My Scenario: Contents of Pandora's Box. Preview thread

lampshade

Hmm. What version of the game are you using? Are you making this with the version from the Google Code site?

Because, if so, there's a masking problem with some of the items that Chokboyz will likely want to look into...

Also... "Argh, Windows graphics".

Well, the transcript looks interesting... as does the inventory.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Hmm. What version of the game are you using? Are you making this with the version from the Google Code site?

Because, if so, there's a masking problem with some of the items that Chokboyz will likely want to look into...

Don't worry the "custom items masking problem" has been fixed in the first beta (thus he doesn't use it).

Nothing essential here, if he isn't using any custom graphic, it's ok ...

Chokboyz

Edit : find Classic BoE beta 1 here : http://code.google.com/p/openexile/downloads/list
Hum, 49 downloads ? Either someone is repeatingly losing his copy of the game or i'm going to have to upload some kind of release quite soon (to test/take advantage of the new drawing method for example) ...

Edit2 :
Originally Posted By: lampshade
custom scenario loading problem

Fixed
and using his scenario editor BREAKS the scenario

Never encountered that since, so i think it's fixed (keep a save copy just in case ...).

In case you wonder : Classic BoE is fully compatible with the original BoE (and even with PPC Mac BoE Savefiles/Scenarios), the mechanics being essentially the same. The scenario editor and the character editor have also been updated (see changelog).
When GoogleCode will have finished maintenance, i'll upload a new version of the code with some changes (and maybe release Beta 1.1 ...)

Ah, and nice to see a new scenario being designed wink

Chokboyz I'll use your stuff when it goes official; I don't feel like risking my precious scenario.

I can understand losing your work is quite scaring wink
Just so you know, the "beta" status is a purely arbitrary flag i've given to the current release, as it's nothing more than a bug-fixed original BoE executable (ok, it's also adapted to work on modern 32 bits Windows version).

Apart from that, feel free to give Classic BoE a try (put it on a separate folder) and report any bug found here ... Feedback is always appreciated wink

Chokboyz

Hmm, is this a case of "speaking someone's name summons them"? I haven't seen Chokboyz for days, and then I mention his name and BOOM! there he is.

*Appears out of nowhere* Who calls my name ? grin
It's simpler than that : i check the board everyday, but log only when i've something to post wink

To lampshade :

i've found this old post of yours : http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthr...true#Post114792, which, i think, pretty describe the problem you were having with the scenario editor. I've so far, never seen this problem happens (even when following your step-by-step "crash-course"). From the error numbers you had in the old post, the crash occured while opening the scenario file (error num 12 at the very beginning of the save function, so the scenario file was, somehow, already wacky ... probably from a previous faulty save) and while copying the dummy scenario file to the scenario file (it's the way the scenario is saved : first in a dummy then copied into the scenario file). So, in both case, the scenario file was in bad shape when the save function was called (and yes, the editor could be the culprit smile ).

If you (or anyone) ever have some time to spare, could you test the current version of the scenario editor (i've uploaded it in the download section of the repository) to see if such things happens again (no luck on my side).
On a larger scale, if anyone feels like doing some beta-testing, i will happily upload the current build of the game executable (graphic drawing functions changed, need testing from other people). Report any bug in the compiled suggestion list thread or directly to the issue pages of the repository.

Thanks,
Chokboyz

Chokboyz your binaries are A++ quality

Wow ... Thanks blush (but don't forget Ormus and Ishad Nha)

I've implemented some important changes in the current version of the code (mainly porting the file IO functions of the scenario editor to 32 bits, meaning the scenario editor should behaves better with newer Windows OS, and changing the way graphic, are drawn to remove the use of a storage sheet, meaning a faster game, on-the-fly mac/windows graphic switching, no more graphical limitation, possible graphic corruption fixed). I've uploaded an updated Scenario Editor executable in the repository if anyone wants to test it further (mainly file IO functions : load, save, new scenario, ...).

I'm actually testing the new drawing method : if i can complete the scenario i'm in (Emulation) without any graphical glitch appearing and if no critical bug appears in the Scenario Editor, i'll release Classic BoE beta 1.1.

That said, i'll stop hijacking your scenario thread wink
Chokboyz

I like the Windows graphics. The Mac graphics are too dark. I like the Mac grass, but not anything else.

Looks interesting so far, although two things:

1. "Memento", not "Momento". "Mem" as in memory. A memento is something you keep to remember someone or something by. That's how I remember it, anyway.

2. Perhaps that series of Small Text Messages might be better placed as a Display Message dialog box instead. Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, looks cool so far! It's great that people still design for BoE.

• 7 months later...

One vague suggestion..."scale mail" may be the popularly used term, but the correct term is "segmented laminar" or something along those lines, IIRC...although the name is rather long, using something like that might help add to the character (though, not having any idea what your scenario is about, it's hard to say).

Also, now that custom graphics is fixed, greaves can be made to properly create a full suit of armour.

Originally Posted By: Thaluikhain
One vague suggestion..."scale mail" may be the popularly used term, but the correct term is "segmented laminar" or something along those lines, IIRC...although the name is rather long, using something like that might help add to the character (though, not having any idea what your scenario is about, it's hard to say).

You're probably thinking of lamellar armour, which is similar but not identical to scale armour. "Scale mail" is indeed technically incorrect, though.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...