Northern Isles Game 4

*i

Some reflections:

First, people played a lot smarter in this game. Good work everyone!

The biggest thing I found unsatisfying is the artifact enemy rule. To fix this, I'm going to make the following changes:

1) Item collection roles will need two specific items, rather than two out of three. This causes too much wiggle room.

2) A person is your enemy if you need an item as part of your victory condition, they need it in theirs, and they have the item in question. Simply having it is no longer enough.

Otherwise, I think things worked fairly well. I am eager to hear everyone's comments on what they thought so I can further improve the game.

Apologies to Marlenny (for failing to save her life using the ninjas what strike in the night, after she basically worked her butt off all game to get me allies and confuse my enemies) and Xelgion (for being the expendable ninjas what strike in the night).

Also darn it. I thought PGLB was Dionicio for most of day 2, and was considering offering him an alliance when he was suddenly struck down. And given that it was by the Darkside Blademaster, it would have saved him, too.

Ah well.

Goddamn Bain with his two artifacts, plus a wand of death, plus the freaking box of traps tongue

I had tons of fun, even as a Bound Servant (who should really have some sort of ability). It was nice to see the Gladwell win once again. Next up it's the Anama!

I agree with Stareye, props to everyone for playing much smarter. I'd love to get more players and more roles, but I'm not sure poor Stareye would be able to handle it tongue

I already knew you were Dionicio. I also knew RCCCL was feeding you my identity, and was hoping that I might be able to put enough doubt in your mind to stay your hand till we could take you down. No such luck, evidently.

It's too bad Marlenny lost, she did an amazing job even surviving the initial slaughter. She revealed her role to me immediately, obviously being unaware she was one of our secret targets. Finding that out and being able to survive the Darksiders so long - almost wiping them out - is not an unimpressive acheivement.

The quality of play was somewhat improved. I found it a lot harder to get info out of people (though Marlenny apparently can still do it). However, not many people seem to be able to put together winning alliances. Some are too mistrustful, others just don't seem to grasp the tactical importance. That said, great job by Bain to pull off a win after his alliance got destroyed by a turncoat (Creator) and he had to go it alone.

I thought Bain might of had traps, because none of us did and the items had to go SOMEWHERE. I was gonna wait until the very last moment to attack him before my Skribbane ran out.

Every game I get closer and closer to victory... Hey, I just realized. I was killed last game by a box of traps too...

I had a lot of fun. Thanks again to Stareye for doing this.

Having played as Machrone, I'm not sure what the point of his role is anymore. It used to be for providing other players with hints about each others roles, but the Machrone no longer has any motivation to give accurate information to any but his allies. Also, being able to identify 12 out of 16 roles at the end of the game is a simple job, assuming you are still alive. Surviving to the end of the game without finding out that many roles would be a miracle. This makes playing the Machrone fairly bland, since you have only one real enemy to avoid, and no real targets to achieve.

Therefore I propose the following changes:

The Machrone may PM the Moderator with the identity of up to two roles once every 24 hours (this is separate to his other abilities). The Moderator then post these publicly. In order to win, the Machrone must have accurately identified 10 of the roles to the moderator in this way.

This will make other players more distrustful of the Machrone, or people they suspect of being the Machrone. They may not want him dead, but they will not want him to achive his goal if it means being publicly ousted. It also provides the players with a new source of information about each other. It will also make playing as Machrone much more interesting.

Creator: I like your ideas about Machrone, but as stated, he needs at least five days to win. No game has lasted the long yet, so I'd remove the two-per-day limit and replace it with a per-day minimum. I'm thinking two per day, possibly with day 1 being optional, and a win condition of not getting any wrong.

This gives Machrone a reasonably difficult job, as he not only has to learn a lot, but has to learn it fast. It makes him a useful ally, because he'll probably know more roles than the two public ones on any given day, and also a dangerous enemy, because if you cross him he may publish your role.

EDIT: Stareye, there's a mistake in your recap of the game. On day 1, you have "Bound Servant kills Anama Priest" when you mean to say "Bound Servant kills Shanker."

Also, I was very curious about how and why I died, and now I understand a little better. I take it the SIC and the Nephil Activist were working together, and either learned that I was the Priest or knew that Shanker had the Crossbow. So now my questions for Sporefrog and Andraste are which was it, and how did you know?

