Geneforge 5 v1.0.2 update - Fixes For Missing Text Problem, Saving Problem

Spidweb

We are in the process of releasing Geneforge 5 for Windows v1.0.2. By the end of Monday the 9th, the download will be available on the main Geneforge 5 page.

This upgrade should help with two problems.

1. Missing Text and Messed Up Graphics

Some people, after launching the game, find that the title screen is white and the game text is missing. If this happens, to you, go into the Start Menu, enter the folder Programs > Spiderweb Software > Geneforge 5, and run the DirectX version of the game. It might work better. (It has been tested and found to solve the problem at least on some configurations.)

If the main game application works for you, just continue to use that. The main application (which uses OpenGL) seems to be faster on most machines.

2. Problems Saving the Game

Geneforge 5 normally writes saved games in the My Documents folder. It had code to write the saved games elsewhere if that folder was missing, but there was a bug in it. That bug is now fixed.

As always, if you try this update out, please let me know if it helps or doesn't help.

- Jeff Vogel

(Edited 3/7/09, 1 PM - I replaced the v102 with a newer version. I tweaked some things that might improve performance. The download link is the same.)

it appears you have done it! the edited version of beta 2 installed and loaded perfectly. the earlier version [before the 1pm edit] didnt work but the update did. i loaded and installed while running 24 bit high color and i DIDNT have to run the direct x version. all text is present in settings and instructions as well as ordering instructions on the title screen. havent started to play yet but it all looks fast and smooth. will check back to see if you want any other info on my configurations. congrats to you and all of us old timers as well! you are the man. rclear666 out

Originally Posted By: rclear666
it appears you have done it! the edited version of beta 2 installed and loaded perfectly. the earlier version [before the 1pm edit] didnt work but the update did.

Thanks for letting me know!

The later version of the beta only made on change, to how the fonts were loaded. The way I did it before made me suspicious that it was causing problems, but I was never actually able to demonstrate that it was the culprit. Now I know, and I'll handle that bit of code in the new, better way in the future.

Hope you enjoy the game, and thanks much for your patience ...

- Jeff Vogel

I tried this, but still have problems. Now if I click on the regular Geneforge icon, the program loads up and the text displays now, but the game is still extremely slow, so much so that it is completely unplayable.I also still get a white background screen. I tried the DirectX option, but get an error that says "Geneforge 5 DX.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." I did just update my DirectX to DirectX9.0c

Originally Posted By: br553
I tried this, but still have problems. Now if I click on the regular Geneforge icon, the program loads up and the text displays now, but the game is still extremely slow, so much so that it is completely unplayable.I also still get a white background screen. I tried the DirectX option, but get an error that says "Geneforge 5 DX.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." I did just update my DirectX to DirectX9.0c

Try the directx version again and tell me the exact text error it gives you. If you are missing certain DirectX 9 components, it might not run. I will have a support message about this when the game is released. Sadly, Microsoft set up the transition to DirectX 10 in a way that causes DC9 apps to frequently break.

- Jeff Vogel

Which text were you refering to? If you mean what is sent to Microsoft on the error report, it seems the text file is erased as soon as the file is sent or the error is closed. It won't let me copy and paste the text that displays before the report is sent. If it is other text that you mean or if you know of a way to save this *.txt file, let me know and I will try it and post or send it to you.

br553, if the DirectX problem isn't an incomplete version of DirectX but a plain old crash, I don't know what to say at this point. Your video card/system might lack the power to run either version.

Are you installing directly into the Program Files folder or placing the app somewhere else?

- Jeff Vogel

I am installing directly into Program Files\Spiderweb Software\Geneforge 5. It seems to be a regular crash, possibly due to a directX problem and/or video card problem. The open GL version runs very slowly, and the directX version crashes. The computer is about 6 years old, the card design dates to about 2001, so probably the card as you suggest.

