BoA Scenario Crash

Grimm

I've had this problem for a while, and I've tried everything the tech support page says to try. Often when I am trying to enter a scenario written by a fan rather than Jeff, the game crashes. In fact, it almost always happens. It does sometimes crash when I am trying to load up A Small Rebellion, but not often, and it never crashes when I load up HLPM. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a problem with Vista?

Does the game just crash, or does it show an error window first?

From what information you've given, it sounds likely that missing graphics are an issue (this is one of the few things that will cause BoA to crash, in my experience), especially considering the HLPM, a scenario with no custom graphics, never crashes.

Have you tried redownloading and installing BoA to a folder other than in the "Program Files" folder? Sometimes Vista has an issue with that. Also, I'd recommend downloading each scenario again, and it might sound obvious, but make sure you're downloading the PC version and not the Mac version - the PC version is usually labelled as such, but you can tell because it will have a bunch of files in the folder titled something like "G500.bmp"

Vista does not like accessing files in the Program File directory for any reason. A custom graphic problem would definately suggest this. Try reinstalling BoA in a different directory (i.e make a "Game's" folder) and see if it helps.

Running as an administrator might help, but I don't think it'll solve all the problems you could get.

Installing programs to 'Program Files' shouldn't be a problem if you're not a scenario designer. Basically, Windows prevents files located within the directory from being edited, mostly to prevent end-users from shooting off their own foot and other security issues. As far as I know, Blades doesn't generate any files when running. You're still able to create or paste files into the directory, so there shouldn't be any problem with dropping in a third party scenario.

The error is probably one of the ones listed above - either a custom graphic is missing, or you need to run in compatibility mode.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Vista does not like accessing files in the Program File directory for any reason. A custom graphic problem would definately suggest this. Try reinstalling BoA in a different directory (i.e make a "Game's" folder) and see if it helps.
Odds are it'll help with just about any game. I've had a "Game Files" folder for years now, because if I didn't have one, I'd lose track of what's a game and what's not.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Odds are it'll help with just about any game. I've had a "Game Files" folder for years now, because if I didn't have one, I'd lose track of what's a game and what's not.

Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor.

• 3 weeks later...