USB Keypad

jimbob

Alright, so I am playing the Avernum Series on my laptop, so I purchased a USB keypad so that I could use the keypad for moving inside dungeons, since the mouse moves you more steps than you want to go most of the time. However, it appears that the USB keypad can only move you diagonally. Is this a problem with the game, or is it a problem with the keypad? Thanks in advance to everyone who answers!

I already know this, and going back and checking confirms it, except that I have to hold down the, say, 7 key to move west. Simply pressing it once does not work. I hold it down for about one second or so, and then the character moves about ten spaces to the west instead of one.

Are there settings somewhere for the numeric keypad? Maybe the problem is with the device itself. I've never used a USB keypad, so I couldn't say.

Try launching Notepad/Wordpad, enabling Numlock, and typing on the keypad. Does it respond the same way as if you're typing with the primary keyboard?

I just tried Blades of Avernum as well with the USB keypad, except with Blades of Avernum the 2, 4, 6, and 8 keys move the character only north, east, south, and west as compared to only diagonally with Avernum. Any other suggestions? If not, then I guess I will just have to deal with it. Thanks to everyone who tried anyways.

I tried with numlock and without numlock. When it is off, only the 2, 4, 6, and 8 keys move the character anywhere. When it is on, it does not move the character anywhere. Also, it moves only diagonally in Avernum, but up and down and sideways with Blades of Avernum. Again, thanks to everyone who tried. I am kind of getting used to using the mouse, but if anyone has any suggestions for me to try, they are still welcome.

Originally Posted By: Keita
As a semi-related point of interest, whilst using the left mouse button does move you two steps instead of one, the right mouse button will move you one step per click. This will only work in A1, but A1 is the only game that I've had this problem with.

Nethergate is like this too.