Northern Isles Game 3

*i

In reference to strategy, you get in trouble telling lies and you get in trouble telling the truth. The best strategy, far and away, is to say nothing about yourself unless you can absolutely trust the person you're talking to. People love to trade information about other people.

When you have a strong core alliance, minimize exposure by getting one member to go out and gather info and make deals while the rest stay fairly quiet. In our case, Ash did this as the Shanker since he was the most indestructible.

Learning a lot of roles quickly through a combination of abilities and trading information was a huge help to us. We were able to manipulate people by feeding them information, and could eliminate our enemies quickly.

Probably not, at the time I was working very closely with Dionicio, and was fomenting a relationship with the Cultist Fae Shanker trio, I don't know how close you were to your victory condition, but considering you attacked me, I'm guessing you had to finish part of it still.

I was also working with the Cultist/Fae/Shanker trio. I hadn't made any progress on my victory condition yet when I attacked you, but if I hadn't, I'd have attacked Andraste instead and been halfway there. I could have met my second condition by killing Xelgion, or by sweet-talking Marlenny into giving me the Assassin's Leather. Unless you betrayed me to Dionicio and Dionicio decided to attack pre-emptively, I think I'd have been okay. Moral of the story: when you have a Wand of Death, use it!

Damn you Ash. tongue And damn myself for being in contact with BOTH of my allies and not knowing it. Oui. Marlenny did a number in this game. She killed way too many people, and she even knew I was going to kill ash, and put a box of traps round him. Fae will have to be really good next round to get past peoples paranoia.

RCCCL - me and andra were amazingly sure you were the anima hunter right after she died. If I resurrected her, I assumed you'd just kill her again instantly since everyone knows when I use resurrect. So I tried to wait 24 hours on my warding crystal to see if you might die, then I was going to attack you.

Edit: Also, how did you manage to find out either of us were anima? I assume you gave Marl the wand of death to kill me.

Yes I did give Marlenny the Wand of death specifically to kill you. I only knew you two were Anama through other people's intel. I honeslty had no idea you were the Priest though. People had suggested that Raelag was the Priest and that you were Oliver, and I had nothing to contradict this, however, I knew there was still a Anama alive, again through others intel, but mainly because of Machrone's Poll which he shared with me. What convinced me you were the last remaining Anama was your claim that Ackrovan told you he was the Priest and was trying to recruit you, at the time I still thought you were Oliver, but believed you had been recruited. I was positive you were feeding me disinformation about Ackrovan, 1 because I was sure he was not the Priest, 2 I knew he wasn't the Fae trying to trick you(even though I suggested it to you) because by that time I knew Marlenny had that role.

May I ask what led you and Andraste to believe I was the Hunter?

I'm amazed at how fast the game went with only 3 days. I figured at the very least you had gotten lucky and picked Andraste for your ability on day 1, and that that was how Andra died. I'm stunned that you were able to on day 2 kill one anama, and on day 3 kill another anama without ever using your ability successfully.

I don't know who trusts you enough to share whatever info you got, but that just seems really incredible.

As far as figuring you were the hunter, we narrowed down a bunch of the other roles and then compared that with both of our PMs with you. We figured that you were either the hunter, or else one of the other few roles capable of killing an Anama. I'm still just amazed that after 3 days and never using your ability, you wipe us out entirely, even with a warding crystal used. I was going to attack you the following day had somebody else not killed you (or rez Andra if they had) because I figured at the very least you'd use your ability first instead of just immediately attacking.

Great job playing, I guess, whoever did figure Andra out. I never told anyone that I was an anama to try to recruit, nor did Andra. We never even gave any hint, I did nothing but give false information to everybody.

It was us who figured that one out. Marlenny managed to get Andraste to reveal she had the Flaming Sword, and then we used the Cultist ability to discover the role that had that item. Upon finding out she was the Micklebur I fed her identity to RCCCL and Dikiyoba.

Also, disinformation is sometimes more harmful to you than accurate information. When someone like you or Nioca is discovered to be a liar it makes it very easy for someone like me to convince people you're out to get them. smile

In this case, it was accurate information (that she had the flaming sword) that got her killed, so your own advice isn't sounding that good tongue

straight lies!

Seriously though, making an alliance seems like a coinflip -- you are at a serious advantage if it works, and you're screwed if it doesn't.

I'd discuss strategy, but I don't really have one. I can never tell what's actually working, because bad luck intervenes and makes sure I die on day two. frown

Don't believe me? In game 2, I died because the Darkside Blademaster found me out as Dionicio. How did he do that? Because he got suspicious of my DL Mage kill. There's only a 50% chance I would have made someone suspicious with a kill. And then, there was only a 7.14% (1-in-14) chance that the suspicion would have gone to him. That means there was a meager 3.57% chance that the Darkside Blademaster, of all people, would have gotten suspicious of me.

So my strategy this time around is to not walk under ladders, carry a rabbit's foot, and avoid mirrors or any breakable reflective surface at all costs. Which fits a Vahkohs playing style, at any rate.

Accurate information is often harmful too, yes. You're best off giving out NO information. tongue

The trick is identifying people you can form alliances with. Honestly, Anama and Gladwell are at an advantage by virtue of the fact that they start out knowing who one friend is. I think a role like the Empire Spy would be one of the hardest to play.