Default Graphic Sets

Celtic Minstrel

Originally Posted By: Cryolemon
Makes sense, thanks for the info. Are there (Or could you make) other versions that do magic or dark damage?
BoE already allowed you to create terrains that do magic damage. I have now changed it so that you can create terrains that do any type of damage.

I'm not particularly interested in including graphics to support that, though.

Originally Posted By: Mistb0rn
Oh, CM, one more question. Will the new engine allow for setting the trim type on individual terrains? If we're adding new lava etc. it seems like there ought to be something like that. Also, will there be an option for including a new terrain in compatibility for a terrain set that automatically adjusts? e.g. compatibility between surface water and the new rapids.
Setting trim type should already work, though it's not actually tested. Compatibility for automatic adjustment is planned; however, it's going to be difficult to figure out how to do it. This only affects the editor, though, and I also plan to create an option to disable automatic adjustment, which should work well enough until I get the other thing working.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but have you determined the proper theme for the purple carpets yet? If not, I'll put everything I have on them and you can decide later what you want to keep.

Also, theme ideas for the other floors I have (Orange on 705, pink cobblestone on 704, the green tiles from 706, the gray stone on 704, the light one right after the mosaics on 705 and its inverse on 709, and the dark blue one on 709) would be helpful, or I could come up with them by myself if you'd prefer.

Eep, that's a lot of floors.

• Purple carpet should probably be a "fancy" theme.
  • Pink cobblestone (704) should probably be "rustic"?
  • Gray stone (704) seems roughly equivalent to the existing stone floor. I'm not sure if we need that one, but if we do include it it should probably have a similar theme.
  • The orange one on 705 (brick, maybe?) would also have a regular sort of theme, I think.
  • The rough stone floors (705/709) should probably also be "rustic". Do we really need both of them, though?
  • Green tiles (706) should have a Vahnatai theme, I think.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Gray stone (704) seems roughly equivalent to the existing stone floor. I'm not sure if we need that one, but if we do include it it should probably have a similar theme.

Similar to Exile, or similar to Avernum?

The animations I made for the rapids aren't too impressive, but it's a little hard to make them look 'rapid' when the only animation speed is 'sluggish' tongue

Also, I made lavafalls for the Avernum lava and the anti-lava slush. I've always thought that lavafalls would look really cool. Do you want them?

EDIT: I'm wondering if you would like the other Vahnatai floor as well as (or preferably instead of) the green tiles? The ones from sheet 706 currently look too modern for my liking.

Gray stone (704) seems roughly equivalent to the existing stone floor. I'm not sure if we need that one, but if we do include it it should probably have a similar theme.

Similar to Exile, or similar to Avernum?
I was talking about Exile's stone floor there.

The animations I made for the rapids aren't too impressive, but it's a little hard to make them look 'rapid' when the only animation speed is 'sluggish' tongue
Good enough. The waterfall animations are slow too, aren't they?

Though, I thought you were only animating the water while the rapids actually stayed the same. But it's likely better this way.

Also, I made lavafalls for the Avernum lava and the anti-lava slush. I've always thought that lavafalls would look really cool. Do you want them?
Well, I'd like to see them at least.

EDIT: I'm wondering if you would like the other Vahnatai floor as well as (or preferably instead of) the green tiles? The ones from sheet 706 currently look too modern for my liking.
I must be missing something here. What were the ones on sheet 706 actually used for? And which is the other Vahnatai floor you're talking about?

I have only done above-ground rapids at this point, but I will be making below-ground ones soon. This sheet of anims has what I've done so far for rapids, the lava and lavafalls, and the other portals you wanted.

I have not played Avernum, so I'm not sure what the 706 green rubber tiles were used for. But if we are going to add another Vahnatai floor, I'd rather use the nicer one on sheet 761.

Here is the second sheet of terrains. I used an Avernum theme for the gray floor, because I made them last night, before I read your post. Do you want me to change it to be more Exile-y?

Cryolemon, here are the magic and darkness versions of the lava/antilava.

I have not played Avernum, so I'm not sure what the 706 green rubber tiles were used for. But if we are going to add another Vahnatai floor, I'd rather use the nicer one on sheet 761.
I think perhaps we should just leave it for now, and not do either of those.

Personally, I'd rather just see a few of the Avernum Vahnatai-themed objects added to the Exile Vahnatai floor.

