Photo Thread Reborn

Balladeer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I was going to go to the grocery store this afternoon, I got as far as backing my car out of its space before realizing that I had forgotten to bring my grocery bags. On putting the car back to go get the bags, I discovered that I had disturbed a rodent who had built a nest in the space where the front of my car hung over the curb. When I pulled the car back in, it ran and hid under it. I brought back my camera along with the bags, and was able to get some pictures of it while in the process of chasing it out from under the car. After that, it hid in its nest, secure in the knowledge that if it couldn't see anyone, no one could see it.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
What kind of cameras would you guys recommend (modest price range, of course) and what kind of software do I need to upload photos? I love taking walks and going on hikes, and wouldn't mind taking some pictures.

Any camera that functions. Mine's an old Casio point-and-shoot variety without many advanced options, but it works just fine.

And for uploading tools, this.

Just about every digital camera (except for the absurdly cheap ones) were 10 megapixels or better when I looked for a new camera, so resolution isn't really that much of an issue anymore. I probably spent about 250 dollars on my new camera with the warranty and memory card factored in.

Dikiyoba thinks this is an awesome photo of yours, Mistborn.

If you can afford it, the Panasonic FZ18 is an amazingly well-reviewed digital camera with an astounding 18x zoom. It also does fantastic super close-up macro shots, which I have great fun attempting. The pictures it takes are phenomenal. They make me look like a professional, yet the camera is not known for "coloring" your picture significantly. Resolution is fantastic. Highest res = between 3 & 4 MB per picture. I am absolutely in love with it. Other Panasonics of the last 3 years or more have been also very well-received. I am 100% happy with my purchase, have used it heavily for 1 year (42 GB worth of photos and videos and counting) and cannot recommend it more. And I'm pretty fussy about, well, nearly anything. You can probably get one of these for around $250 if you find a deal, or look for one on eBay. I held off buying a digital camera all these years till just last year, because I wanted to get something fantastic for my money. The technology is there now, quite affordably. Look for reviews that mention good user-menus, battery life, and low noise in the picture.

Good luck! I think digital cameras are one of the most wonderful modern inventions to date. Fun fun fun.

-S-

Just noticed a diabolic coincidence in my iTunes library.

We still use a quite old Canon camera, not digital in the least. The photo quality is better than any digital pics I've ever seen on a less than 50( *** ****** *** ***where is the pound sign on this keyboard) (oh there it is, yet when I press it i get a €) ( copy - paste)£ camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice pictures, Ephesos. I especially like #4. Dramatic!

Here are some I took on the Panasonic FZ18 I was touting above, unaltered. These are from the hill above my home. Fall is beautiful! Many of these here demonstrate the use of macro photography, where you might literally be one inch away from what you are shooting. There is a link at the bottom to the entire album, if you want to see more.

Moonset and Maples

Mt. Rainier Before Dawn

Mars Sunrise?

Dewy Lamb's Ear and Rose Petal

Red!

Macro Blossoms

Mushroom Buddies

Post & Photographer

Yellow!

Lost in Leaves

Skyline

The Cascade Mountains

Autumnal Vale

Entire nature album

-S-

The painfully blurry is what macro-photography does: focus clearly on a narrow plane of space, leaving the rest to some degree out of focus. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was intentional, and continues to be experimental for me, as I'm still learning its capabilities. I also find that mileage varies greatly depending on one's monitor. <shrug>

Nice sunset.

-S-

Macro-photography's fun. I personally think this is one of my personal favorites that I've taken.

But the trick, and I think that this is what Diki's referring to, is that you really have to get picky about the depth at which the camera is focusing. It's okay if the background blurs and the subject is in focus, but it's also really easy to end up with say, everything but the subject's outline blurred.

• 2 weeks later...