I tried everything...

desromic

I accidentally deactivated my character editor on avernum 3. This website says all you have to do is delete the Avernum.dat file in the Avernum Data folder. I didnt find an avernum3.dat file, so I uninstalled and reinstalled avernum 3, making sure all files everywhere were deleted and replaced. But it didn't change anything. What's strange is that despite doing that, the game was still registered.

What do I need to do? confused (running Windows Vista)

• 2 months later...

This isn't quite related to the OP's question, but it is related to the search for the Avernum.dat file.

I too had the problem of not being able to find the Avernum.dat file no matter how hard I looked, and I could not find an answer to this on the forums. I ended up solving my problem with a casual case of "I wonder what this button does", and I figured I'd post my findings here, in-case there is anyone else here that is having this problem (/will have this problem) and can't find a satisfactory answer anywhere else.

There is a button underneath the a folder's address bar (the /data folder in this case) called Compatability Files which is where, at least on my computer, the various Avernum.dat files are stored. As far as I can tell, even doing a full search of your computer does not bring up this folder or any of the files in it.

G229.png

Hopefully this information can help some people.

• 4 months later...