Is there anyone else who has an opinion on this?

Here is the second sheet of terrains. I used an Avernum theme for the gray floor, because I made them last night, before I read your post. Do you want me to change it to be more Exile-y?
Nah, it's okay. Besides, all I really meant by "similar" there was "having a similar set of objects".

I agree about the Avernum desk. The red stool on the top row doesn't stand out enough against the floor. And the chairs look tiny compared to the Exile chairs.

Also, what is that thing between the bed and the control panel on cobblestones? It looks a bit like a small pot over a small fire pit, but it also looks vaguely like a brazier.

Which wooden Avernum desk? The one with the book, or the empty one? And do any of the floors need to be redone? A few of them I got lazy with and just rotated the Avernum version.

Do you want me to remove the stool, or adjust the color?

Would you prefer the chairs to be larger, then?

Eh, the orange thing I have no clue about. I just pasted it from Avernum; that one wasn't a redraw. It just looked rustic, so I threw it in. I can get rid of it if you like.

I was just thinking of the desk with a book on it. I don't see anything wrong with the other desk or the stone floor myself.

Aren't the wheels just pasted from Avernum? I don't think he redrew those ones.

It might be nice to have a lever on stone floor (two graphics, one with it pushed to the left and one with it pushed to the right).

I went through and compared the stone floor you have here with the Exile stone floor and came up with the following things you did not put on it (this doesn't necessarily mean that it needs all of these, though).

• rune
  • pillar
  • plant
  • statue
  • brazier
  • altars
  • chest
  • throne
  • dresser
  • cauldron/cooking-pot
  • rug/mat
  • anvil
  • torch (animated)

I could also look through the Avernum graphics and point out suggested graphics to adapt for these, if you'd like. I'll probably have a few things to say about some of them if you decide to do them.

Sure, go ahead. I am really out of the Avernum loop, so any advice (or a list) would be welcome.

The desk, I'll work on when I have the chance. I'll be leaving this afternoon, and not be back until Friday.

For rug/mat, I took the green plaid rug and made an independent version of it, to make things easier.

The wheel, yes I just resized the Avernum one, as it didn't seem to require modification. I haven't gotten around to doing any statues yet--what all floors do you want them on?

Do you want me to change any of the chairs?

Sure, go ahead. I am really out of the Avernum loop, so any advice (or a list) would be welcome.
Okay, here's a list. Remember these are for the stone floor (unless otherwise stated).
  • rune (sheet 757; I'd also like the glowing rune on Vahnatai floor on the original Exile Vahnatai floor - it's surprisingly easy to get rid of the floor underneath it on sheet 761)
  • pillar (the one you've already used on several other floors)
  • plant (sheet 1027)
  • brazier (the same one you used on the tiled floors in the first sheet)
  • altars (same ones you've used everywhere else)
  • chest (sheet 768 seems appropriate; I don't know if you've used it already)
  • throne (not sure; I don't think it should be the same one you used on... was it the mosaic floors? ... but I think that's the only Avernum throne in existence; are there any custom thrones that someone, preferably the creator, would like to nominate?)
  • dresser (788 would do, but I thought there was actually one that had drawers, and I can't find it)
  • cauldron/cooking-pot (726; I also really like the oven in that sheet)
  • anvil (also 726)
  • torch (animated; it's found on sheet 723 as you doubtless know, and there would need to be two versions: one attached to the left side and one attached to the right side, just like the original Exile torch)

For rug/mat, I took the green plaid rug and made an independent version of it, to make things easier.
You mean you've already done that one? The Avernum rug I was thinking of is the third graphic on sheet 709, which is on stone floor. It also appears on sheet 725 without the floor beneath it.

Additionally, the rug on sheet 761 on Exile Vahnatai floor might be nice.

I haven't gotten around to doing any statues yet--what all floors do you want them on?
Of the three on sheet 725, I'd like the first on cave and grass, the second on the stone floors, and the third on cave only. I don't want the demonic statue since demons in Avernum look completely different from demons in Exile.

If anyone thinks other combinations or "living statue" versions would be good, speak up.

Do you want me to change any of the chairs?
Could you try making them a little bigger and then post a comparative image including the original Exile chair as well as both the smaller and larger version of the Avernum chair? Start with just one direction, to see if it looks better.

