Northern Isles Game 6

*i

Thank you everyone for agreeing to play. Here are the ground rules. Only the moderator (me) and people who are playing the game and are alive may post here. Anything else will be instantly deleted.

The current living players are:

Ackrovan

Andraste

Ash Lael

Creator

Dikiyoba

Doom Warrior

Marlenny

Nalyd

Nioca

Sarachim

Sporefrog

Tarson

Terrors Martyr

W-Dueck

Wz As

Xelgion

Some ground rules:

1) If you are playing PLEASE READ ALL THE RULES. They have been updated since the last game.

2) Private communication is allowed.

3) Submit your actions to me by way of PM in the thread I started with you. If I cannot figure out what you want to do, I'll simply ignore it, so try to be clear.

4) Actions will be processed in the order they were received when I get around to them. Read the rules for how often you can submit and any other exceptions.

5) Please posts all rules questions in your PM with me or in the rules topics.

6) If you are not playing or dead, please do not influence the game. You may look, but not touch.

Otherwise, the game begins:

Thursday, May 28 at 1:30 AM EDT

If you do not communicate with me within 24 hours of me sending it to you, you may be replaced.

Just a reminder, no actions that kill anyone will be processed until after a day has passed.

Also, the game will end at the latest on:

Tuesday, June 2 at 1:30 AM EDT

MODERATOR SHOP

Vulnerability Scroll (30)

Warding Crystal (30)

Ironskin Balm (45)

Rod of Alacrity (45)

Chritrach Eggs (60)

Hello everyone. As you may have heard, I'm Craftmaster Strine. I'm willing to make items for people in a mutually beneficial arrangement. Items I can make are on the left, followed by the ingredients I need.

Crystal Spire = Killer Poison + Ironskin Balm

Heroic Brew = Warding Crystal

Wand of Death = Antidote + Resistance Elixir

Poison Potion = Disruption Crystal

Rod of Alacrity = Ivory Skull

PM me if you're interested.

Let's congratulate our winners:

Creator

Dikiyoba

Nioca

Sarachim

Terrors Martyr

Wz As

The roles were:

Ackrovan as Domont

Andraste as Anama Priest

Ash Lael as Micklebur

Creator as Shanker

Dikiyoba as Oliver

Doom Warrior as Darkside Blademaster

Marlenny as Darkside Mage

Nalyd as Empire Spy

Nioca as Machrone

Sarachim as Bound Servant

Sporefrog as Dionicio

Tarson as Pure Spirit

Terrors Martyr as Gladwell

W-Dueck as Skribbane Addict

Wz As as Craftmaster Strine

Xelgion as Ronaldo

Log:

