Falling Star, Five Artifacts

Master Silver

Hey you guys, I've beaten Falling Star before, but I decideed to go back and actually explore, and I'm trying to get the five legendary artifacts. I've hit a road bump though. How do I get past the Mystic Doomguard at Lockiven's lab. I've tried just about everything. Mind duels don't work, I thought I could use the rope and tie him up, or give him wine. That didn't really work either. Any help you could give would be apprectaited. If I had Simon's slippery substance would that work. Let me know, and thanks in advance.

MasterSilver

I went through the same situation a few months back and Thuryl came to my rescue with this simple solution.

I'll have to look up the specifics, but basically...

Don't fight it.

The trick is to stay back and let it use up all it's spell points. Then, only one Smoky Crystal is sufficient; cast Mindduel and you'll destroy it in a couple of rounds.

It can't move out of its location.

I had to advance into the room regularly to agitate it and it does seem to take a while, (I think it has around 100 Spell Points), but they wear down and the battle is yours.

If you want more specific data, I can look it up, but this should explain the tactic.

me

P.S. Thanks again, Thuryl

• 1 year later...

Crystal Sword - There is a guy in western Xancrest that will give you the location of it for a price.

Axe Artifact - Found in a deep cave that has a bunch of mushrooms. Ask about mushrooms to random people (I think)

Bow Artifact - Forgot.

Runesword - This one is obvious.

PaleBlade - Kill all the monsters on the first floor of the final dungeon (The Castle), then go to the ballroom and go near the statues at the northwest corner. Something scary will happen and you will be rewarded with this obscure artifact.

The Runesword is not one of the 5 Artifacts.

The Crystal Sword can be found in the demon cave that is revealed to you by Nicias, who is some part of Xancrest I can't remember.

Paleblade - Completely clear the first level (don't use the Destroy Undead Special Spell), then meander around the ball room.

Konax Minoc (I think that's what the Axe is called) is found in the Flayer Lair, which is essentially the 3rd level of the Evil Mushroom dungeon. The Slith in the Command Center starts you on this path.

Heartfinder (the bow) can be found in the Pixie Lair if you're really really fast.

The Mace (whose name I forget) can be found in Lockverne's lair. There's a key in a hidden room in the Orc City that unlock a portal to Lockverne's lair via the Wizards' Bazaar. Helps to bring the Dwarf along.

I still play BOE now and then. That and Plants v. Zombies.

F.W.I.W.

I E-mailed this to Bain a few days ago and didn't realize that people are still "out there". If anyone else is interested, this is the list, by my records.

Finding the Five Legendary Artifacts:

©CRYSTAL SWORD ‘Sword’: (17 + 9, Defend 5, Cold Protection): In Central Xancrest, first talk to Penelope in the Flower Shop. She will tell you that Natalia has a new lover, a strange fellow who hangs out around the North Gates. Search the area near the tree and you’ll encounter Nicias the Other. For a price, he will tell you to go to Oswick, then proceed due south. This takes you to The Ancient Grotto, where you must destroy a ‘Groundbeast’, (Fight). Its death leaves a collapse in the floor which takes you to the ‘Lost Cavern’. At 32, 32: is the Evil Altar, which is the embodiment of all evil in these caves. As soon as possible, cast, ‘Ritual Sanctification’ on the Altar. Once destroyed, all evil disappears and many items are left behind to be recovered by the Party, one of which is the Crystal Sword.

©DAYKON MARKE ‘Hammer’: (25 + 13, Defend 7, Undead Slayer): When you defeat the Orcs, on the way to rescue Krug, you should find a couple of secret rooms near the Leader and the Shaman. There is a chest in the Shaman’s secret room. In that chest is an unidentified key. Later, in the Wizards’ Bazaar, you’ll find that key grants access to one of the Portals in the Wizards’ Bazaar that will take you to Lockverne’s Lab. Working your way through the rooms, you’ll encounter a Mystic Guardian, blocking a door. Krug tells you that it is Invulnerable to Physical and Magical Attacks. The Spell, “Mindduel” is needed to defeat it. You should have a “Mystic Amulet” and/or Smoky Crystals acquired from a body in the Underground Lake and a Chest in Denmark’s Headquarters. You must wait until the Mystic Guardian uses up all, or most of its Spell Points, (81), or you won’t have enough Mindduel spells. Once it is down to very few, or none, start casting and you should defeat it in a couple of turns. Once it is gone, go through the door and collect the treasures. In the East Room are two Chests. Daykon Marke is in the southernmost of the two at 28, 19.

