Northern Isles Game 2

*i

What about a three-kill rule? You get two kills under normal rules, but on your third kill and every thereafter, everyone knows who launched the attack. This gives the players an incentive to avoid gating everything in sight.

(My original suggestion was that not only did they know who launched the attack, but what their role was)

Has anyone in any of these games actually killed three times? Attacks don't seem overpowered, but the fact that doing anything else can be a waste of precious time does.

The Blademaster has nothing to do but attack and will almost always win. That also seems like a bit of a problem, particularly for a role that needs a lot of people dead. Having unknown allies about helps some, but again, I think it would work better if the Blademaster had some incentive to pick targets.

—Alorael, who isn't even sure that knowing who attacked is a problem. You may get some information on the attacker's power level if you know the victim's role. You otherwise don't learn much; too many roles benefit from random hack and slash play.

I think that when a new member joins a group his role should be revealed to the rest of the group, or at least the priest.

EDIT: SporeFrog killed four people this game. As did Nalyd (although one was in defence.)

BTW, would killing me twice have counted as fulfilling the victory conditions for the adventurer?

Nioca: Good idea, but I'll see if we can find a simpler solution first.

Alorael: I agree. There needs to be a disincentive against random killing. I like your idea and I'll see if I can do something that balances the thing without making it too complicated.

You are very welcome Creator. Feel free to sign up next time! smile

I have posted some new things in the rules that should help. I define the concept of an enemy. An enemy is someone you must kill as part of your victory condition, or someone who needs to kill you as part of theirs. If you attack an enemy, you get the first strike. Otherwise, your opponent does.

Hopefully this will provide a disincentive for random killing.

The Blademaster still only has four roles who can harm him. One of them is the Darkside Mage, and the other is Shanker, who's an enemy but immune to physical half the time anyway. I still think this role is set up for a slaughterfest, but maybe that's the point.

—Alorael, who also enjoyed last game a lot. He'll also disagree on revealing roles upon recruitment. Recruiting is a risk, and dealing with conflicting recruits is part of the fun.

I was told you don't reveal roles on joining the Anama so that the hunter can infiltrate them. That's a cool thing, but I feel there's a problem with it. (besides the fact that, technically, if he lives an Anama meber survives)

I don't think the Anama priest has much incentive to recruit more members. recruiting someone reveals his role, (or at least his membership) to them, which is something of a risk. What does he gain that he cannot through standard cooperation? The new member has no obligation to help him. He learns nothing new about the member. Sure, the extra members will help him to outnumber the mages, but that can be achieved Micklebur style. (i.e. killing them all)

EDIT: Recruiting should still be a risk, I think, but there should still be a small extra benefit to gaining new members. How about allowing the priest to negotiate mebership as part of a trade. A kind of membership fee?

The Blademaster is the slaughter role. But, to help with the him or her, I am going to throw out a few Weapon Poisons. These change a physical attack into a poison one. While the number of people who can kill the Blademaster is still limited, the prospects are marginally better.

Creator: I'm going to be patching up the Anama a little bit. One thing I intend to do is make an additiional victory condition for anyone who joins. Namely that the Anama must outnumber the mages. The Anama Hunter is "immune" to this new victory condition and does not count as an Anama member in his or her victory condition.

Nicoa and sporefrog and a few others: It was strange with Nalyd, since early on I formed a sorta allience with him. I got a little freaked out when Nalyd went out claiming my role, and Nicoa actually believed his lie. But also, at the end, I had a list with everyone's roles on it, and it proved completely right. (for the people living then). Nicoa, you telling me that Sporefrog was the priest really messed me up for quite a while.

What if the Anama Priest could choose a bodyguard from his recruits? Then, for 24 hours, if he was attacked, the bodyguard would take the attack and not the Priest.

Anyway, a couple more items ideas.

• Clover Boots (Artifact): 15% chance of recovering from any fatal attack, including those by Box of Traps and Wand of Death.
  • Spore Shroom Spores (Item): When used, releases soporific spores for 24 hours around target. Anyone who attacks the target will wind up falling asleep instead, losing their action.

Out of curiosity, Doom Warrior, why'd you kill Xelgion?

I'm not so hot on it. This game showed me that it's very easy to misidentify a target. Now, as a power role, that's not such a big deal. But when your goal involves killing, and you lack being power role to protect you... Well, to put it bluntly, I expect the Empire Spy and Adventurer to have very short life expectancies in the next game. Especially since the Spy's ability revolves around it making kills to identify.

I'd be more amiable about a hit-or-miss chance to non-targets (if you attack someone who isn't an enemy, there's a 50% chance the attack will fail, or the other gets the first strike, some such). This at least prevents the player from getting insta-killed for misidentifying a target. This way, there's at least a chance they'll survive.

Or, alternatively, have it so that killing roles have a chance at successfully killing/getting first strike on a non-enemy, but non-killing roles (or roles that fulfilled their kill goal already) will invariably fail.

But those are my two cents. You've shown you know plenty about running these things, so it's your call.

(And since I haven't said it yet, thank you.)

Thank you for your appreciation and comments. I'm getting near the end of having something I like. Not quite there yet, but check the rules periodically. I'm patching them up.

Nioca: I think I'm going to keep battles deterministic for the time being to keep the battle mechanic as simple as I can. I see your concern about misidentifying a target; however, that is part of the game. I have made the Crystal Spire more useful to that end. Knowledge Brews also help. Being an ally with Dionicio is probably a good idea, if you can find him. tongue

Originally Posted By: The Creator
I was soooo ticked off that I got killed by someone who should have had no reason to kill me.

Huh? I killed you for being on my target list.

—Alorael, who also thinks revival becomes a little bit more meaningful if roles aren't revealed. On the other hand, revival also becomes deadly. Kill someone once and benefit from it, and you know you need that player dead again.

Fair enough.

At any rate, I'm going to spin a few more item ideas past you. I'm a fountain of these things...

• Alien Blade (Artifact): Can be used to attack. If used, changes wielder's attack to poison.
  • Razordisk (Item): Can be used to attack, and changes wielder's attack to physical. Prevents the target from retaliating.
  • Nephil Warblade (Artifact): Can be used to attack, and changes the wielder's attack to physical. Allows standard roles to kill power roles.
  • Healing Potion version 2 (Item): If fatally hit during a fight, the injured party will be healed. Can be used defensively, and if used defensively, permits the victim a counter-attack.
  • Sanctuary Crystal (Item): Prevents anyone from targeting the user for 24 hours. If the user attacks someone before the time elapses, the effect is voided.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and the encouragement. I have a draft version of the new rules and roles. Let me know if you have any other suggestions or things I may have overlooked. I will post the registration thread soon.

I had heaps of fun playing this, thanks *i.

Time delay, again, was a crucial factor, as I had given the Box of Traps to Creator in order to have me protected. Unfortunately, Creator was asleep at the time, or the game would have ended on a lsightly happier note for the Anama.

The new item list looks intriguing. If you'll have me, I'd like to play again.

Edit: I think the problem might not have mattered so much if the forums wouldn't have gone down for more than a day (for me anyways). Still, great game.