"To Hit" factors?

Why would my melee guy miss so much? He's a nephil, 6 strength, 3 dexterity, 7 melee weapons. I have a slith with a spear, similar pole weapons skill but lower strength and dexterity, never misses. Once the nephil missed literally four or five times in a row, it must have looked pretty funny inside the game world. I haven't skipped ahead, so they're fighting level-appropriate enemies. I'm up to the Fort Duvno area now and he keeps missing a lot as I increase his strength and melee weapons. It an up-to-date version of the game, I re-downloaded it like two weeks ago. Am I missing something? Is he a spy for Rentar?

Hello all, thanks. He is carrying a lot of gear. Does that reduce the chance to hit even when the character is not over their weight limit?

He has Fast On Feet and Strong Will. So I don't think it's that. Maybe he's so quick and stubborn that he's ahead of himself and won't get out of his own way! smile

I don't think gear carried ever affects miss chance, just AP. In any case, it shouldn't have any effect below the losing AP cutoff.

—Alorael, who suspects you've got a uniquely defective party member. Has he maybe been hitting the bottle a little hard? Enjoying some skribbane between adventures? Eating mushrooms that weren't the same as the usual Avernite diet?

Originally Posted By: Metagenetic linkage
I don't think gear carried ever affects miss chance, just AP. In any case, it shouldn't have any effect below the losing AP cutoff.

—Alorael, who suspects you've got a uniquely defective party member. Has he maybe been hitting the bottle a little hard? Enjoying some skribbane between adventures? Eating mushrooms that weren't the same as the usual Avernite diet?

"Wait a minute -- this isn't catnip!!!"

In every party I end up with one character who seems to lag behind the others. I keep dumping skill point enhancers on them until they catch up.

Originally Posted By: Toby-Linn
Yeah one of my characters always seems to lag as well....in my Avernum 3 party it's my slith, he's level 25 or so, and everyone else is around level 27.

Do Nephils have any race traits that could effect how well they hit?

Not that I know of. Actually this character's level is ok, he just sucks compared to his level. And all other levels. Now he's level 12 and I have his Melee Weapons up to 7. I think he is becoming more competent now.

Yes, I've noticed this kind of thing too. I usually make a balanced party of a Slith Fighter, a Nephil Archer/Fighter, a Human Mage and a Human Priest. However, the Nephil usually ends up not carrying their weight. I know Archery isn't the best, but isn't it a little odd to be doing only 20-45 Missile Damage at level 30? Their Melee seems to be impaired as well.

This is something I've mainly noticed in the old Avernum Engine, since I don't play 4 and 5 as much. This doesn't seem to be a problem with stats or weight or weapons.

Originally Posted By: Fractal
Yes, I've noticed this kind of thing too. I usually make a balanced party of a Slith Fighter, a Nephil Archer/Fighter, a Human Mage and a Human Priest. However, the Nephil usually ends up not carrying their weight. I know Archery isn't the best, but isn't it a little odd to be doing only 20-45 Missile Damage at level 30? Their Melee seems to be impaired as well.

You made an archer/fighter. When you spread your skill points between two abilities, of course your character is going to be weaker in each of them than a character devoted to one thing.

Ah. In the original trilogy missile weapons were crippled. They only became a good way to deal damage in A4.

—Alorael, who has generally found skill points put into archery not well spent in A1-3. You can use a few, but they're really only good for when you absolutely can't close and start whacking in melee.

One of the things that was fairly innovate about A4 was the fact that missile weapons were just as usable as melee or magical attacks. Although A4 was really just translating breath attacks from Geneforge, this is still exceedingly rare in CRPGs.

In almost all the other games I can think of that have effective missile weapons -- Might & Magic, Eye of the Beholder, etc. -- the missile weapons still aren't very good, and they are only usable because the game places strict limitations on the number of characters who can make melee attacks, sometimes only 2 out of 6. Ultima 4, in which one missile weapon approaches Cidolfas Orlandu in terms of overpoweredness, would be an exception. Are there any others?

Well... Prince of Destruction is more action than RPG, but it bills itself as an RPG and ranged attacks are definitely a good idea.

Diablo is also in the semi-RPG category, and again there are character builds that are exclusively based on ranged weapons.

If you want party-based RPGs, I'm drawing a blank. Plenty of Japanese RPGs offer you characters reliant on ranged weapons, but they tend to be indistinguishable from melee. Oh, and swords are always better anyway.

—Alorael, who definitely thinks the list is grim if you exclude firearms. MMORPGs fill in the gap, probably, but they're special.