Geneforge 5 speed issues

The Lost Anvil

Hi, Geneforge 5 is still a little bit too choppy for me. I have tried using the DirectX version but it comes up with the following error:

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

After seeing this message I re-installed Geneforge 5 but it has had no effect.

I have it installed, and in a few small areas it works smoothly, but in most areas and especially combat its very slow and laggy. frown

I know you've already done heaps to try and help those of us with inadequate hardware and I've tried all the steps, but is there any possible way to help make the game run smoother?

I think this message on your support page isn't quite right:

"Microsoft inexplicably made DirectX 10 unable to support earlier versions."

Vista comes with DirectX 10 and supports all previous versions of DirectX too.

The "d3dx9_*.dll" files are "helper" libraries which have been gradually added to DirectX over time - Vista obviously doesn't ship with those released after it (neither does XP in fact).

Of course, the real farce is Microsoft screwing over their OpenGL support, making it harder to write something cross-platform (which is obviously their entire reason for screwing it).

• 2 weeks later...