Photo Thread Reborn

Balladeer

Karen said that there were volunteers at the beach with caution tape around the turtles to make sure that no one touched them. I'm not sure about the one in the water but she said she didn't touch one when I asked her.

Since I'm gonna have to change my webaddress anyway, what's the best hosting place I can find at around $6 a month?

This looks good on the outside. In fact, it looks udderly fantastic. Yea, or neigh?

Originally Posted By: Jewels
Since I'm gonna have to change my webaddress anyway, what's the best hosting place I can find at around $6 a month?

This looks good on the outside. In fact, it looks udderly fantastic. Yea, or neigh?
My first reaction was 'whoa, fly by night'. But there are enough reviews on the Interwebs to say otherwise. It does look good, though realize that when they say 'unlimited X', they mean 'we won't charge you for X, but we will throttle you if need be'. Reading the fine print and asking around would be a good idea. I know Aran and Tyran use Dreamhost, ask them why.

Aran, Tyran and I all use Dreamhost. I think that it's a reasonable generalization to say that we do so because we want a large amount of flexibility and features and don't mind paying for them. All three of us are taking advantage of large amounts of storage and bandwidth, and tend to make use of being able to install software which may be of custom design (Aran does this in particular, and I know I do to a lesser extent). Tyran, for example has installed Invision Power Board on his site to run ShadowVale, and Aran has constructed the BladesForge and PPP. I would say that Dreamhost is great if you're planning a lot of fairly heavy duty usage like some of the above cases, while if you just want to serve static HTML files something simpler and cheaper may suit. FatCow looks at a glance like it is not dissimilar to Dreamhost, in that it offers a great deal more than say, Freewebs.

I wasn't planning on expanding much beyond what I have except for maybe turning PixPro into a searchable database and adding BoA graphics. They have MySQL and I already have my graphics in a MySQL database. I'm only at 3 gigs right now. I don't think I'll have a problem with being throttled for using too much. In fact I'm probably the kind of customer they love to have. I also like the idea of having it with a company other than Dreamhost just to keep the information spread around.

And to stay on topic.

The view off their balcony.

Nuuan'u Pali State Park.

A Plumeria tree with a close up of the flowers.

And a Quipo tree in the Foster Botanical Gardens.

It's only not considered spam because we have a moderator that likes this kind of stuff. tongue

I guess if we have to make meaningless posts about something, pictures of flowers are at least enjoyable. Oh, and people should name the plants they are posting if they can so we can learn something as well! I don't know about you guys, but I'm the kind of person that passes a flower and wonders what it is called.

A few more.

A fringecup (Tellima grandiflora).

A snail

A bigleaf maple (Acer macrophyllum) (Well, okay, the leaves aren't big yet, but they will be soon. tongue )

Unfortunately, Dikiyoba did not have the camera with Dikiyoba when a pair of gray jays invaded Dikiyoba's campsite. They were cute and unfortunately aggressively tame.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawthorn (Crataegus sp.)

Pacific blackberry (Rubus ursinus)

And this one, which I posted and misidentified earlier. Now I think it's an Indian plum (Osmaronia cerasiformis).

Despite not really partipating in this challenge, Dikiyoba has taken well over 100 photos now... that Dikiyoba has kept. Dikiyoba really doesn't want to know how many Dikiyoba has taken and deleted.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
(Warning: spider)

I actually like spiders. They are a lot less annoying than most insects, in my opinion.

I've been slack in my uploadation recently, so here are the highlights from the last few weeks:

The sky near sunset

A large bird flying overhead

Another sunset

Fireworks for Memorial Day

Just the back hill

Flowering chives

And, as a special bonus, the 11,111th photo on my camera.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Never have heard it called coastal manroot, although that is oddly fitting. Usually, it's referred to as wild cucumber. I've seen the root, it had been exposed by an eroding stream bank. Without having measured it, I would guess at 3 feet in length, and 15" in diameter. Not much taper to it, except in the bottom 6". It was very surprising to see it, but that does explain the tenacity of the plant. It is extremely difficult to kill, even with some of Monsanto's favorite products applied in higher than recommended doses.

• 2 weeks later...

Local flora

A dead tree (In Oregon)

Annie Falls (Just outside of Crater Lake, in Oregon. I'm not sure about the spelling)

Crater Lake

Glass art (The Museum of Glass, in Tacoma, Washington. This was one of the few places where you could take pictures)

Grasshopper