First Mac version released

Seletine

When Geneforge 3 came out, it was the same situation: somebody reported on the file being available for download from the FTP site before the official announcement.

I'd rather have waited for an official announcement, quite frankly. Makes it a more of a grand occasion rather than an "underhanded" one.

I think I'll follow *i's adivce and download it when it's really done.

I'm deeply sorry for your operating system's inadequacies... but that's for another discussion in another time.

Anyway, it'll be out soon (at least for us Mac users), and then all of us can finally share our boundless wisdom about the workings of Avernum IV. And believe me, we've amassed quite a bit.

Initial impressions - pretty much what I expected, feels like more of the same but updated a bit. Somewhat annoying that there are only 2 slith and nephilim graphics...if I wanted a party of all one or the other, I could see a problem. Most of the streamlined things, like the elimination of arrows and the big "?" by NPCs I like, though I could see it annoying a few people. The circle for area of effect spells looks cool but I think a grid system like in Exile would do a better job of showing who is in the radius and who isn't. Overall, about what I expected so far (only played a round a bit).

Spiderweb games and the Marathon games are the only times in all my gaming history I remember being able to enjoy a good game before the Windoze people got their mitts on it. Let us minority Mac users enjoy our rare privilege.

I'm patiently waiting for Civilization IV for Mac right now (tap...tap...tap).