By the way, would anyone object if we replaced the existing bookshelf graphic with this one? (I have no idea who made it anymore, since the relevant page at Pixel Profusion is missing; if anyone has the original, that would be useful.)

Oh, I thought the third graphic on 709 was a separate floor type. Silly me. Yes, I have an independent version of that one, as well as the one I already mentioned (fourth one on sheet 719). The purple Vahnatai rug should be fairly easy.

Which pillar? I have a fancier one with gold and red, as well as a plainer blueish one. I've used both on multiple floors. I also have the short stubby blue/purple one, with and without a book (pretty much just a shrunk version of the Avernum one,) though I don't think I've used them on any floors yet.

I've tried (on and off) to convert the anvil, but it has so far proved tricky. Would it be okay if I just use the Exile one as a base and adjust the colors and shape a little to make it more Avernum-ish?

The 788 dresser, I have an old version that I've been using, but I think I'll redo it now that I'm a bit more experienced at these conversions. The old one looks pretty bad.

The chairs were among the hardest conversions so far. I'll gladly make a larger version, but it may take a while.

For the bookshelf...what do you think of this one? I think it would tile better, especially vertically, than one having a bar at the bottom.

Oh, I thought the third graphic on 709 was a separate floor type. Silly me. Yes, I have an independent version of that one, as well as the one I already mentioned (fourth one on sheet 719). The purple Vahnatai rug should be fairly easy.
It's probably not worth it to make the purple rug independent; I don't think it would work. I'd like to see the other two as well; I'm not sure making them independent is a good thing. While it's true that this means it can go on any floor, it also means that its edges are perfectly straight. It might be fine (the existing blue rug does have two straight edges, after all) but I'm not sure.

Which pillar? I have a fancier one with gold and red, as well as a plainer blueish one. I've used both on multiple floors. I also have the short stubby blue/purple one, with and without a book (pretty much just a shrunk version of the Avernum one,) though I don't think I've used them on any floors yet.
For stone floor I'd say the plain pillar fits better.

I've tried (on and off) to convert the anvil, but it has so far proved tricky. Would it be okay if I just use the Exile one as a base and adjust the colors and shape a little to make it more Avernum-ish?
Yes, that would be acceptable. In fact, that's exactly how I made the forcecage and the stone block.

The chairs were among the hardest conversions so far. I'll gladly make a larger version, but it may take a while.
There's no hurry; take your time.

For the bookshelf...what do you think of this one? I think it would tile better, especially vertically, than one having a bar at the bottom.
Sooooo... you've cut off the top and added an extra shelf? You're right, it does tile better; but I'm not sure it's good for it to tile better. I tried tiling both of them in a 3x2 rectangle. In your version, it makes it look like one giant bookshelf, or at least three tall bookshelves. With the other one, it's clearer that it's 6 individual shelves that just happen to be pushed together.

EDIT: Eep! I just discovered that your centre rubble space for grey cave floor seems to be two pixels to narrow!

EDIT2: You've missed a couple things in the two wall sets. Both the crystal and wooden walls are missing a "secret door", which is the one where you see a door-shaped outline. You could just copy one of those outlines, but I think a circular outline for crystal and a square outline for wood might be better. You also seem to have forgotten a window on the crystal wall. Or else you forgot an open door. Both are needed.

Optional wall components include trophy (stone walls have a sword, adobe wall has a mounted head) and painting; the vahnatai wall has neither and the wood wall has only the painting. Neither are necessary, and indeed it's probably fine the way it is; however, I like the idea of a trophy on the crystal wall, perhaps consisting of a wave blade and/or a razordisk.

...Oh, and I think I forgot to mention: regarding that stool which I said blended with the background (the wood or similar floor)... I think it you made the wooden legs darker, to match the chest, it would work better. Could you try that?

EDIT3: There's also no mouldy wood wall. Did we decide not to include one?

EDIT4: There are a few blending problems in the mosaic floors:
  • Good altar on light floor; candles blend in with the floor. Try recolouring the candles - red might be a good colour, but yellow, purple, or blue also seem reasonable to me.
  • Evil altar on dark; it's hard to make out the outline. Would it be too hard to make it blue, like the evil altar on stone floor? You could also try some other colour, or you could simply add some sort of trim to make the outline clearer.
  • Brazier on dark; this one's not so bad, but it does blend in a little. I think it may help to recolour the holding (yellowish) part, perhaps blue or something. (Note: it appears that this brazier is actually just an ordinary black cauldron resting in a fancy pedestal.)
  • Standing torch on dark; the gold blends a little. I think it might actually be better to use the blue standing torch; the gold may work well on light mosaic.