You're welcome everyone. The log should be fixed. There was a lot going on at the time I was making that section.

Anyway, I like Creator's idea of Machrone with Sarachim's modification. My one fear is to have a role where winning becomes totally impossible. So I need to fix this aspect.

After thinking about it: Once per day, Machrone must identify two roles together to the moderator. The moderator will post them publicly. For each incorrect response, Machrone will receive an additional, randomly-generated victory condition that must be met for him to win. Failure to submit counts as a wrong answer.

How does this sound?

I had this dilemma with my last kill. I could either kill Nioca (who I thought was the Necromancer, and I had given the spire), Sporefrog (Who I thought was Gladwell), or Imban (Who I thought was the DL Mage). The only reason I killed Nioca is because I wanted the crystal spire back, and I figured Sporefrog was working with someone to get me killed, so I assumed Sporefrog switched to a physical immunity. I also thought that Sporefrog was trying to trick me into being killed by telling me Nioca was the Necromancer, so I was actually going to kill Imban, but changed my mind at the last minute. Now I know I should have killed Imban. smile

Anyway, I was really thrown off because I thought Marlenny had killed Sarachim. I also had this huge problem with Doom Warrior, who knew I was Micklebur, and I don't think my attempts to convince him I wasn't an enemy was working.

Micklebur is a difficult role, I think. There also doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to join the Anama. I tried to get PGLB to join, but that didn't work out. It's also quite hard to play once the Priest is dead, at which point I simply started spreading accurate information (or at least what I thought was accurate information) because I figured that I would inevitably be killed, as PGLB had told people I was Micklebur.

Anyway, it was fun regardless of the difficulty. Kudos to *i. Too bad I can't play the next game.

Gladwell is fun. Sorry Xelgion, but you should always look out for number one - which in the case of Gladwell's servants means telling Gladwell not to do stupid things and hoping he doesn't actually want you to get killed. (Which I didn't.)

So you would probably have been better off thinking "Hmm, if I'm going to win either way, which of Bain or Marlenny would be easier to kill?" then arguing for that, since I had room for idealism and you really didn't.

Of course, given that we had a backup plan to sic Marlenny on Bain armed with Weapon Poison and Skribbane, I also had a backup plan of compelling Creator to take Skribbane and kill you if you just refused to do anything for me. tongue

I sent around 20-30 total PMs throughout the first 3 games, and about 350 alone in game 4.

I agree with *I that the artifact goals probably need to be reworked. I felt like a huge cheater trading an artifact to someone so that Andraste could kill them (which is why I didn't).

Marlenny chose not to betray you Imban, and killed me instead. Had I not gotten the skull (or whatever item it was) used on me to curse me though, I would've quite probably killed both you (from attacking with a boatload of items on) and Marlenny from a counterattack tongue

I'd also like to see Machrone's role reworked.

Love the game and can't wait for another one.

(Exaclibur: Andraste could've killed you anyway, since she was a magic user. I just wanted you to kill Nioca before I killed you laugh )

Nioca - I felt really bad about sending Excalibur after you frown If Andraste hadn't been such a perfect ally and you hadn't randomly had a goal to kill her, I never would've backstabbed you.

Note to self: don't get to late game without a) having Marlenny on my side, or B) killing Marlenny, or she will dominate the entire game.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
PGLB had told people I was Micklebur.

I was going to apologize for this. I didn't really think I was going to ally with you as I was working with a few mages, so I basically spread that around so I actually had something to tell the people who talked to me.
It seems to have lead to people finding out I was Dionicio and my death as well though, so I guess I deserved it.
It was very fun and interesting despite I died in day 2.

I made the Anama Priest a bit stronger defensively. The ability is now as follows:

Quote:
If you are attacked, your skill is power for the duration of the battle. May use one of two abilities: (1) Once per game, may resurrect one person, or (2) remove all status effects from a target.

Originally Posted By: *i
I made the Anama Priest a bit stronger defensively. The ability is now as follows:

Quote:
If you are attacked, your skill is power for the duration of the battle. May use one of two abilities: (1) Once per game, may resurrect one person, or (2) remove all status effects from a target.

Even though I will probably never be the Priest again, this still makes me happy. tongue

Originally Posted By: wz. As
Was Creator the one to destroy the DL alliance? My poor decision to use the assassin leather to try kill Doom Warrior was partly at fault; even if Creator put DW on my trail, I would have killed DW first had I just used magic.

