice touch. The sliths were the first major threat to Avernum (excluding the demons) and it is only fitting that they should be the last. Besides, we have known there is a huge slith kingdom somewhere beneath Avernum since A1, and having those sliths reveal themselves now brings much needed closure. What have they been up to since A1, anyway?

Very nice screenshots, me and my brother were almost drooling on the screen yesterday when I saw them. smile

Obviously the canonical ending for A5 is the one where you play a good guy, duh. Which means fighting against the main villains of the game, the Darkside Loyalists.

We've never seen the Slith's home before, we've only met the ones who got barred from their lands for being violent. It would be interesting to see where they come from at last!

Smart money:

Click to reveal..
Grah-Hoth. Even if he isn't the main villain, he will make an appearance.

I mean, why am I even putting this in a spoiler?

It is entirely possible that this Blight is naturally occurring. Avernum lacks some of the mages it once had who could cure this disaster. The Blight could have affected the slith first, and now they're migrating into human territory mostly to seize their stores of food. Bonus points to Jeff if he shows the food chain collapsing, and the dying off of much of the caves' fauna.

But is it likely? No. Jeff likes his magically caused plagues too much. To be fair, so does much of fantasy at large. A wizard always did it.

And the eye candy and interface changes, while not strictly necessary, are welcome. Ain't nothing wrong with windows, and transparency effects increase the wow factor without being too difficult to add (well, depending). I'm glad he didn't mean it when he said all the graphics would be overhauled (maybe he just mean the interface graphics, not the game ones?). It would have been far too much work for too little gain.

May just have to buy Avernum 5, I suppose. Buy 'em both, and finish them in one swell fell swoop like I did with the trilogy.

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon

And Linda, I thought she died when the Tower of Magi was destroyed?

yes but she might been transformed to demon during time spent in other dimension.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Jeff starts Mac beta testing in a few weeks. Yipee!!!
About 4 months of testing before release is the current schedule.

At long last I get to torment a game developer by doing things he didn't think possible. smile

yea and ruin most players fun. tongue

Okay, in Avernum 5 it was my fault that battle disciplines are so hard to acquire. Originally battle disciplines started at the first was 5 combat disciplines and you got one more for each additional combat discipline. Jeff was really upset that I had the first 7 in the demo with a normal character build. He'd be even madder if he saw my last build that has for the current system a character starting with 8 battle disciplines.

I still think Linda can come back. After all Garzhad came back in Avernum 4. A bigger shock would be Hawthorne.

That's it! The only way to do justice to the series would be to bring back every single villain from the previous games. Imagine a Council of Evil ran by Grah-Hoth, Hawthorne, Garzhad, Rentar-Ihrno, Dorikas, Linda, Adze-Haakai, Sss-Thoss, Sss-Thsss, Pyrog, Elderan, Limoncelli, Vyvnas-Bok, Vahkohs, Anastasia, and Dirty Dan.

In fact, not only will every villain from the Avernum games return, so will every villain from the Exile series. For instance, the first dungeon will be controlled jointly by Jordan and Bojar.

Yes, I'm pretty sure Linda died. I don't think it's possible to live much longer after being turned into a portal to who-knows-where.

EDIT: It's "Bahssikava", actually. And I haven't even played it. (Actually, there may be another H in there. But it's more correct than the other proposals.)

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
That's it! The only way to do justice to the series would be to bring back every single villain from the previous games. Imagine a Council of Evil ran by Grah-Hoth, Hawthorne, Garzhad, Rentar-Ihrno, Dorikas, Linda, Adze-Haakai, Sss-Thoss, Sss-Thsss, Pyrog, Elderan, Limoncelli, Vyvnas-Bok, Vahkohs, Anastasia, and Dirty Dan.

You forgot Darkseid and Solomon Grundy.