Avernum 6 - May Update.

Spidweb

I am finally posting some long overdue information about Avernum 6. I was hoping to release screenshots and more detailed plot information next month, but here is a bit of what's been going on.

Avernum 6 is in full development, and the demo section is almost done. I still hope to have the Mac version out for Christmas. It will be the last Avernum game.

(OK, I think it'd be really neat to do a game about the first days of Avernum, like Avernum: Origins, but not until the far future.)

The storyline is the most detailed and twisty of any Avernum game. I think it's really cool. It's definitely very apocalyptic. Much of Avernum is going to be trashed. (Or trashed again.)

Many characters will return, and some of them will get the dramatic ends to their stories they deserve. Much of the future of Avernum and its place in the world will be settled. (And, of course, the player will make a real difference in this.)

Other things of note:

* Every graphic has been redone. All of the icons will be anti-aliased and have shadows, which makes the game look much nicer. It's the prettiest game we've ever done.

* I will use and expand upon all interface improvements from Geneforge 5. Being able to play in a window, play at any resolution, etc.

* The buffing system will be very similar to Geneforge 5. Haste is weaker now, and you can have fewer buffs overall. Haste potions will be full double actions, though, the sort from the older games.

* A bunch of game and system improvements. Dual-wielding weapons is back. The world map will be much more useful, as will quest destination marks on your map. You can see full information about items by mousing over them. (Finally!)

* My favorite trio of wizards, Solberg, Lark, and Gladwell, return. As does X. And many other familiar faces.

* The game takes place in Avernum. The old Avernum. But, for the first time, you start in the Great Cave.

* The final fate of Avernum, it turns out, is something I've been foreshadowing since Exile 2.

* Anama, no. Skribbane, yes. And yes, the first hit is free.

Hope this information is of interest.

- Jeff Vogel

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, lots of improvements and changes. Dual weapons will be interesting compared to pole weapons.

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
Many characters will return, and some of them will get the dramatic ends to their stories they deserve. Much of the future of Avernum and its place in the world will be settled. (And, of course, the player will make a real difference in this.)

- Jeff Vogel

Tor is sitting in the Great Cave yelling at the party to get off his lawn and grumbling about getting no respect anymore for being the guy that used to hand out stone daggers to the new Exiles back at Fort Avernum.

(OK, I think it'd be really neat to do a game about the first days of Avernum, like Avernum: Origins, but not until the far future.)

I agree, that would be very cool. To see how the wizards drove back the monsters and created the moss. Maybe see the Castle under construction?

* A bunch of game and system improvements. Dual-wielding weapons is back. The world map will be much more useful, as will quest destination marks on your map. You can see full information about items by mousing over them. (Finally!)

Dual wielding would be cool, interested to see how that works. I love the added functionality of the map, so useful. And mousing over items to see information? That is great!

The final fate of Avernum, it turns out, is something I've been foreshadowing since Exile 2.

Wait, Exile 2 and not Avernum 2? Did something happen in Exile that didn't happen in the remake? I wonder if this points to war between the Empire and the Avernites....

This game sounds awesome, and I can't wait to see screenshots. If Spiderweb Software had a pre-ordering system, I would have ordered it already. smile

i've always thought that an avernum: origins would be nice.

and i'm sure he meant that it wasn't anything that happened in exile that didn't happen in avernum, but he just said exile because it was released long before avernum.\

edit: fixed a grammar error that i just found.

Originally Posted By: Toby-Linn
The final fate of Avernum, it turns out, is something I've been foreshadowing since Exile 2.

Wait, Exile 2 and not Avernum 2?

Exile 2 was made earlier than Avernum 2. If you were advertising Coca-Cola, you wouldn't say it's been made since 2001 when you could say it's been made since 1886, would you?

The haste idea is very clever. It makes potions useful and valuable, and it keeps that overpowered haste for when you absolutely need to be overpowered.

