Photo Thread Reborn

Balladeer

Very cool animal bones, Diki. I started collecting animal skulls (and some bones) when I was 12 and have a little row of some of my favorites now on my window ledge. It's fascinating to see what's inside something. And they bleach so prettily white.

-S-

P.S. Don't eat the mistletoe.

White dome

Mailbox mushrooms

Lone bird

Captured water beads

Vine maple

Brooding skies

• 2 weeks later...

Revived again! Yes, it's only been a week. Whatever.

More skies.

Oh, and anyone who was interested in the next RP will probably want to look at this.

Also, I finally decided to stop uploading my picture-a-day images as .pngs, because I honestly can't see the point anymore. Not only does it remove the camera information, but I can't see a marked quality difference compared to highest-quality .jpg files...

There's a snow storm going on, and I couldn't sleep, so the obvious thing to do was to wander around out in it for an hour with a camera.

Resulting Pictures

I was eventually forced to turn back due to poor visibility; not in general, but because of the accumulation of snow on my glasses. In fact, for a while I pretty much couldn't see what I was taking pictures of. I also ended up having to discard a number of pictures as later examination showed that they had been taken with the camera lens entirely covered with water. Luckily, the camera dried off in my pocket when I took a break for most of the way back, and so I was able to get some good pictures in the forest. I think that pictures 16 and 21 are my favorites from this set, though.

The difference depending on where I was was drastic; when I was out by the lake I couldn't see because of stuff blowing around, but I could hear the lake water crashing around most impressively. In the woods it was incredibly quiet, and the trees filtered out much of the blowing snow, so I could see well enough to appreciate the odd twilight look; it was quite bright given the time was somewhat after midnight.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
I think that pictures 16 and 21 are my favorites from this set, though.

16 and 21 are awesome.

Prescott got hit by a pretty good storm two nights ago. There were several inches of snow and the college was closed for a day. It wasn't very pretty snow, though.

Dikiyoba did have a cool encounter with a ruby-crowned kinglet while trying to get snow pictures, at least.

Originally Posted By: Synergy
How close did you get?

I could have reached out and touched it. It had hidden its head under its wing and so didn't see me approach. Unfortunately, the rest of the snow photos I took didn't turn out very well. I have a good pawprint, but that's it.

Dikiyoba also got around to taking a picture of what must be the least inspiring learning center logo ever.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Originally Posted By: Ephesos

As a Wisconsinite by birth, it is my duty to point out that there is no where near enough snow on that hill for proper sledding.

You are correct. This is enough. Of course that's all melted now. Horrible January for Winter fun.

Weee

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there was some truly nasty weather in my area recently. Here's the creek/road at about the halfway point and here's the aftermath. I don't have a picture of the creek at its high point, unfortunately, but it was high enough that the spot where I was standing to take those photos was completely underwater.

Oh, yes, Dikiyoba has a Flickr account now. It's pretty disorganized, but it's not likely to get organized anytime soon, so feel free to knock yourselves out.

Diki, where is the road suppose to be in the aftermath picture? Is the road going from left to right and the creek is from top to bottom of the picture?

We are having a wet winter where I am too but there has been not flooding yet. If anything we will be having some landslides if the rain keeps up.

• 3 weeks later...

Oof, I have lots of pictures to sort through at the moment. These will have to do for now.

Sunset

Yellow paloverde (Cercidium microphyllum)

Broad-billed hummingbird (This was taken in an aviary, though.)

Creosote bush (Larrea tridentata)

Soon, Dikiyoba will have more photos, including the extremely exotic Kaua'i bird of paradise. Get excited now!

Ephesos, I initially thought your snow picture was a sky full of stars the first second I saw it. Until I noticed there were stars in front of the trees.

Nice hummingbird, Dikiyoba—not easy to catch with a camera. Looks like spring is already springing in the American desert.

I lived in Dallas for a few years during high school, and virtually never saw a snowflake there during that time. I hear they had a foot of snow last week. That's crazy.

-S-

So last week (a week to this day, actually) I came back from a two-week trip to Baltimore (with a side-trip in Pennsylvania for two days). Whilst there we had that ridiculous snow-storm. On the first big snow, we got 26 inches. On the second, just a couple of days later, we got the same again. I have never seen more than... 3 or 4 inches of snow in my life, so luckily, I managed to get some pretty pictures of it, such as:

The most bad-ass icicle I have ever seen.

...except maybe for this (which wins on size, but not awesomeness).

Those white bumps? They're cars. And not just sedans, but BIG cars.

And finally, an enormous snow-pile next to Tyranicus.

Originally Posted By: Shatter
So last week (a week to this day, actually) I came back from a two-week trip to Baltimore (with a side-trip in Pennsylvania for two days).

Last week, I was living just north of Baltimore proper, as I have been for a while now. I never went out to take picture, but my mother sent me and my father out to take pictures of the giant mounds of snow we made at the end of our driveway.

• 2 weeks later...