Day 1

Bound Servant does odd jobs, gets coins +10

Bound Servant gives 20 coins to Darkside Mage

Micklebur solicits a donation of 10 coins

Machrone joins Gladwell

Machrone answers question, gets 10 coins

Oliver views inventories of Anama Priest, Machrone, and Craftmaster Strine

Day 2

Gladwell compels Bound Servant to attack Pure Spirit

Bound Servant kills Pure Spirit, gets Warding Crystal

Empire Spy attacks Bound Servant

Bound Servant kills Empire Spy

Darkside Blademaster kills Dionicio, gets Fury Crossbow

Machrone gives 40 coins to Gladwell

Gladwell purchases Holy Symbol from Moderator

Gladwell uses Holy Symbol

Micklebur solicits a 20 coin donation

Ronaldo purchases antidote from Moderator

Ronaldo poisons Shanker, but Shanker is immune

Craftmaster Strine joins Gladwell

Day 3

Ronaldo gives Skribbane to Skribbane Addict

Skribbane Addict buys Skribbane from Moderator Shop

Domont attacks Micklebur

Micklebur kills Domont, gets Ivory Skull

Darkside Blademaster gives Fury Crossbow to Bound Servant

Darkside Blademaster attacks Gladwell,

Gladwell kills Darkside Blademaster

Bound Servant trades with Craftmaster Strine

Craftmaster Strine converts Warding Crystal to Heroic Brew

Gladwell compels Bound Servant to kill Darkside Mage

Bound Servant kills Darkside Mage

Craftmaster Strine buys Killer Poison

Skribbane Addict uses Skribbane

Skribbane Addict kills Ronaldo, gets Antidote

Day 4

Oliver buys Ivory Skull form Moderator

Oliver trades items to CM Strine

CM Strine makes Crystal Spire, Heroic Brew, and Rod of Alacrity

CM String gives Crystal Spire, Heroic Brew, and Rod of Alacrity to Oliver

Gladwell changes immunity to physical

Machrone answers question, receives 10 coins

Gladwell gives Holy Symbol to CM Strine

Oliver sees inventory of Machrone, Bound Servant, and Shanker

Skribbane Addict learns Bound Servant does not have Skribbane

Machrone gives 5 coins to Oliver

Bound Servant learns last action of Empire Spy

Machrone gives 15 coins to Oliver

Craftmaster String gives 15 coins and Holy Symbol to Oliver

Day 5

Machrone answers a question, gets 10 coins

Bound Servant trades with Oliver: Heroic Brew for Holy Symbol

Anama Priest resurrects Dionicio

Bound Servant gives Holy Symbol to Anama Priest

Anama Priest uses Holy Symbol

Sporefrog joins the Anama

Game Over

Just a note to avoid criticism:

The Anama Priest would have won had Oliver not misidentified her. He tried to join Micklebur, which is invalid and therefore he did not join in time.

The Skribbane Addict for some reason only used Skribbane once, despite having a second copy.

I hate being a jerk about the rules like that, but they are clear. The requirement to ID someone was placed in because there was an issue about joining factions and being tricked into it (Fae aside). This prevents this sort of abuse.

Otherwise, this was a pretty slow game. I would like your guys thoughts on it. I have several ideas for the merchant roles so the game does not turn into a mad dash of trades at the end.

Q1) Who purchased the first item from the Moderator shop?

A1) Terrors Martyr

Q2) What is the identity (name and role) of a merchant?

A2) Wz As as Craftmaster Strine

Q3) What is one of the artifacts Gladwell seeks?

A3) Holy Symbol

Q4) What is the name and role of the person who killed the first person?

A4) Sarachim the Bound Servant

Q5) Who started with the Assassin Leather?

A5) Ash Lael

Q6) Who are all the servants of Gladwell (names only)?

A6) Sarachim, Nioca, and Wz As

Q7) What is the name and role of one of the Darkside Loyalist random targets? (Not Empire Spy or Adventurer)

A7) Xelgion as Rolando

Q8) What items and artifacts did Oliver start with in his shop?

A8) Flaming Sword, Antidote, Ironskin Balm, Poison Potion, Warding Crystal

Q9) What is the name and role of the first person Ronaldo targeted with his ability?

A9) Creator as Shanker

Q10) What is the name and role of the person who purchased the first item from the Moderator Shop and what was that item?

A10) Terrors Martyr as Gladwell purchased Holy Symbol

Q11) What is the current immunity of Gladwell?

A11) Physical

Yeah, I know, Q1 and Q10 are very similar. This was a mistake on my part.

Ackrovan, for the love of god, as Domont your job is to identify who the other DLs are (you even get an ability to do so and everything) and not be spreading around your list of enemies. Especially without knowing for certain if the person you are telling this to is an enemy.

Really sorry that things didn't go well for you, Doomy. I should've replied to you on time and tell you to get rid of Sarachim frown

And apologies to Sporefrog and Tarson tongue

Great job to the rest of you. TM did specially well considering it was his first game.

Hmmm...

Well, first thoughts is that Shanker seemed a bit screwed. If it wasn't for w-dueck falling asleep at the wheel and Dikiyoba misidentifying someone, he would have lost. You can't really trust him because he could be trying to make you lose. In that respect, his victory condition and his abilities contradict heavily.

Also, the Machrone role was rather easy. If it wasn't for most of the questions pertaining to my alliance with Gladwell, which I couldn't answer without blowing my allies' covers, I would have had it at Day 3.

Come to think of it, a lot of people were asleep at the wheel this game. Xelgion somehow missed the widely-known bit that I was the Machrone, and bought my line that I was the Fae when asked about my role. w-dueck didn't use Skribbane a second time despite having it in his inventory since Day 3. Marlenny bowed out for a while and got killed. And Ackrovan thought he had a combat role...

Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

I don't know if I'd call the game slow. We had an active day 1, and an absolutely manic day 2. After that, TM and I had met our win condition, so things naturally slowed down. I'd say there was as much action as usual for me, just clustered at the beginning.