EDIT5: Okay, the first four rows of the first sheet, together with the last row of the second sheet and the wheel and control panel on vahnatai and original stone floor, have all been incorporated into graphics sheets that can be used in-game. I also incorporated all the outdoor terrains you made (trees and transitions, mainly). The animated terrains will probably be incorporated shortly. And ter5.png is now full, except for one slot which is to be filled with the centre-slot rubble on grey cave.

I've reserved five slots for curtains, on all five walls apart from wood (which you already made). That's both stone walls, adobe wall, basalt wall, and crystal wall. It would be nice if not all the curtains were the same colour.

It's probably not worth it to make the purple rug independent;

No, no. Easy to add to the Exile Vahnatai floor, I meant.

Sooooo... you've cut off the top and added an extra shelf? You're right, it does tile better; but I'm not sure it's good for it to tile better. I tried tiling both of them in a 3x2 rectangle. In your version, it makes it look like one giant bookshelf, or at least three tall bookshelves. With the other one, it's clearer that it's 6 individual shelves that just happen to be pushed together.

Would it be worth my time to try to make it better, or are you set on using the other one?

EDIT: Eep! I just discovered that your centre rubble space for grey cave floor seems to be two pixels to narrow!

Oops! Here you go.

EDIT2: You've missed a couple things in the two wall sets. Both the crystal and wooden walls are missing a "secret door", which is the one where you see a door-shaped outline. You could just copy one of those outlines, but I think a circular outline for crystal and a square outline for wood might be better. You also seem to have forgotten a window on the crystal wall. Or else you forgot an open door. Both are needed.

Secret doors, I'll add. I just didn't think of them because I was using the Avernum sheets as a basis for what I made, instead of having a list. (Without things written down I'm a little forgetful frown ) The crystal wall (the light green Vahnatai one from Avernum, I'm assuming?) has two windows, as well as an open door. Fourth, fifth, and third (respectively) on the first Avernum stuff sheet.

Optional wall components include trophy (stone walls have a sword, adobe wall has a mounted head) and painting; the vahnatai wall has neither and the wood wall has only the painting. Neither are necessary, and indeed it's probably fine the way it is; however, I like the idea of a trophy on the crystal wall, perhaps consisting of a wave blade and/or a razordisk.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll see what I can do.

There's also no mouldy wood wall. Did we decide not to include one?

As before, I used what the Avernum sheet had, and they did not feel the need to include one. I can try to make one if you so desire.

I've reserved five slots for curtains, on all five walls apart from wood (which you already made). That's both stone walls, adobe wall, basalt wall, and crystal wall. It would be nice if not all the curtains were the same colour.

You mean the brown and purple Avernum curtain/banner thingies? Sure, I can add those. Color changing is easy too. Do you have preferences for what color for which wall?

There are a few blending problems in the mosaic floors: (list)

I'll get to work on those.

I'll only be home for the weekend (again) so I probably won't get much done. Fortunately, my schedule will be much less restrictive after this next week, so I should be able to start getting much more done soon, hopefully...

EDIT: Oh, if you want intersections and corners for fences, 'huge walls', etc. I could do some easily...

Would it be worth my time to try to make it better, or are you set on using the other one?
I like the other one, but I think the copy I have has slightly "mangled" colours (like the sort of thing that would happen when saving in a lower bit depth). Does anyone know where it came from? I suspect I found it on Pixel Profusion, but it's not there anymore. I was thinking of taking the bottom strip and attaching it to the existing bookshelf, then tweaking colours.

Anyway, the main question is whether I should replace the existing bookshelf graphic, or simply add the new bookshelf as a separate graphic.

...So I guess the answer is, don't make a new one. smile

The crystal wall (the light green Vahnatai one from Avernum, I'm assuming?) has two windows, as well as an open door. Fourth, fifth, and third (respectively) on the first Avernum stuff sheet.
...I don't see what you mean. I only see one window. There's four versions of it, of course (two orientations, plus cutaway views). I'm looking at sheet 604; the windows are the first two and the last two on the final row. (I see it more as a light blue wall than light green...)

