I don't suppose anyone here got into modding?

Feo Takahari

Played Nethergate, and got accustomed to that system where the things you can ask about light up blue. Tried to play Exile, and found out that you're supposed to figure out for yourself what can and can't be asked about. Certain individuals on these boards have posted that those who get irritated at having to manually enter every noun in a scrap of dialogue to continue the conversation are simply "stupid," but certain others seem to have the same difficulties as I do. My question is, given that people have been making all sorts of editors and cheats (for Jeff's later games, at any rate), did anyone ever make a mod or something of that nature to make it apparent what words can be asked of what NPCs?

The later games are easily modified because the scripts are available. That's not true of the Exile games, so alterations are pretty much limited to changing the graphics.

You can usually tell what's worth asking about from context. Is someone going on about nephils? Ask about nephils.

—Alorael, who recommends the frantic clicking method for E3/BoE. Clicking on a word that is a conversation option works the same as entering the text. Actually, clicking on anything with the right four letters does, which sometimes leads to funny things.

In Exile 1 and 2, the conversation options keywords are almost always the most interesting and substantial words to appear in each dialogue passage. Typically each dialogue passage will contain either zero, 1, or 2 such keywords.

You don't have to enter every noun, just the interesting ones.

Also -- unlike Avernum -- there are exceedingly few scraps of dialogue that you actually have to hear to advance the game (Exile 1 has less than ten that I can think of). It's nice to hear everything, but important clues are generally made pretty easy to find. If you end up missing some random townsperson's comments on glowing fungi or how much they hate kitties, it really doesn't matter.