Defeating the Undefeatable

Crynsos

Maybe a bit late but... did you ever defeat one of the "Undefeatable" Characters in an Exile game?

Like in E3 (The only one I can speak of, since I HAD it registered), I managed to kill Rentar-Ihrno after a good, and LONG battle... the Empress was also supposed to be undefeatable, lived no more than a few minutes (Maximum) when I attacked her though...

Those are the only "Undefeatable ones I can think of now... anymore you killed?

I thought only Rentar-Ihrno is supposed to be truly unbeatable. Most of the rest just cause instantaneous death if you harm them. Like Erika if you have no Cooling Amulets, Prazac, and the entire population of Fort Emergence.

—Alorael, who actually remembers Prazac being rather fragile. It's a small comfort when you get smacked down by an instant death node for doing the deed. At least in E1 you get a chance at a getaway with enough brooches.

• 5 months later...

Jeff tosses the "undefeatable" label out a bit too much, methinks.

Characters that don't have the "you attack you die" node on them are usually easily taken out. Erika was simple, especially since her Doomguards didn't move. Rentar I had a bit of trouble with, but I recall that I whittled away her health while gulping down healing potions and she eventually gave in.

I killed a bunch of dragons, except for Mortrax. I loved that old boy..

Quote:
Originally written by It hates Iffy:
Did anythings special happen when you killed Rentar-Ihrno in A3?
No, because it's not supposed to be possible. The game behaves as if she's still alive as far as the ending is concerned.

—Alorael, who still thinks that the climactic final battle that you can't actually win as a battle is a good idea. Last battles tend towards the pushover end of the spectrum anyway.

I thought Rentar-Ihrno died in Avernum 3. She did reappear as an apparition, but having never played A4 or A5 I wouldn't know.

The vahnatai are overrated.

Ok, I just thought of a place in Avernum 3. There's a whole bunch of dervishes camped near Blackcrag Fortress. I was incapable of destroying their whole camp, so is it possible to do so?

You can never empty out the army near Blackcrag.

Also, SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!

Rentar-Ihrno makes another appearance as the major villain in A4, at the end of which you can kill her or not. A5 confirms that she's very dead, though. Most of us are thankful.

End of SPOILERS!

—Alorael, who now adds spoiler tags to the list of things missing from UBB that would be nice to have around.

Quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:
Doomguards a nightmare? In E3, no way; just the opposite. All you had to do was haste yourself, make yourself invulnerable, and Shockwave them to death.
If you have to turn yourself invincible to kill something, clearly it isn't THAT easy. Obviously if you're willing to cast protect on everyone / chug ironskin brews, you can kill anything. I usually don't like to do that.

• 1 month later...