As before, I used what the Avernum sheet had, and they did not feel the need to include one. I can try to make one if you so desire.
Yeah, Avernum doesn't really have mould. It would be quite appropriate for a wood wall, though.

Try to make it a little less regular and blurry than the one you did for the Vahnatai wall. smile

You mean the brown and purple Avernum curtain/banner thingies? Sure, I can add those. Color changing is easy too. Do you have preferences for what color for which wall?
Yes, the things like you put on your wood wall already, specifically the one typically found in a doorway. I'd like purple on the Vahnatai wall, to match the door and portcullis, but on the other walls I don't really have a preference. The one on wood wall is fine already.

Oh, if you want intersections and corners for fences, 'huge walls', etc. I could do some easily...
Better than w-dueck's, I hope? Not that his are bad, just they could be much better...

Quote:

...I don't see what you mean. I only see one window. There's four versions of it, of course (two orientations, plus cutaway views). I'm looking at sheet 604; the windows are the first two and the last two on the final row. (I see it more as a light blue wall than light green...)

Gahh. My first Avernum stuff sheet, not theirs. I'm sorry, I need to be more clear in future.

Quote:
Try to make it a little less regular and blurry than the one you did for the Vahnatai wall. smile

That was intended to be writing on the wall, like for an alternate sign. If you want it to be mold, though, I guess it could be.

Quote:
Better than w-dueck's, I hope? Not that his are bad, just they could be much better...

Yes, mine would be better. Since there are three terrain types that have the stone walls, and none of them have any shadows, would you want them to be separate, or a full set for each terrain?

'kay, go ahead and do fence/wall corners. Also gates in the Huge Wall would be nice; then they can be used to make larger towns on the outdoor map. Gates in the fences would also be nice, but I'm not sure how they would work.

Quote:

That was intended to be writing on the wall, like for an alternate sign. If you want it to be mold, though, I guess it could be.

Ohhhhhhhhh... okay, if it's writing, that's fine, but could you perhaps make it less blurry? I think it's the blurriness that made me think it was mould; the writing on the basalt wall isn't blurry at all.

Stareye made a lovely set of outdoor huge walls, complete with gates and corners. It should be on Pixel Profusion, but if not it shouldn't be too hard to find. I think it was included in At The Gallows.

I made a full-tile bookshelf a few years ago. I'll go find it. Hold on.

EDIT: http://ados.ermarian.net/BoX/Bookshelf.bmp It has an ornate wooden base instead of a purple stripe.

Great, so I'll use that one then. The only question remaining is whether it should replace or supplement the existing one.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
Stareye made a lovely set of outdoor huge walls, complete with gates and corners. It should be on Pixel Profusion, but if not it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Pixel Profusion has vanished from the face of the net, except for the front page. It looks like there's a place for it on the new Truesite for Blades, but it doesn't seem to have anything in it yet.

Ah, yes, the Blazing Blade has a similar set of graphics using basalt instead of stone walls.

For the huge walls, a portcullis seems reasonable. For the gates, as I said I'm not sure, but they do need to be something that has a separate "open" and "closed" graphic; perhaps a wooden or metal gate in the stone fence would work, though I'm not sure how clear that could be from the overhead view.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, starting on the huge list I have accumulated, (Have I mentioned that I love lists? tongue ) here's the Vahnatai and walls stuff I have so far. I included both tapestry types for each wall...pick whichever you think fits best with the wall theme. If you want the colors changed, I can do that easily as well...just let me know.

I put a couple of waveblades and razordisks on the 'crystal' wall, let me know how you like it. I'm sort of iffy on the moldy wall for the wood set, I'm not very good at drawing mold. If you want it changed, please tell me, and I'll do my best.

I have the stone fences and huge walls mostly finished, I just have to add gates. I'm assuming you'll want just two gates, one for horizontal and one for vertical, correct? I'm not sure what we decided for the stone fence...would like a wooden gate work that has an open and closed version? And did you want both open and closed portcullises for the huge wall, or only one?

Well, here's what I have done for the walls and fences. As you can see, I haven't put a gate in the fences, just a gap. If you decide what you want there, I'll be glad to add it in. Also, for the huge walls, I made a version with open and closed portculla as well as a version with a little door like an outdoor town would have. Whichever you think is better, go ahead. And as always, if you need something changed, let me know.