I like the five-day length. The deadline actually mattered this time. On the downside, the limited time caused several people to lose on a technicality. That's too bad, but probably avoidable in the future without any major rule changes.

Marlenny, Doom Warrior: you should have killed me when you had the chance! tongue

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Well, first thoughts is that Shanker seemed a bit screwed. If it wasn't for w-dueck falling asleep at the wheel and Dikiyoba misidentifying someone, he would have lost.

And if my grandfather had a uterus he'd be my grandmother. What's your point? Everyone needs a bit of luck to win.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Originally Posted By: Nioca
Well, first thoughts is that Shanker seemed a bit screwed. If it wasn't for w-dueck falling asleep at the wheel and Dikiyoba misidentifying someone, he would have lost.

And if my grandfather had a uterus he'd be my grandmother. What's your point? Everyone needs a bit of luck to win.

Not what I meant. His victory conditions contradict his role as a team-builder. You couldn't actually trust him, since he could be trying to make you lose.

EDIT: See Sarachim below. He explains it better.

Really, Ackrovan singlehandedly wrecked what could have been a decent struggle. I would have lost my muscle, and I'd have been forced to aid the DLs against the Anama.

Seriously, Ackrovan. Don't spill out all the info without contacting at least one ally who's in the know. If you had just waited, you wouldn't have gotten all of your allies killed.

Honestly, I would be surprised if people thought I was the Addict, given that the real addict would have contacted people looking for drugs, and anyone he contacted would have known I was a fraud.

I think Nioca's point, which I agree with, was that as Shanker Creator had very little control over his own destiny, and his win depended almost entirely on luck.

No other players have much incentive to try to keep someone alive and make them lose; if you need someone to lose, chances are your best bet is to kill them. Furthermore, Shanker doesn't care who loses as long as someone does, so it's hard to trust her. For these reasons, her info-gathering ability is not very useful, since it only helps if she cooperates extensively with others, and the role is ill-suited to that. I'd suggest replacing her current ability with one more directly related to her goals.

Well, I told Dikiyoba that Ash was the priest because that's what my faction informed me. Admittedly, I was working somewhat outside my faction's endorsement, so maybe we all could have coordinated more.

My job was pretty easy. None of my enemies made it into this round, and I was one of Gladwell's targets so I had a built in support network. It's pretty easy for Oliver and Strine to work together, I think, if they can identify each other; one needs lots of items, and the other needs to make lots of items.

I thought TM and Sarachim played Gladwell/Servant very well. In particular, for TM to pose as the skribbane addict initially was a good way to try to locate his target Strine.

I didn't get the impression that Shanker was very effective this round, but maybe I just didn't see what was going on behind the scenes.

EDIT: Others have commented on Shanker's situation better than I.

Quote:
Really, Ackrovan singlehandedly wrecked what could have been a decent struggle. I would have lost my muscle, and I'd have been forced to aid the DLs against the Anama.

Seriously, Ackrovan. Don't spill out all the info without contacting at least one ally who's in the know. If you had just waited, you wouldn't have gotten all of your allies killed.

Yeah. Totally my fault. Sorry about my epic fail.

The Last Archon

It was about the only thing of signifgance I did in the entire game. No one trusted me, and without the warding ability I had nothing to offer to anyone. Being able to determine if two players were enemies might have helped if I actually had some way of stopping them from killing each other.

Being difficult to kill did save me from being poisoned, but I would have much prefered a more proactive ability. Alternately, changing the victory condition so that it was more about saving lives, rather than thwarting goals could be good too, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that in a balanced way. Perhaps the Shanker should need to have done some task for each Player dead at the end of the game. (accumulate gold? prevent 1 death for every 2 kills?)

Quote:
Perhaps the Shanker should need to have done some task for each Player dead at the end of the game.

This is a good idea. I will think about it.

What I'm thinking is to give Shanker five random roles (perhaps not entirely to make it interesting) to keep alive. For each that is dead, she needs an artifact at the end of the game.

My role as pure spirit was weak. I had no good powers and I had to take down the darksiders. The few allies I managed to find wernt very strong either. My immunity to the wand of death would have been helpful if anyone felt the need to waste one of the games most powerful objects on me.