walkthrough

You know, I thought about writing a walkthrough for A4. I even started taking notes. Then I realized that, as neat as it would be to have something I wrote in a forum header, I'm just too lazy to do a good job.

If you're really desperate for a walkthrough, buy the hintbook. If you're less desperate for a walkthrough, ask specific questions.

—Alorael, who didn't find any of A4 as painfully confusing as, say, the Halls of Chaos, the Remote Cave (Black Halberd), or the Test of Mind. Most of it is straightforward. Move, kill, loot, repeat. Dodge some pylons on the way.

Quote:
It's only been out for a couple of days, and you are already asking for a walkthrough?

Good lord, you must suck. Either that or you are too impaitient. Wait.
HEM HEM i am asking for a walkthrough becuase i DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY TO BUY ITT WITH and i'd care to know what happens
take that spring!!
please apologize

You know, A4 doesn't really seem to be begging for a walkthrough like previous games to my thinking. The biggest reason for this is that with no more hidden secrets, the challenge of the game is not on unknowns so much as on finding ways to deal with what is known.

I found all the quests straightforward enough to solve on my own, the only exception being a quest in which I had missed a body on which was some key information enabling a quest. If you look in things and check out things wherever you go, it should be straightforward.

This from a guy who does not hesistate to consult online game FAQs when his patience wears thin on illogically-constructed puzzles and challenges. I don't enjoy wracking my brain just because it can be done.

Someone will write a walkthrough sooner or later. I could nearly write one from memory at this point.

Oh, no. There are some pylons you will definitely want to dodge. Don't worry, it will be abundantly clear which is which.

—Alorael, who did spent quite some time touching pylons too, and he didn't require a walkthrough for that either. He was even smart enough to touch them before he was told to, which saved him some boring backtracking.

I just killed those pylons. I can't recall dodging any ever.

And arghhhhhhhhh: if you have something you want to add to a post, use the "edit" button rather than double-posting.

I concur that this game doesn't really need a walkthrough. That said, I'm tempted to write one. It's possible that I may devote some time to it over winter break, but I make no guarantees.

If you killed all the pylons in the place where you get the Jade Halberd without dodging them even once, you're an inefficient masochist.

If you killed all the many, many pylons in a certain very important area in which Jeff specifically made dodging pylons easier, then you don't need any help at all surviving on Torment because your party is clearly able to dodge bullets and death rays.

—Alorael, who is very proud of his spoiler-free circumlocutions.

Quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:
Hem hem: I am asking for a walktrough because I don't have any money to buy it with and I'd care to know what happens!
Take that Spring!
Please apologise
I'm not meaning to start a fight. But, I don't back down from what I said. Wait for someone to make one, try and do it yourself, ask specific questions, or make one yourself.

Quote:
Originally written by Chrism:
If you killed all the pylons in the place where you get the Jade Halberd without dodging them even once, you're an inefficient masochist.
I'm pretty sure I did, and I probably am.

Quote:
If you killed all the many, many pylons in a certain very important area in which Jeff specifically made dodging pylons easier, then you don't need any help at all surviving on Torment because your party is clearly able to dodge bullets and death rays.
You mean west of Fort Remote? (I presume that the location alone is not a spoiler.) If so, yes, I killed all of them. If you take them one at a time, it's not very hard.

Quote:
Originally written by Minsc:
approximatively how many extra skill points can we hope to gain by knowledge brews/crystals by the end of the game?
I gained about 30, but I never used any potion ingredients on anything else.

Quote:
edit: and while we're at it, what would be a good number of arcane lore/ nature lore ?
20 will do for Nature Lore, but you don't actually need more than about 15 or 16 until the very end of the game, and you only need it if you want to grab valuable but unnecessary items out of the ground. I think 18 will do for Arcane Lore.

Quote:
Originally written by MidniteNightingale:
Quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:
Or, you could write the walkthrough and be the hero for everyone.

*this message sponsored by cnet networks*
Please, please, no. Did you see his first post? "soemeone plz writ a walkthrouhg?"

Can you imagine the quality of that? wink
Ahem you are infact incorrect his post did not say "soemeone plz writ a walkthrouhg?" he in fact said "hi could someoe please write a walkthrough" I know that its not much different and his Grammar is bad and his typing and so but we sorta grow outta it. And he does seem annoying but... so am i and when i first joined my Grammar was worse than his.. It improved a little so err I don't know.