Great game! Thanks Stareye for running it.

Pretty much. I told him our secret targets so he could help us find them. When Marlenny entered the game as one of them, apparently he figured that she'd be better at helping him find out everyone's roles and did the switcheroo. I'd alreadyy painted a big bullseye on my forehead to RCCCL (though he would have been better advised to play along with a fake alliance until he knew all the DLs rather than sell me out immediately), so I was pretty much gone, and Bain had contacted us late, so I don't know if he even got the intelligence that Marlenny was the Bound Servant. So between the two of them, they were able to pretty much shatter the DL alliance and form a new one centered around the Gladwell. Who then sold her out to a DL. tongue

Wz As told me he was the DL Mage, and after I was sure I could trust him, I took his advice. He told me PGLB, DW, and Marlenny were enemies, and said he'd take care of DW and Mar while got PGLB. So I killed PGLB/Dionico, but Wz died attacking DW. Fortunately, PGLB had a Wand of Death on him. DW asked me for help in saving his friend, which I didn't provide since I knew he was an enemy. I used the Wand of Death to get rid of him before he had a chance to get suspicious of me. I later set the traps around my house, seeing that without the DL's, I was pretty much on my own. It protected me from Xelgion.

I got a Flaming Sword somewhere in this, and *i told me that Marlenny was checkmated, so he had me use the flaming sword to finish her.

There's my part of the story

Can't wait for next game, although I'm not sure I'll actually get to play

Originally Posted By: Ash Lael
Pretty much. I told him our secret targets so he could help us find them. When Marlenny entered the game as one of them, apparently he figured that she'd be better at helping him find out everyone's roles and did the switcheroo. I'd alreadyy painted a big bullseye on my forehead to RCCCL (though he would have been better advised to play along with a fake alliance until he knew all the DLs rather than sell me out immediately), so I was pretty much gone, and Bain had contacted us late, so I don't know if he even got the intelligence that Marlenny was the Bound Servant. So between the two of them, they were able to pretty much shatter the DL alliance and form a new one centered around the Gladwell. Who then sold her out to a DL. tongue

Yeah, that was a serious mistake on my part. I kind of panicked. I pretty much had to make sure 8 people that game died if I was going to guarantee my victory. DLs, Anama, and Gladwell were all guaranteed in the game, that's 6 right there. Then the first person I start working with, tells me he suspects that someone else is the Shanker, and that he is an enemy of the Role, so I think to myself, ok I'll have to work carefully to make sure Nioca never finds out that I'm really the Shanker, the person he suspects, Sporefrog, end up joining with Nioca and I. I then learn that she would like to see the Shanker dead too. What a game! My only regret is that I had something come up that prevented me from getting on in time to at least do an action.

RCCCL: You were difficult to kill. First I tried to kill you, then I gave Sarachim poison to kill you, but that failed, and then Sarachim had Imban kill you. Third time's the charm. But yes, if you had logged on during the small window after Sarachim's attack, then the Anama would have been in big trouble.

Originally Posted By: Ash Lael
Who then sold her out to a DL. tongue

I really didn't want to betray Marlenny, but it was looking like I was better off just getting Marlenny killed so that I didn't also have to make Xelgion die, because my "keep Marlenny alive" plan at that point involved using up one of the two Skribbanes.

So I sighed and contacted Bain (informing him that even though I'd been shanking his buddies all game, an allied victory would be acceptable) and Xelgion (offering to let him kill Marlenny since she had a Skribbane on her).

Then Xelgion told me he had a Vulnerability Scroll and was willing to kill Bain, so I un-betrayed Marlenny and put into effect my plan to kill Bain.

Of course, it failed and both Marlenny and Xelgion ended up dead anyway, just differently from how I originally saw it ending. Oh well. tongue

Hind-sight, I really should of killed Creator then Marlenny. tongue Still, it was a lot of fun! Especially since I only had to die at the last moment of the game, it makes it so that I didn't miss any of the game, which is pretty sweet. When I next play again, I am putting Gladwell next to Fae in terms of suspicion. And I am also putting the players Doom Warrior and Ash Lael there too. Doom has been my enemy for all the games and has tried to or had a hand in killing me in all but round 4. tongue