2 and 3 person parties

Have many people tried making 2 and 3 people parties? Because I've really been enjoying playing with them.

My logic for the 3 person party is that whenever I make a party on an Avernum game there always seems to be one person who is the "runt" of my party. So I decided to eliminate one person and go without an archer.

My party consisted of a slith with pole weapon skills (who's role it is to take damage and inflict large amounts of damage), a human mage with potion making skills and arcane lore (who's role it is to cast mass damage spells and summon things) and a human priest with nature lore and tool use skill (who's role it is to heal, buff and debuff, and sometimes summon or use smite).

This party has worked really well for me, perhaps even better than the default four person party.

Also, me and my cousin are really into Avernum 3 and we decided to make characters who were "ourselves" and play a game together. We had a slith with pole weapon and tool use skills and a human with priest spells and potion making and arcane lore. As we developed the characters we designed them to compliment each other perfectly, and it was a great match.

Has anyone else tried anything like this?

I'm thinking that's the next thing I'm going to do in the Avernum series, cause I've played all 5 games with the standard four-person party so I want to try something different. I don't think I could survive with a 1 person party though.

You should have your mage have the tool use though, cause isn't unlock doors a mage spell? And doesn't having a bit of tool use help the unlock doors spell? That's what I seem to have heard or remember, I could be wrong though.

Actually, it's the other way round. In A1-3, Unlock Doors and lockpicking have nothing to do with each other. Furthermore, Tool Use is only good for disarming traps and a few special encounters in the first trilogy.

Personally, I play 2- and 3-character-parties most of the time. 3 characters are very effective, maybe even more so than 4, and more fun. 2 characters, however, are a greater challenge and thus even more fun! Plus, they're not as tedious as a singleton can be and you don't feel as alone. It's indeed very interesting to construct different variations of the 2-char-party, especially in the original games, and especialliest in A3.

I'm trying a 2-char-party in A5 right now, and I must say, it's a bit of work...

@feline monstrosity: so you're a reptile, huh?

I'm playing a 2-character party through A3 right now. They're both human, but one is a Tank/Priest with Fast on Feet/Elite Warrior who focuses on her Polearms more than her spells, and the other one is a Mage/Thief/Apothecary who, while dabbling in Melee weapons, is more of a spell-slinging girl at heart.

I cheated a bit by giving Lv.3 of Unlock Doors, Move Mountains, Dispel Barrier, Far Sight and Safe Travel to my characters, but I always do that now that I've already played the game through before.

In order to get Simulacrum* and Capture Soul at Lv. 3, I had to make a third "mule" character with Good Education, whom I promptly left behind at Fort Emergence afterward, but, now that I think about it, it might have just been that my Rune Reading was too low. How much Vahnatai Lore do those spells actually require/do you also need high Rune Reading?

*As an aside, It occurs to me that it was a combination of the Avernum games and this forum that made me realize that I have mild dyslexia. Until I went to check their spellings for posts here, I thought that they were Chiterachs, Trelani, Slithzeraki, and Silamacrium instead of Chitrachs, Thralni, Slithzerikai, and Simulacrum. Thank you, Spiderweb Software Forums. <3

Originally Posted By: Pig Catapult
It occurs to me that it was a combination of the Avernum games and this forum that made me realize that I have mild dyslexia. Until I went to check their spellings for posts here, I thought that they were Chiterachs, Trelani, Slithzeraki, and Silamacrium instead of Chitrachs, Thralni, Slithzerikai, and Simulacrum. Thank you, Spiderweb Software Forums. <3

Well, Slithzerakai, actually, but close enough.