PS: Is it just on mine or is everyone able once that the get the whispering crystal or whatever the name of it was, are you also able to waltz right into the icy blackness? I am and i cant see anything when i do but if i wander long enough i was able to reach a new town, with job board and everything! I consider this cheating Jeff out of his money so i ignore it as Im planning to buy the game within a week but still come on jeff that makes it all to easy for some punk to steel the game.

EDIT: 444 post's thats a cool number laugh

Quote:
HEM HEM i am asking for a walkthrough becuase i DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY TO BUY ITT WITH and i'd care to know what happens
take that spring!!
please apologize[/QB]
confused Let me get this straight. You want a walkthrough because you want to read the what happens, meaning that you want to read the plot like a story with tactics your not going to nead mixed in. Huh? That makes no sense. Avernum 4 is not a book. It is a game. A game with a good plot, I'll give you that, but still is a game.

Actually now I think about it it does have a few novelish qualities. It is a sequel in a series. It is created by an author who has created another series. It has written text. The plot is just like a good-written book, full of suspense with new dillemas when you move to another screen. (Supposed to mean turning a page) You have charcters that develop during the game, learn new skills and become more heroic or eviler.

So in all...
Does anyone know the release date for Avernum 4: The Novel is? :p

Quote:
you don't have to torment us noobs

you were a noob once syngery and spiring
how will we rise to your level it you keep beating us down?
Oh, man, you just can't TRY to write this stuff! I like the "Syngery" and "Spiring" touch in this one especially.

argh^9 (may I just call you argh?)—Trust me, you haven't seen me trying to beat you down, and you'd know if I was. (Look for my review of Canopy back in Sept., when I was a noob, for an example of Synergy Truly UNamused).

Teasing, well now that's another matter, but I could swear you're doing all you can to make us unable to resist the temptation. Silly posts invite silly replies, and asking a community to generate a complete walkthrough for someone who is not even going to play the game is really quite silly, or just plain maniacally ego-centric and demanding. I decided to go with "silly" and respond accordingly, though if you reacquaint yourself with my first reply to your, um, request, you will see I gave you an entirely untormentifying answer.

I recommend acquiring some better armor, so you are less easily wounded. Talk with Ariadne in Fort Dranlon. She'll send you on a wild quest to get some. It's a great story too. You could read all about it of course, if you got the game for yourself. It' s not too late to try to impress Santa with how nice you've been, making you truly Avernum-worthy this year. (Though I forsee that some may reply with the insistence that it is being naughty that makes you Avernum-worthy this year).

to all the teasings i have acquired

now the reason the misspelling is I DON'T CARE

for, i am young and i am typing and as long as this is legible does it matter

now unless you are strongbad or something(put in on yahoo it's hillarious) you don't have to make fun of the grammer

though it's true i like getting teased, i don't like it when it's that much!!!!!

espesicially (sorry for the possible teasing for misspelling)

what are you talking about syngery, i thought you were talking about the metaphorical armor for shielding for teasing not fictional armor....perhaps

again i say that i want a walkthrough becuase i want to know what happens and i can't register becuase i don't have money!

and why would someone write a walkthrough if someone didn't ask!? hmm?

lastly, hawkking i'm annoying?..

(oh by the way hawkking look at the last post of editor available

anyway, back on topic otherwise the blademasters(shh they are everywhere) will ban us!!!

good bye!!!

(not really)

Quote:
what are you talking about syngery, i thought you were talking about the metaphorical armor for shielding for teasing not fictional armor....
Well, see, I did this silly thing where I linked your need for metaphorical armor against teasing with a way you can find some really good armor in the story of Avernum 4 you wish we would write for you. Isn't that hilarious?

P.S. - I'd still work on the Santa angle, if I were you.

Quote:
why would someone write a walkthrough if someone didn't ask!? hmm?
Out of sheer kindness and/or love of the game. It has been done before.

Quote:
(oh by the way hawkking look at the last post of editor available
You know, the way you want to do everything without just buying the game is getting a bit annoying... I mean seriously, the good items are hard to get for a reason.

Quote:
anyway, back on topic otherwise the blademasters(shh they are everywhere) will ban us!!!
This is unlikely. Unless you are terminally abrasive (as TM has been in the past), ungodly annoying (such as the advertisers), or intent on posting lewd images (I can't remember any examples), you won't get banned.

But on the subject of the walkthrough, I seriously look forward to the day you buy the game, play it through, and write a wonderful walkthrough for us all... a walkthrough based on personal and lengthy experience, and painstakingly crafted to depict the game as best as humanly possible. But until that day, if nobody feels like writing a walkthrough, please do not expect us to make one materialize out of thin air less than two weeks after the game is released.

