Athron's lair key

Silb Aran

Hi,

my party just managed to make its way to the entrance of Athron's lair, after having just barely escaped death through over-annoyance caused by ungodly death-spraying shrubs and one-turn-meat-shield-killing lava bats (argh!).

All this to find - a level 28 door...

mad

Can someone please tell me where to find a key (before my characters lose whatever sanity they have left)?

By the way, is there a mean of significantly reducing acid damage (other than dying )?

I predict this question makes top three most asked questions on quests for A4

To enter the lair of Athron, the Departed:

Talk to Sleater, who is camped out near the entrance to the lair. Go inside and kill the drake guarding the door. Go back to Sleator and run though dialog with him till he offers you a key to get in.

Go back and go in and get ready...

Speaking to Sleater was my first idea, since he seems to hint that he knows "secrets" about Athron's lair. But even after having killed the drake, he keeps saying "you've given me no reason to help you".

Hmm... perhaps you've got to get rid of the undead plague first (which I haven't yet) to "give him reason to help you". I'll update this thread once I've tried that.

Edit: Ok, it works.

It's possible to kill shrubs without letting them spray you as long as your casters go after the shrub in combat order and your fighters go before it. Move your casters in range, throw Bolts of Fire (or whatever), then have your fighters swap places with casters to move them out of range and move your fighters out of range as well. It can take some careful moving, but it can be done almost everywhere you encounter shrubs, fungi, and even some pylons.

—Alorael, who didn't figure out the key until after he had come up with enough magical power to Unlock the door. Oops.

Quote:
Originally written by *i:
You need to kill the Metris Undead first that way he believes you to be worthy of the task. What's inside is pretty disappointing to say the least.
Are you kidding? What is inside is something you will use the entire rest of the game.

I was wondering in retrospect if the Mertis undead figured into acquiring that key. I typically took care of the undead early on, so didn't link it to Sleater's offering of the key, but it makes sense since he is the one with the secret to fighting the undead in the first place.

Yes, the Infernal Shroud is great, but seriously, Jeff could have put it anywhere.

Athron's lair was horribly weak in terms of what it used to be. It's just one big room with a demon. I was hoping for something a little more exciting than that. It's as if Jeff got tired of doing a real dungeon and just made a room with a bunch of treasure...

Yeah, you got me there, the lair was a very uninspired design aesthetically. I seem to recall saying, "That's it?" after the first time I went in, and I even somehow missed picking up that shroud my first game too. Wasn't Athron's Lair the place we faced those nasty living statues in a previous Avernum?

Quote:
Originally written by *i:
Athron's lair was horribly weak in terms of what it used to be. It's just one big room with a demon. I was hoping for something a little more exciting than that. It's as if Jeff got tired of doing a real dungeon and just made a room with a bunch of treasure...
Ah, but remember from A2, there was just the one main room that you entered, with a teleporter down a secret passage off the side of the room. There really wasn't all that much in the entrance chamber, so it kind of makes sense for A4.

Quote:
Originally written by Silb Aran:
is there a means of significantly reducing acid damage (other than dying )?
Yes, at least by level 3 of Cure, your priest can cure acid. I just cured acid that the Boneborer spewed on my fighter. It might work with less than level 3, but you can attain level 3 in the Eastern Gallery.

The more poisoned or acided (neologism!) you are, the more Curing is required to heal you. That can mean lots of low level cures or a few high level cures. Magery, Spellcraft, and Priest skill also increase the ameliorative powers of each Cure.

—Alorael, who did indeed use ameliorative. In English.

Actually, as of the end of A3 the dragons are still alive and on the surface just like in A3. Athron is probably busy mothering her brood, Khoth has his head in a book, and Sulfras may be setting innocents ablaze out of boredom.

—Alorael, who won't say what draconic revelations are in store for A4. But here's a hint: genders aren't resolved. In fact, in an early beta Athron switched yet again!