Custom Graphics

Okay, I'm trying to figure out how to make custom graphics. So, following the advice of the BoA editor docs, I got ResEdit (I am using a mac) so that I could edit the graphics files. So I tried to open some of the graphics files to look at them. I got this message:

Code:
The file 'Character Graphics' has no resource fork. Opening it will add one. Do you wish to open it?

I clicked okay, and for some reason it just gives me a white, blank window. What could be the problem?

If that message is correct, then your Character Graphics file is ruined. If when you run the game creatures still show up correctly, ResEdit is crazy, and I wouldn't know how to make it behave.

Easy handling of graphics (including on machines that can't run ResEdit) was on of the reasons I made Graphic Adjuster (see here). You might give that a try and see if it works better for you.

@Niemand: Thankfully, my character graphics cannot be ruined. ResEdit wouldn't work on my leopard computer, so I used my old one, which does not contain BoA. I tried your program, and it works on my good computer. My custom floor graphics are working fine.

@Slarty: I have no idea the answer to any of those questions, except I do know what kind of computer I'm working on. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore.

Glad to hear that you've got things working.

With regard to Slarty's questions, it sounds like you're (primarily) using an Intel Mac running system 10.5. (It's the Intel chipset that prevents ResEdit from working, assumedly.) In case you ever need to find out information like this, choose "About This Mac" from your Apple menu, and you'll get a nice summary.

The Intel chip doesn't prevent ResEdit from working per se. The issue is that ResEdit is a Classic application -- although it was widely used even into this decade, it was last updated in 1994! The Classic environment, of course, won't run under Leopard, and it won't run (natively) without a Motorola chip either.

It sounds like you're saying you copied the Character Graphics file to your old computer and ran ResEdit on that computer. I'm going to guess that something weird happened to the file data format when you copied the file over. That sounds more likely than ResEdit not recognizing a legitimate resource fork.

Originally Posted By: Dahak
A resource editor that I use on 10.5.x is Rezilla. It has a few issues, but it seems to be one of the best of the free editors.

This also works decently well on 10.4.x. From what I've seen, it's leaps and bounds better than ResFool, which appears to be essentially the OSX version of ResEdit.