Alright?

Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
Quote:
This is unlikely. Unless you are terminally abrasive (as TM has been in the past), ungodly annoying (such as the advertisers), or intent on posting lewd images (I can't remember any examples), you won't get banned.
Blademasters can't ban anyone anyway, being as they're mods and banning requires an admin.

Also, with regard to your third point, how could you have forgotten EraserHead so soon?

Quote:
now the reason the misspelling is I DON'T CARE
for, i am young and i am typing and as long as this is legible does it matter
Generally, observing a reasonable standard of writing mechanics is considered good manners around here, because "im n teh Plais wt da dogz nd i nede hlep" is hard to decipher. If you don't care that your posts are difficult to read for us, then surely you will understand if we don't bother to read them.

well i don't mean it like that kelandon i just mean for example i just mean for exammple k?

like that putting a extra M in the word example thats legible

besides i had no idea what you said with the plz dg u brn no idea at all dude

anyway, ehposes(or whatever the heck your name is) when i buy the game(which will be before 2006 i promise) i will write a walkthrough for you dude k?

Of course, making a walkthrough requires that you actually play the game, have skill, concepts of strategy, and the ability to write in such a fashion that people would be willing to read it.

So far, you have shown none of these qualities.

I would venture a guess that your walkthrough will be little more than plagiarised information taken from these boards from the players that do the real work with no credit to them, and none of the assistance of a spell checker to boot.

A little politeness goes a long way, everyone. Please cool off and be nice. If you're posting just to complain about someone, you can probably just close the window instead of clicking "Add Reply." And now I'm going to tread dangerously close to stepping over the line I've just drawn.

Argh, a little effort on your posts would be appreciated. In addition to stopping many of the complaints, it would also genuinely make them easier to read, which in turn would make readers more likely to pay attention and be helpful.

—Alorael, who has to admit that he is always particularly pained by walkthroughs that fail to adhere to the most basic principles of English like capitalization. It is a basic service to those who may read your work to make it legible. Honestly, how hard can it be to hold down the shift key now and then.

• 1 month later...

Aside from all $#!+ related to noobs and walkthroughs, I'm having a particular problem with the Radiant Pylons in the tunnels east of Fort Saffron - Whenever I try to kill one, it "stops attacking and begins to reform itself" no matter what I do even though my mage blasts it for at least 70 damage each turn with Lightning Spray. How can I destroy these pylons? I've managed to kill all the bandits, including Khester, but can't handle even a single pylon. I haven't, however, gone past the zombified adventurers to sneak into R-I's fort, so if this is the problem (Corrolea's advice to search for a magical device there that may be of use against the shades seems to suggest this) please tell me.

Thanks...

As you've probably noticed, you can sneak past and around most of the pylons. In the southeast part of the base there's a stretch where you'll just have to tough out a few pylons before reaching the controls or energy crystal or something. Once you break it you can kill pylons without them regenerating.

—Alorael, who had lots of fun with that fort. The real trick is preventing the bandits left between you and the controls from blocking the way. Haste and run with the fighters who can survive being zapped, but leave healers somewhere safe so they can keep healing.

cool... haven't gone back to deal with those, but have managed now to "defeat" R-I the first time and to get through to the Abyss.

Frustrating that the key to getting them to stop reforming is somewhere protected by so many pylons... and the only place in the fort I never went! :p

Ah well... now I have Arcane Blow on a wiz with 17 Mage Spells, 13 Spellcraft, and 7 Intelligence, which, all in all, means I can smash a circular group of enemies for over 150dmg each. smile Too bad the spell is so costly... I actually ran out while fighting the leader of the Spire Fort gang.

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
"im n teh Plais wt da dogz nd i nede hlep"
Yeah, that fight with the mutant dogs IS tough! The way I dealt with it was to haste my fighters, run across the gallery towards the chest, whilst using my priest to heal any damage done. Then, as my fighter reached the chest, I prised out the stick (1-4 *5/level damage -- a good weapon...) and threw it.

Any dogs that are not already lying in their own juices should chase it, leaving you free to snatch the Almighty Dragon-Slaying Spanner at your own pace.

I really can't wait for this thing to come out.

• 4 weeks later...

Not yet.

—Alorael, who considers these boards a walkthrough on request. Besides, A4 lacks all of the real puzzles that made other Avernums difficult. It's just a matter of hacking and slashing, finding the lever in a certain keep, learning how to dodge pylons, and not worrying too much about the Abyss before you can get there.