A Geneforge Trilogy.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently expiiencing a technical block... I reformated computer and lost my microsoft word. Hence I can't open my document of the story to add chapters. Currently working on aquireing microsoft office (Urrgghh not my desired choice but it's the most widely used) until then, sit tight and ponder possible events that could happen.

Sharx

• 4 months later...

Sorry that it has been so long. I had to take some time off to regain my imagination. It may be some time between chapters from now on but do not think that I have forgotten this tale, I wish to have it finished sometime.

Chapter 3 - Pinned

Saraph begins to prioritise his tasks. Sorting through them he gathers together a list of things he needs to do; find the Geneforge, whatever that is, get some suitable armour and figure out the new set of riddles he has now been presented with. He decides to prioritise safety first but that in itself presents a difficult problem. What material currently known is tougher than his skin? And what is so dangerous that he needs better protection? He thinks upon all the alchemical and forging texts he read in the academy library. To his knowledge, and that of the shapers, the strongest known material is puresteel. Saraph sighs, once again he is delving into the unknown and searching for what he has not a clue where to start.

Saraph opens his wings. He crouches low to the ground raising his wings in the process. With one surge he expands like an uncoiling spring forcing himself over a hundred meters into the air. As his ascent begins to slow he beats down hard with his new wings hurtling higher into the air. As Saraph gains hight his control begins to develop and the action begins to develop into second nature. He begins to experiment moving forwards, backwards, left and right and once happy he locks his wings and enters into a glide towards the tallest mountain in the circlet crowning his utopia. As he nears to land he extends his will and reforms the rock into a tower looking out over both utopia and the surrounding land. He lands heavily and clumsily upon the platform falling over onto all fours and sliding forwards a several inches before stopping.

Saraph folds his wings and stands up, he looks out towards the gate as the first settlres begin to enter and look upon the clearing with smiles. The children begin to run through the fields playing games with each other while the adults walk to the buildings and begin to unpack their belongings. Saraph spots his sister and waves at her smiling. Saraph stands waiting for his sister to arrive. Saraph steps back slightly as Charlotte reaches the platform and dismounts from a disk of flame that vanishes behind her. She sits down cross legged on the platform and remarks upon his lack of furnishing. He joins Charlotte on the floor and begins to tell her of his meeting with Izotz. He then tells her that he is leaving and wants Charlotte to continue looking over those she has brought here. As Charlotte nods agreement Saraph stands up. He raises his wings in preparation to take off when Charlotte calls out to him.

“Wait!” Saraph pauses to listen to her “You should look for a book entitled 'The Four Elements' it will help you with your first quest”

“How do you know that?” Saraph is puzzled by Charlotte's unknown knowledge

“It was read by the entity contained within the ring but it's details were long forgotten, I know only that it will help.” Saraph nods and, bringing his wings down heavily, takes flight aiming away from the hills towards the sea to the north.

Saraph spends the first hour gaining competency flying, gaining efficiency and speed. After he is happy he sinks into a repetitive rhythm and begins to think upon where he would find this book his sister spoke of. He was currently flying towards the shaper academy on Greenwood isle in the Ashen isles. As Saraph thought his senses dulled and he didn't realise a gentle thudding similar to that his own wings created. Saraph starts as a loud bang sounds behind him and to his left shortly after he experiences a heavy blow to his midsection and a blur shoots away to his right. Saraph tries to regain control as he is sent spiralling down towards the ground below him. He locks his eyes upon the blur as it doubles back on itself and shoots towards him again. Saraph is helpless and can only attempt to right himself as he falls, the blur shooting towards him getting closer to him. Saraph manages to right himself just as the blur reaches him. Once again Saraph is redirected only this time the blur had solidified into a shape and was grasping Saraph by the neck and propelling both of them towards the ground.

Saraph grasp the assailants arm and struggles to prise it from around his neck with no success. Moments later the ground catches up to them and Saraph is thrown into the floor as his attacker absorbs the shock through his legs always keeping his hand locked around Saraph's throat. Saraph lies there pressed into the ground on his back while he tries to see who has so easily overpowered him. The man is knelt on one knee his right arm pressing Saraph's neck into the floor his face shadowed within a black hood. The man's armour is so black that it seems to steal the light from the surrounding area as well. It looks like it is made of shadows with light wispy sections covering his body while there are solid opaque sections that lay over his shoulders and around his waist and thighs. The opaque sections also cover his hands like gauntlets and his feet are covered all the way up to just below the knee. Saraph also notes that the man has wings that are black feathered. Saraph lies still waiting for the man to reveal why he lies on his back with a hand at his throat.

Sharx.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

It's been a long time fellow Gene-forgers. I stopped writing this story because I lost track of where it should be heading and (in my opinion) broke most of the fundamental structure in writing a good fantasy story.

I learnt a great lesson from this but would like to say to everyone that whilst I enjoyed writing it Saraph became too strong to allow for a believable struggle and I could see the ending becoming a massive anti-climax.

I will be setting my imagination to paper/screen once more and take these lessons to heart to grant you a greater and more in depth account of how I view being a shaper should be like, whilst attempting to engage the audience (you) allong the journey.

For now however I say bon nuit, and let you know Saraph realised his limitless potential and passed beyond mortal desires to spend his days ignoring the world in self reflection.

• 4 weeks later...

Its not so much a complaint as i just never figured that out as it didnt make sense. It allowed people another way of specializing your melee characters by giving them a chance to get a high critical hit for melee. It was cool as you have another choice instead of quick action.

Having choices were always a problem for me in the geneforge series. Your either melee, ranged or magic. And all three need creations. I always thought that there should be different choices like what i was just saying above. Its cool when you play geneforge 1 and then go to 2. But by 3 4 and 5, ive already made all the characters before. In avernum 4-6, as much as the story wasnt as cool (imo) as geneforge's, you could specialize your character so much more. You could make a rogue, a brute fighter, an archer, a throwing master. It was all just more choices, thats it and getting rid of anatomy kind of didnt make sense. Ive always liked the geneforge series, just never got why jeff removed it.