—Alorael, who sees no need for sad faces. Jeff is enthusiastic about his game, and it will end things with a bang. It will be pretty. It will be nifty. It could conceivably be terrible, but it sure sounds like Jeff is working very hard at making it awesome instead. His track record is fairly good at pulling this sort of thing off.

So, as Elohi-Bok said, competition for resources in the caves leads to some kind of ultimate power struggle. IIRC that was the only apocalyptic lead given in Exile 2, that wasn't given in Exile 1. The Olgai tribe is supposedly asleep, so either we have more Rentar followers (NO.) or another Vahnatai tribe. (Presumably the Darkside Loyalists get in on the fun as well.)

Demons, mages, dragons, sliths, nephils, and the Empire are all out -- I don't think there were any real additions on those fronts, as far as apocalyptics go, in Exile 2.

Maybe the portals all become unstable like the "Destroy the Empire Portal" situation in E2. They are all going crazy and you have tho first take the Onyx Scepter to all of them as your first main mission. Bad things come through. Mayhem ensues. Any way one slices it, I am REALLY glad to know that duals are back. I was never sure if it would get another go round. I hope the selection of shields and the almost certain -to hit% makes the choice to double up a difficult one. Can't wait to sink my teeth into the demo.

I think it's sort of obvious that Avernum 6 will likely revolve around open conflict over resources in Avernum. Not only was this a touchy issue in Avernum 5, it's inevitable that people are going to have to eventually fight over the finite amount of space and resources in the underworld.

It just raises the question: Who would the Empire support if Avernum was attacked? Obviously the Vahnatai are out, but Dorikas (if he lives) might not want to support traitors to the Empire either. He'd probably just sit back and enjoy the show. On the other hand, the Vahnatai don't exactly have a rosy history with the Empire, so allowing them to gain more power might not be a good idea.

It's definitely very apocalyptic. Much of Avernum is going to be trashed. (Or trashed again.)

Doesn't Avernum get trashed in pretty much every Avernum game? wink

Quote:

* My favorite trio of wizards, Solberg, Lark, and Gladwell, return. As does X. And many other familiar faces.

I've been dying to know if X finally got his anvil spell finished...

Originally Posted By: Solimpsest
So, as Elohi-Bok said, competition for resources in the caves leads to some kind of ultimate power struggle. IIRC that was the only apocalyptic lead given in Exile 2, that wasn't given in Exile 1. The Olgai tribe is supposedly asleep, so either we have more Rentar followers (NO.) or another Vahnatai tribe. (Presumably the Darkside Loyalists get in on the fun as well.)

I have no trouble with people still following Rentar, as long as their role is no more prominent than the Mad Monks' from Exile/Avernum 3. But it's a pretty safe bet to assume, that the Vahnatai are fed up with humans and the lot intruding on their homeland and farming their mushroom. From all we've seen in Avernum 5 the caves just aren't big enough for everybody. It's gonna be so much fun - I just know it.

Originally Posted By: The MAN
* I will use and expand upon all interface improvements from Geneforge 5. Being able to play in a window, play at any resolution, etc.

smile

Originally Posted By: The MAN
* The buffing system will be very similar to Geneforge 5. Haste is weaker now, and you can have fewer buffs overall. Haste potions will be full double actions, though, the sort from the older games.

Sweet

Quote:
*As does X.

I'm waiting on that anvil spell.

Quote:
* The game takes place in Avernum. The old Avernum. But, for the first time, you start in the Great Cave.

Nice change of pace.

Quote:
* Anama, no. Skribbane, yes. And yes, the first hit is free.

Yeah for Skribbane!

I'm actually a little surprised the Anama will not be returning in this game. I had gotten the feeling that they were forshadowing to become a major influence in the next game. Oh well.

So, what about the cave cows? You promised in the Avernum 5 hype thread that they'd return. smile

The Last Archon

From the instructions for Avernum 6:

X's Falling Anvil (Min. Mage Spells skill 17, Costs 25 spell energy) - The most powerful attack spell available to mages. It strikes foes in a circular area with an intense physical blow. As you gain more skill with this spell, the damage increases. Effect: Does 30 damage plus 1-6 points per point of spell strength to all foes in the circle.

