Northern Isles Game 3

*i

Thank you everyone for agreeing to play and watch. Here are the ground rules. Only the moderator (me) and people who are playing the game and are alive may post here. Anything else will be instantly deleted.

The current living players are:

Ackrovan

Andraste

Ash Lael

Bain-Ihrno

Bloodmoon

Creator

Dikiyoba

Doom Warrior

Excalibur

Marlenny

Nioca

PGLB

RCCCL

Sarachim

Sporefrog

Xelgion

Some ground rules:

1) If you are playing PLEASE READ ALL THE RULES. They have been updated since the last game.

2) Private communication is allowed.

3) Submit your actions to me by way of PM in the thread I started with you. If I cannot figure out what you want to do, I'll simply ignore it, so try to be clear.

4) Actions will be processed in the order they were received when I get around to them. Read the rules for how often you can submit and any other exceptions.

5) Please posts all rules questions in your PM with me or in the rules topics.

6) If you are not playing or dead, please do not influence the game. You may look, but not touch.

Otherwise, the game begins:

Thursday, April 9 at 9 PM EDT

No action submissions will be accepted before that. A few people tried to submit some things, and those posts will be ignored. In other words, submit again after the game starts. I'm doing this not to be a jerk, but to make sure everyone gets a fair chance at getting their post in. I'm sorry if you are busy at the start time, but it is impossible choose a start time that works for everyone.

Also, if you have not done so already, reply to my PM topic with you as soon as you can. If you do not within 24 hours of me sending it to you, you may be replaced.

Just a reminder, no actions that kill anyone will be processed until:

Friday, April 10 at 9 PM EDT

Also, the game will end at the latest on:

Thursday, April 16 at 9 PM EDT

Since something came up and I want to keep the game moving, I will move back the time an hour or so for processing any actions that can kill people. Just to rephrase, normally there is a one day waiting period for people dying. It will now be more like 23 hours.

And the game is now over. Everyone who is now alive has met their victory condition. Congratulations to...

ACKROVAN

ASH LAEL

CREATOR

DIKIYOBA

EXCALIBUR

MARLENNY

RCCCL

Thank you to all of our participants. I look forward to the next round!

The roles were:

Ackrovan -- Machrone

Andraste -- Micklebur

Ash Lael -- Shanker

Bain-Ihrno -- Empire Spy

Bloodmoon -- Oliver

Creator -- Sacred Item Cultist

Dikiyoba -- Dionicio

Doom Warrior -- Domont

Excalibur -- Bound Servant

Marlenny -- Fae

Nioca -- Gladwell

PGLB -- Darkside Blademaster

RCCCL -- Anama Hunter

Sarachim -- Adventurer

Sporefrog -- Anama Priest

Xelgion -- Darkside Mage

The log:

Day 1

Fae equips assassin leather.

Bound Servant uses crystal spire, reveals identity of Empire Spy.

Anama Hunter learns Darkside Blademaster is NOT in the Anama.

Machrone polls the targets of the Adventurer

Sacred Item Cultist discovers Flaming Sword is in possession of Micklebur

Fae assumes identity of Oliver

Dionicio learns the role of the Anama Hunter

Darkside Mage curses Gladwell

Gladwell trades Heroic Brew with Fae (as Oliver) for Assassin Leather

Fae (as Oliver) infects Gladwell with lethal disease

Anama Hunter joins Gladwell

Adventurer steals Weapon Poison from Dionicio

Domont gives Darkside Blademaster keyword "lend"

Empire Spy drinks Knowledge Brew, learns identity of Machrone

Darkside Mage finds Weapon Poison

Oliver trades junk with locals for Clover Boots

Sacred Item Cultist gives Fae (as Oliver) Weapon Poison

Domont trades Ironskin Salve with Fae (as Oliver) for Heroic Brew

Fae (as Oliver) slips deadly scorpions into Domont's pack.

Fae (as Oliver) gives Shanker Ironskin Salve

Shanker gives Darkside Blademaster Ironskin Salve

Darkside Blademaster trades Ironskin Salve with Fae (as Oliver) for Weapon Poison

Fae (as Oliver) puts a small explosive in Darkside Blademaster's pack

Fae (as Oliver) gives Shanker the Box of Traps

Gladwell switches his immunity to physical

Day 2

The disease activates and kills Gladwell

Fae (as Oliver) recovers Assassin Leather

The scorpions activate and kill Domont

Fae (as Oliver) recovers the Heroic Brew

The bomb explodes and kills Darkside Blademaster

Fae (as Oliver) recovers the Weapon Poison

Sacred Item Cultists finds Skribbane

Oliver trades junk with locals for Ivory Skull

Bound Servant uses Crystal Spire discovers identity of Domont

Fae (as Oliver) gives Sacred Item Cultist Assassin Leather

Fae (as Oliver) places traps around Shanker

Anama Hunter kills Micklebur

Anama Hunter recovers Flaming Sword

Oliver investigates Machrone's inventory

Empire Spy attacks Bound Servant, ends up dead

Dionicio learns identity of Empire Spy

Adventurer attacks Anama Hunter with poisoned weapon, ends up dead

Anama Hunter recovers Wand of Death

Sacred Item Cultist equips Assassin Leather

Sacred Item Cultist kills Oliver

Machrone conducts a poll on faction membership

Anama Priest uses Warding Crystal to protect Anama Priest

Day 3

Bound Servant uses Crystal Spire, discovers identity of Dionicio

Anama Hunter trades Flaming Sword with Fae (as Oliver) for Ironskin Salve

Dionicio finds an Ivory Skull

Fae (as Oliver) recovers Weapon Poison and Ivory Skull

Bound Servant gives Crystal Spire to Dionicio

Anama Hunter uses Ironskin Salve

Anama Hunter gives Fae (as Oliver) the Wand of Death

Fae (as Oliver) kills Anama Priest

Machrone IDs enough roles correctly

Game over

...Huh. I withdraw my point that the Gladwell is underpowered. Dang, Marlenny really did a number in this game.

