Question reguarding Geneforge 5

The Lost Anvil

On Macs, the memory allocation is handled automatically. In other words, you can't. On Windows, I'm not sure, but I suspect it's much the same.

If it's lagging due to a lack of memory, though (and I suppose there could be other reasons it's lagging) then it probably means that your computer simply doesn't have enough to allocate more for the game... though, with modern computers this seems unlikely...

Yeah, I didn't think that was likely.

I know Windows often has a lot of background processes running. You could try killing some of them. Or you could restart in safe mode and see if it still lags. I'm not sure what that does, but it may reduce the number of background processes.

Or you could wait for someone who knows more about Windows to respond, and take their advice. wink

Originally Posted By: The Lost Anvil
Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 is my GPU and I use XP.

In other words, you don't have a real GPU. That's your problem. Turning on some of the fast graphics options will probably help, but beyond that you may just have to deal with some lag.

Do you play games with lots of programs running?

Like internet, instant messaging, music player, etc? You could try closing all programs you don't need open and try the game then.

I know on my previous XP computer, whenever I ran Firefox it would sometimes run at 100% CPU Usage, which would make the computer very slow.

Well, you could try upgrading your memory to 1GB. RAM is really cheap these days. However, I'm still pretty sure that your problem lies with the graphics. The more graphically demanding games that you've run on this system probably used DirectX. Geneforge 5 uses OpenGL which, in general, doesn't work well in Windows. Also, the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip is 4 years old at least. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think you will every be able to play it on your computer.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
The more graphically demanding games that you've run on this system probably used DirectX. Geneforge 5 uses OpenGL which, in general, doesn't work well in Windows.

You could try using the DirectX version of Geneforge 5: Geneforge 5 DX.exe instead of Geneforge 5.exe .