OK, OK, I'll admit. I haven't read all of the responses, but the thing I would like to see is a new and better engine. No offence, but the new engine has too stiff animations, I simply don't like it. The best engine, in my opinion, is the one from Avernum 3, so I think it'll be either that or a brand new one. And AFTER Avernum 6, I belive Avernum Online is the way to go. I would join the SECOND it would be out. I don't think It's just me, I bet other people would be thrilled to get in.

@lampsahde

I don't think a new playable race would hurt us. HINT: Vahnahtai

This sounds very exciting. Especially the return of dual wielding. I hope it'll make my melee weapon user as powerful as my pole arm user. I also hope Jeff will bring back some old weapon types like maces, flails and crossbows just to add that final dimension to the game. Comboing your Frozen Blade with the Oozing blade etc, should be intersting.

This sounds like it is going to be soooooo epic! I simply can't wait! I think the two things Id most like to see in the game are:

1. the ability to roam free in world and just ignore the plot for a bit (like Avernums 1 and 2, and 3 except of course that stuff changed if you messed around for too long in 3). I missed being able to do that in A5 and while the linearity of it was good it didnt feel like clasic Avernum gameplay.

and

2. I hope it feels as epic as it sounds like it's going to be. A lot of people complained when Jeff updated the engine for A4 that without the "outside" Avernum didn't feel as big and epic anymore. I kind of agree and I hope this is addressed in A6 since it'll be set in the same caves.

All the same whatever Jeff does it's bound to be a great game. Can't wait for the screenshots next month!!!

P.S Avernum Online has been discussed before I'm sure. Although lots of people would love to play it it'll never happen. Shame really. I think Jeff should sell the Avernum rights when he retires so someone else can do it.

Originally Posted By: feline monstrosity
P.S Avernum Online has been discussed before I'm sure. Although lots of people would love to play it it'll never happen. Shame really. I think Jeff should sell the Avernum rights when he retires so someone else can do it.

I think this has been partially addressed in Jeff's blog. He doesn't know how to code to convert the game successfully to online format. No one wants to buy him out to sell the game rights to would do it online.

PC requirements will probably be the same as for Geneforge 5. Jeff hasn't said whether he is using OpenGL or staying with DirectX for graphics. After all the complaints with Geneforge 5, Jeff will probably hold off on making major changes that prevent it's use on older computers.

Originally Posted By: Reve
I think, in all the games, Erika was the person I missed when she died the most.
How exactly does somebody die the most? I thought that when you're dead, you're dead. tongue
Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
I just have to say that I'd love to see an Avernum: Origins!
Yes, it would be interesting to see. I'd like to see the Empire's original expedition in Avernum, or maybe Hawthorme's rise to power, or the political struggle that got Solberg, Erika, X, etc. sent down to the caves.

Originally Posted By: Fin de siècle
It would be a survival horror RPG. I'd play it.

The most likely interpretation of your remark is that you're joking about such an unlikely combination of genres. If you have in fact heard of Sweet Home, the RPG that TV Tropes claims was also the first survival horror game, good on you for your knowledge and your reference. Myself, just from what TV Tropes has to say about the game, I suspect those genres should never be combined again.

I could see for Avernum: Origins starting out as assistants to the great wizards: Solberg, Patrick, Erika, X, Rone, Aimee, ... and finding out that it means doing meaningless tasks of finding ingredients and pest control. Eventually it could lead up to the assaults on Grah-Hoth's fortresses and his imprisonment.

The First Expedition could be fun. Try to survive getting caught up in the deaths of various members in the Metris Spiral, and all those other places where you find the bodies in Avernum 1. If you find a route back to the surface you win.

I've heard of Sweet Home, but I don't think a survival horror RPG would necessarily be bad. Just very different in all ways from survival horror FPS games and the like. More H. P. Lovecraft, less splatter.

—Alorael, who thinks that in Avernum in particular the emphasis would have to be on hardscrabble survival rather than horror.