©HEARTFINDER ‘Bow’: (20 + 5, Accuracy): While in the Dusty Cavern, retrieving an Amber Heart for Marlene, a Pixie steals the Amber Heart and goes through a small Portal. You follow him to the Pixie Lair, where you must pass through three rooms, accomplishing a Puzzle in each. Assuming you do this, the value of your reward is based upon how well –and how quickly – you accomplish the Puzzles. You must do ‘extremely well’ to gain access to all four Treasure Chests. In the west Chest at 09, 18: you gain the highest reward, Heartfinder.

©KONAX MINOC ‘Axe’: (2H, 35 + 5, Giant Slayer): On a mission to retrieve an ‘Exotic Mushroom’ for Sss-Kasssisss, you must first pass through the Underground Lake to a Pit. Descend into the Pit and you will find the Mushroom Cave. Follow this Cave around the North, then to the South East where there is access to a Passage behind the Waterfall. (Remember to get the Exotic Mushroom as you pass through.) This Passage leads you down to an Underground Canyon, (a.k.a. Mushroom Cave, L2) where you find a strange group of Special Monsters, the Flayers and the Keepers. Go west to free the prisoners. One of them is a Rakshasa, named Pharijian, who will temporarily join the Party to fight these Monsters. Head back to the South East where you must defeat a Keeper Shaman at an Altar. When he is defeated, you will acquire a key. (Sanctify the Altar.) Now work your way west to a corridor. Head South to the south end of the corridor. The key will fit this door. Across the Corridor from the room is another Secret Passage at 13, 58 to their “Trophy Room”. Among the treasures is Konax Minoc. Now take the Portal directly South. It will take you back to the Mushroom Cave, where you can climb the rope to the Underground Lake, then leave. *Note: You MUST have Konax Minoc to get past the Ettin in Rokig Kodar, L3, and then rescue Krug.

©PALE BLADE ‘Sword’: (2H, 15+9, Flaming Weapon): In Castle Relaford, L1, after the initial confrontation with Selene, kill ALL the monsters on this level. Then, return to the Ballroom. Go to the North West corner and the walls will explode and you will be attacked by Lazarus, with some Minions. Once you’ve defeated them, one of the treasures left will be the Pale Blade.

More specifics are available.

me

Sorry I didn't say anything about this, but I wanted to leave the topic open in case others had the same question. In retrospect, I probably should have just posted the info to the forum.

Alcritas - that's cool. Have you played any scenario post "Roots" or for that matter any scenario you haven't played before?

F.W.I.W.

I still have four incompleted Scenarios in my list; one of which is Falling Stars. As I said before, I've not found "Elsewhere". I have absolutely everything else documented except for that one area and the Special Spell to be found there. I've played it numerous times, six times through completely, and have never found Elsewhere. By bringing it up, you triggered me to take a look to see why. I cannot believe that 84% of the time I should have been sent there, but never was. I'll now sort out what I have and cross the complete ARC off my list.

(Kallaskagathos, not included: that's a pain in the neck to do; probably as much as the stairways in the Archives).

If you're listening, Al, thanks for many, many hours, (make that months, no, years), of enjoyment.

me

Originally Posted By: Ahbleza
The Spell, “Mindduel” is needed to defeat it. You should have a “Mystic Amulet” and/or Smoky Crystals acquired from a body in the Underground Lake and a Chest in Denmark’s Headquarters. You must wait until the Mystic Guardian uses up all, or most of its Spell Points, (81), or you won’t have enough Mindduel spells.

You can also buy Smoky Crystals in Thebes, once it is complete or nearly complete (forget which).