Hi, Still having missing text problem. I have updated all my drivers, re-installed DirectX and Geneforge5, re-started, and so on, multiple times. The standard version of the game has text, but runs slowly with a white background, as described above. The DirectX version does the opposite: runs quickly and has graphics, but no text. Here my computer specs:

Windows Vista on a Dell Inspirion 1501, AMD Turion 64 X2

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: agreenhill
Hi, Still having missing text problem. I have updated all my drivers, re-installed DirectX and Geneforge5, re-started, and so on, multiple times. The standard version of the game has text, but runs slowly with a white background, as described above. The DirectX version does the opposite: runs quickly and has graphics, but no text. Here my computer specs:

Windows Vista on a Dell Inspirion 1501, AMD Turion 64 X2

Thoughts?

It's not impossible that the 64 bit architecture isn't handling the graphics correctly.

What is your video hardware?

- Jeff Vogel

agreenhill - That both the OpenGL and DirectX versions are messed up suggests something is wrong in your drivers, your card, or your system. It is not impossible that the newest drivers for the card don't work well with it ... it's a fairly old card, so it's not impossible.

There's probably nothing else I can tell you. If the machine is failing to handle graphics correctly on DirectX _and_ opengl, it's a pretty tough situation. All I can suggest is trying running it with Fast Graphics Mode turned on and off and see if that makes a difference with either version.

- Jeff Vogel

hi jeff and all; finally had time to re-install and ran the directx version: black backround and ALL text is there, much faster running speed but still slows a bit when the screen gets busy, yet almost at a playable speed for the most part. kinda slow response time when clicking [ie. dialogues, equiping etc] but for the most part bearable! however when fighting 1st vlish almost crashed. screen vanished for a long minute, but then came back! couldnt believe it and think there was some kind of un-spiderweb related update from apple pushing through. did save several times with sucess. will keep trying and let you guys know how it goes. keep working and thanx rclear666 out!

Originally Posted By: beren terino
If I've already paid for the original version, what do I do to get the upgraded version? Do I just download the new demo and install it? If so, will I still be able to use saves from v 1.01?

Just download and install the new version. Saved games and registration will be unaffected.

- Jeff Vogel

Hi,

I had posted this question in a wrong place of the forum so I think this is where I should be asking for help.

I have installed Geneforge 5 version 1.0.2.

I use Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

on a laptop from 2006 with Intel® Celeron® M processor 1.60GHz and 502Mb RAM.

with directx version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I had installed the very first version and it was "unplayably" slow. Then the testc patch was realeased and it solved the problem completely.

Then I downloaded and install version 1.0.2 and although it's faster than the very first version 1.0.0 it's way slower than the version with the patch.

I've noticed it gets slower in towns. Whenver I start a dungeon or scenario is fine, but as people/monsters appears it gets slow. So far Perikalia es the town where it gets the slowest.

Thank you!

Darkdread, Try uninstalling the game completely. Go into Program Files > Spiderweb Software and make sure the Geneforge 5 folder is gone. Download a fresh new copy and reinstall it. There might be some old files hanging around.

Defragmenting your hard drive might help too.

- Jeff Vogel

Darkdread, you should also make sure your video card is up-to-date with the lastest drivers.

If you go to your video card manufacturers website there should be driver downloads available, make sure you have the latest one.

This helped someone who had an issue with the Avernum series of games, so maybe it can help you as well.

Is 502 mb what you have available for your whole system? If so, you might want to upgrade to a 1GB of memory later on, as having less memory can make your computer slow sometimes.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Spidweb
Originally Posted By: rclear666
it appears you have done it! the edited version of beta 2 installed and loaded perfectly. the earlier version [before the 1pm edit] didnt work but the update did.

Thanks for letting me know!

The later version of the beta only made on change, to how the fonts were loaded. The way I did it before made me suspicious that it was causing problems, but I was never actually able to demonstrate that it was the culprit. Now I know, and I'll handle that bit of code in the new, better way in the future.

Hope you enjoy the game, and thanks much for your patience ...

- Jeff Vogel

Jeff - After my computer exited this world, I bought a new motherboard with integrated OpenGL support. Sadly, it (the driver for that integrated chipset) failed to work with Windows 2000, so I thought I was out of luck. I took a chance with Ubuntu, and had 100% success, including a chipset driver, and a working installation of Geneforge 5, running under the most current version of Wine. I must say I'm excited to finally be able to play the game, and wish to again thank you for your customer service.