Also, I think this is pretty much the rest of the list of suggested changes and additions and anims. Please tell me if there's anything I've forgotten, or any additional changes you would like.

For enlarging the chairs I still haven't gotten started, as I'd prefer to finish everything else first before I start what will be a very time-consuming project.

• 2 weeks later...
Alright, starting on the huge list I have accumulated, (Have I mentioned that I love lists? tongue ) here's the Vahnatai and walls stuff I have so far. I included both tapestry types for each wall...pick whichever you think fits best with the wall theme. If you want the colors changed, I can do that easily as well...just let me know.
Curtains: nice. There's one minor thing, though – the curtain (or at least the plain one) is supposed to fill a doorway, so it either needs to reach the bottom of the graphic or have that space filled in with floor. (Vahnatai is an exception to this, since their doors are round holes.)

I also like the secret door, trophy, and purple rug. The picture, however, strikes me as inappropriate. It's quite good, but considering that the Vahnatai live only underground it seems like an underground-themed picture would be more fitting.

Wood wall stuff looks good too.

I'm not sure what we decided for the stone fence...would like a wooden gate work that has an open and closed version? And did you want both open and closed portcullises for the huge wall, or only one?
Both open and closed version, and both horizontal and vertical versions.

Well, here's what I have done for the walls and fences. As you can see, I haven't put a gate in the fences, just a gap. If you decide what you want there, I'll be glad to add it in. Also, for the huge walls, I made a version with open and closed portculla as well as a version with a little door like an outdoor town would have. Whichever you think is better, go ahead. And as always, if you need something changed, let me know.
Okay, for the most part they're quite good. It's particularly interesting to see how you've dealt with the red ramparts. It works quite nicely, though it's certainly not what I had thought of (towers at each corner/intersection). Still, it's fine.

One thing that I don't like much is the vertical walls with doors. I think they would be better if they were rotated so that the top of the door is parallel to the red ramparts (as is already the case in the horizontal walls).

And yes, I would like a wooden gate in the gap in the stone fence.

Also, I think this is pretty much the rest of the list of suggested changes and additions and anims. Please tell me if there's anything I've forgotten, or any additional changes you would like.
Looks good. Did I ask for the beehive oven on the original stone floor as well? I forget...

For enlarging the chairs I still haven't gotten started, as I'd prefer to finish everything else first before I start what will be a very time-consuming project.
Okay. smile

Quote:
Curtains: nice. There's one minor thing, though – the curtain (or at least the plain one) is supposed to fill a doorway, so it either needs to reach the bottom of the graphic or have that space filled in with floor.

Oh. I didn't realize. You'll want those edited, then. How exactly would that work? Would you need an 'open curtain' doorway, or something like that?

Quote:
The picture, however, strikes me as inappropriate. It's quite good, but considering that the Vahnatai live only underground it seems like an underground-themed picture would be more fitting.

Okay, I'll fix that.

Quote:
Okay, for the most part they're quite good. It's particularly interesting to see how you've dealt with the red ramparts. It works quite nicely, though it's certainly not what I had thought of (towers at each corner/intersection). Still, it's fine.

Would you like towers as well? I'm sure I could do it without too much trouble, and that way people could have a chouse, depending on the intended context. And I'll fix the gates.

Quote:
Looks good. Did I ask for the beehive oven on the original stone floor as well? I forget...

I don't have recorded that you did, but it would take approximately 10 seconds to make.

Quote:
Curtains: nice. There's one minor thing, though – the curtain (or at least the plain one) is supposed to fill a doorway, so it either needs to reach the bottom of the graphic or have that space filled in with floor.

Oh. I didn't realize. You'll want those edited, then. How exactly would that work? Would you need an 'open curtain' doorway, or something like that?
No, I don't need an "open" version. You'd just walk through the curtain, and once through it would fall back into place; it's like an always-closed door.

You can leave the ones with the big gold X as they are, though; they can be wall tapestries, while the plain ones are curtains.

Quote:

Would you like towers as well? I'm sure I could do it without too much trouble, and that way people could have a chouse, depending on the intended context. And I'll fix the gates.
Sure, if you'd like to have both versions, by all means make some towers. smile

Quote:

I don't have recorded that you did, but it would take approximately 10 seconds to make.
Well, in that case, we might as well have it.