I still stand by my point that Gladwell needs more of a reason to recruit, though. If Marlenny hadn't done me in, the various Darksiders probably would have, since they knew my identity. There's no point in Gladwell having more than one or two servants, since he can only order one around per day anyway, and they provide, overall, very little benefit.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Dang, Marlenny really did a number in this game.

I also chose not to kill a few other people (SIC & Anama Hunter) tongue.

I still stand by my point that Gladwell needs more of a reason to recruit, though. If Marlenny hadn't done me in, the various Darksiders probably would have, since they knew my identity. There's no point in Gladwell having more than one or two servants, since he can only order one around per day anyway, and they provide, overall, very little benefit.

I disagree. The Gladwell does have a lot of reason to recruit. Despite only being able to order a servant around, Gladwell knows the identity of all the servants. This, in itself, is a big plus.

It's all about making the right allies and being able to trust them. The main strategy for the Gladwell is to lay low early in the game and send the bound servant to do your job while pretending to be you. If someone attacks him (possibly one of your enemies), he gets first strike and wins (killing one of your enemies). Once you have enough allies/servants, you can start identifying potential enemies (might it be with items from your allies or through process of elimination) and getting them killed.

In a complete different subject, props to RCCCL for doing the best hiding of his role. He was impossible to read, while still appearing non-threatening and helpful. Magnificent work.

Originally Posted By: Marlenny

I disagree. The Gladwell does have a lot of reason to recruit. Despite only being able to order a servant around, Gladwell knows the identity of all the servants. This, in itself, is a big plus.

You practically have to know their identity in order to recruit them, and in order to recruit them, you have to give away your identity and pray that person is friendly. Plus, it's not that he can only order a servant around; it's that he can only compel one servant per round. What's the point in having more? Other than maybe a spare just in case the other dies.

Thank you!

If, I still had my message logs from game 3.1 I'd show you a clever little bit work.

I can't even recall who it was now, but at the very beginning I let someone choose what role I was to them without them knowing.

I want to say it was Creator, but can't recall, perhaps he can confirm it.

You practically have to know their identity in order to recruit them, and in order to recruit them, you have to give away your identity and pray that person is friendly. Plus, it's not that he can only order a servant around; it's that he can only compel one servant per round. What's the point in having more? Other than maybe a spare just in case the other dies.

Is that all I was to you, a spare? madtongue

I tried to get more, but it turned out I was trying to recruit the Darkside Blademaster AND the Darkside Mage. The latter of which knowing I wanted to kill Domont.

So... yeah. I likely would have wound up dead fairly quickly.

What if Gladwell had an ability to check if a person can be recruited?

I tried to get more, but it turned out I was trying to recruit the Darkside Blademaster AND the Darkside Mage. The latter of which knowing I wanted to kill Domont.

So... yeah. I likely would have wound up dead fairly quickly.

What if Gladwell had an ability to check if a person can be recruited?

Dude... everyone has to risk revealing themselves to an enemy. That's part of the game.

Some thoughts:

1) First of all, everyone did a good job playing. You guys were a great set of players!

2) I think the concept of enemies worked really well. In many cases, I could tell people were more cautious when it came to killing. Two people died for attacking the wrong person, which is better than the wrong people dying.

3) The roles seemed pretty balanced. No one seemed too overpowered or underpowered.

4) I think Gladwell and the Anama are fine. With sufficient skill, it should be possible to deceive until you make a few allies. Both factions have a power role with an immunity. There is a good (albeit not foolproof if you get really unlucky) strategy to being successful with either role. Generally, this involves neither Gladwell nor the Anama Priest revealing themselves too early.

Further, I disagree Gladwell has no reason to recruit. Just about everyone has a reason to have allies. The difference with Gladwell (and the Anama) is they have something to offer if the alliance is formalized. Granted, there is a cost, but that is just there to ensure that they are actually allies -- Anama Hunter aside.

5) I think it would be a good idea to put a little more randomness in determining which roles. This should make deception a bit easier and prolong the game.

I'm eager to hear reflections on the game and what worked and what didn't. Not just about the rules so much as strategy.

No RCCCL, that was me. I was certain you were the shanker. Dang. But I was right at first.

I knew I shouldn't have traded, but I really wanted that heroic brew. So, of course, due to my greed, I get killed by magical scorpions.

I thought that PGLB and Xelgion wqere the DLs, but Ackrovan really screwed me up over Xelgion. Still, I had a great time.

It's rather long (since we were quoting entire conversations with other people), so I won't post the entire thing, just this:

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Okay, that makes sense. I was kind of thinking you were Shanker.

I'm Machrone.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
If you aren't Machrone, we could possibly be enemies, however I am willing to extend the truce pipe.

...(denotes a new post by same person)

Heh, whew. The only other option made you Domont. That would have been bad seems how he wants me dead.

If you happen to find out any of the DLs, or the Anama, I'd appreciate that info ASAP, as I'm on both kill lists.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Good. I'll put you down as Shanker.

The first poll I will conduct is a Faction poll, though not until someone dies.