GF 5 Resolution

FabledOne

I just downloaded GF5 and installed it. When I opened it up to play, it gave the resolution thing, and I picked the wrong one along with "always use." And now I can't play, all I get is a black screen saying "Cannot support this video mode." I've reinstalled, "repaired," and redownloaded, but nothing worked. How can I change the resolution so I can get it to work?

Did you fully uninstall it before you reinstalled it? Uninstalling it would presumably get rid of the preferences file that stores the preferred resolution. Alternately, you could probably just delete that file yourself, and the game would create a new one once you started it again. One of the other threads details how to do this. I'll see if I can find it.

i am also having trouble getting past the resolution window. i get an optin to run in window and an always start option. the dialoge box is empty! never had a problem with gf 1 thru 4. tried several downloads always the same. running windows xp. correct resoloution but only 16bit true color. video driver reads as up to date [intel 82810E ]3D AGP graphics intel direct AGP whats up??? PLEASE been waiting months for this game

I can't find the thread that details where the pref file is, but uninstalling completely before reinstalling should fix FabledOne's problem.

rclear666, which dialogue box is empty? Do you mean you're getting the option to run in a window and to always start the game in that resolution, but are unable to see the options for full-screen resolutions? I'm not sure what you're saying. Maybe someone who actually knows about the game will.

I need to stop doing this.

Originally Posted By: rclear666
... the dialgue box above it offers no options at all!

Not that I think this is your issue, but I've run into that when using rdp to (attempt to) run the game on another machine. Doesn't work, of course; never has. At that point, the remote machine uses a different driver to support rdp (RDPDD.dll), not the one you'd get when connecting directly.

In that mode, all the graphics acceleration features are unavailable. To even just start the older games, the initial video mode of the rdp session had to be the one the game expected to use - switching video modes mid-session isn't allowed. Assuming that all of that was accomplished, the game would run, but so slowly as to be unusable.

However, there are additional problems with GF5 that did not occur - missing images / badly rendered text graphics.

Who knows, maybe this info is of value to the overall Windows / GF5 performance issue. Any clue at this point may be helpful.

@FabledOne: Go to your documents folder, enter the Spiderweb SOftware/Geneforge 5 folder, and delete the file Geneforge5Settings. The next time you run Geneforge 5, you'll get that dialog box again.

rclear666: The game is looking for 32 bit resolutions. I'll fix this in v1.0.1 so that, if your monitor only supports 16 bit color, the game can handle it.

- Jeff Vogel