Not bad at all... I suggest adding support for hills though.

I can't think of anything you missed for terrain. I think you'd have to search through the thread to find it if there is something. There are, however, several monster graphics in the first post that (I believe) have not yet been done.

Oh...I tried making snow terrain once, never was able to get it to look right...would be interesting to see a version that did.

Just an idea...you know how the 3 basid walls (birck, basalt and adobe) all have different looking windows and doors and stuff? Would it be worthwhile creating new graphics so they all had the same options? I mean, taking the birck wall arched door and sticking it on the adobe wall, so you don't have to use the red-brown flat door?

It's just that it, IMHO, can seem a little odd to have a town where different building materials mean differential architectural stles, but all doors etc in the same sort of walls look the same.

Also, in "Nephil's Gambit", the scenario made good use of the marble tabletop as a wall...I'm thinking that making a set of walls, doors and windows with that might be an idea.

Even if those ideas aren't that useufl, making the graphics would only entail copying and pasting for existing graphics anyway.

Originally Posted By: Thaluikhain
Just an idea...you know how the 3 basid walls (birck, basalt and adobe) all have different looking windows and doors and stuff? Would it be worthwhile creating new graphics so they all had the same options? I mean, taking the birck wall arched door and sticking it on the adobe wall, so you don't have to use the red-brown flat door?
I don't really think it's worth it. If you really want to mix and match doors/windows/etc and walls in a scenario, though, there's nothing stopping you from doing that for custom graphics.

Wyrmfire's is certainly about 50 times better:

Terr_snowWyrmFire.gif

However, it's lacking a few things. For example, you can't make frozen lakes. Also, the hills set doesn't seem right somehow, and the marsh on the second-last line is pretty bad too.

So, if we want a snow set, we can start with Wyrmfire's and add the following:

• A new hill set, complete with mountains.
  • Probably new mountain caves.
  • A new swamp graphic which actually looks frozen.
  • Duplicate the water set to allow for frozen sections, and include boundaries between frozen and nonfrozen water (running water such as rivers is less likely to freeze than comparatively still water such as lakes).
  • Maybe a few other things? I dunno; it would make sense to distinguish between deep snow and cleared snow (in towns), for example.

Also, what's that thing to the right of the snowman? And the one below the snowman - are they the stone fences? They don't look so good... though, they don't precisely look bad either...

Quote:
Also, what's that thing to the right of the snowman?

I think it's some sort of snowed-over cave entrance.

In regards to the hills, I think that with snow on them they would appear much more smooth and rounded, maybe even straight. Snow tends to smooth things out.

Would it work if I made the cleared snow as just a little bit darker, maybe with a little brown in there? That could give a feel of being cleared and walked on a lot.

I've been working on the huge walls and fences for hills. Do you need every type on each of the hill transition edges? Is it okay if I do full sets on hill, then only straight edges on a few of the transition spaces? Because if I tried to do them all everywhere, that would probably add up to hundreds of graphics.

In regards to the hills, I think that with snow on them they would appear much more smooth and rounded, maybe even straight. Snow tends to smooth things out.
Makes sense.

Would it work if I made the cleared snow as just a little bit darker, maybe with a little brown in there? That could give a feel of being cleared and walked on a lot.
Yeah, that makes sense, I think.

I've been working on the huge walls and fences for hills. Do you need every type on each of the hill transition edges? Is it okay if I do full sets on hill, then only straight edges on a few of the transition spaces? Because if I tried to do them all everywhere, that would probably add up to hundreds of graphics.
I think just straights on the transitions will do - so you can make a wall crossing a transition, but not a wall on top of a transition (each transition only has one possible wall).

Quote:
Also, what's that thing to the right of the snowman?

I think it's some sort of snowed-over cave entrance.

Maybe an igloo?

Would thebe a way to represent a snowstorm? Something animated that you couldn't see through, or maybe more than one and some that you could, though you'd need to set it up so they kept randomly swapping in the editor or something.

There are no hills in that set. The hills are covered with snow and are invisible, and that's the way I think it should be. It's a direct snow-to-mountain transition. I certainly don't think there should be straight-line transitions to hills if you do decide to make hills, because how often to you see rows of hills in perfectly straight lines? I think that set is just lovely, including the caves and the swamp. Also, that's not a marsh, that's snow-covered crops.

We could use frozen-over water, though.