How does respawning work?

Hondero

I recently started Exile 2, and I love it. It's perfect, except for one thing:

What's the deal with monster respawning? I can see the point of it if you leave a dungeon for a while, and then come back. That's realistic. But when I am playing Exile 2, the monsters seem to respawn while I am still walking around the same dungeon. Personally, I think it's obscene. In areas like Elderaan's Tower, it's ridiculous. It seems more like something an old 80's rpg might have, but not the Exile series.

Fortunately, I haven't noticed this in Exile 3 or Blades, but I still am hooked on Exile 2. Can someone explain how respawing works, such as its schedules? Maybe there is a way to disable it. It's such a good game, but I'm getting frustrated! > frown

Thanks,

Rob

It's definitely still there in E3, although it might be toned down from what it was in E2 because I haven't played that one. In BoE I believe it's up to the designer whether a dungeon respawns.

I don't think there's a general rule about respawn rates, I believe it can be set differently for each town (In BoE at least. In the trilogy Jeff probably used a standard respawn chance for each town) and I don't think you can turn it off. Just try not to leave a dungeon to rest too often, or use "Wait 40 Moves" unless you really have to, because otherwise you're going to be re-facing monsters over and over again. Yes, monsters do respawn even while you're in the dungeon, but unless you leave or rest for a long time you'll usually only face lone respawns, which can be easily killed. If you rest for a long time you'll have to face whole groups of respawns, which can actually be tough. The one plus is that respawns still give drops and exp.

Just wait until you get to the tower of shifting floors in E3.... Talk about respawns being a pain in the ass....

Monster respawns are almost certainly variable in all versions of Exile, as towns don't spawn monsters.

If someone can tell me where in the BoE code monster respawns are handled, I can try to figure out whether the rate is similarly variable in Exile I and II. A lot of the code is similar enough that it's possible to make comparisons like that.

Clearly towns are incapable of respawning monsters-- there are no monsters to kill and thus need respawning. New monsters aren't spawned, old monsters that are dead are respawned. Otherwise if you entered a dungeon, killed nothing, left, and came back later it'd be overrun by new monsters.

But yeah, Jeff almost certainly could set the respawn rate for a given dungeon to whatever he wanted, although it seems likely he used a similar number for every dungeon.

Quote:
Just wait until you get to the tower of shifting floors in E3.... Talk about respawns being a pain in the ass....
In my opinion that's the most difficult dungeon in both trilogies.

I've only fiddled with BoE once, and I think respawn rates are set in the town details section.

Quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:
Clearly towns are incapable of respawning monsters-- there are no monsters to kill and thus need respawning. New monsters aren't spawned, old monsters that are dead are respawned. Otherwise if you entered a dungeon, killed nothing, left, and came back later it'd be overrun by new monsters.
That's not actually how wandering monsters work, at least in BoE: there can be up to four wandering monster spawn points in every town, each of which can randomly generate monsters at a rate dependent on a variable set in Town Details. They don't respawn placed monsters; instead, they create new ones, which can be of a type not otherwise found in the town (again, the monster types created can be set by a preference option). All spawned monsters are erased when you leave town.

Hmmm. Well I'm fairly sure that it doesn't work exactly that way in the trilogy. I specifically remember in the giant fort that if you left and rested some of the guards guarding the entrance (the lava bridge) would always come back, and if you waited for too long they'd all come back. Same thing at the golem factory, the golems guarding the entrance would return if you waited a while.

There certainly could be special cases.

I thought the spawned monsters weren't erased when you left, though, or at least not in the first two Exile games, when I remember resting several thousand times in goblin and nephil forts, and coming and going.

They *definitely* weren't erased in the original Nethergate. shudder.

Quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:
Hmmm. Well I'm fairly sure that it doesn't work exactly that way in the trilogy. I specifically remember in the giant fort that if you left and rested some of the guards guarding the entrance (the lava bridge) would always come back, and if you waited for too long they'd all come back. Same thing at the golem factory, the golems guarding the entrance would return if you waited a while.
Ah, I see the source of our confusion: the original poster was talking about wandering monsters that appear while you're in town (which is what I replied to), while you're talking about towns resetting after you leave them. To make a town reset, you have to visit at least 4 other towns before revisiting it.

Ahhh, I see. I never really made a distinction between the two, I just assumed that the towns slowly reset a few creatures at a time, so what I was observing with wandering monsters were a few monsters being reset at a time. And what I observed when I left town and came back to find a lot of monsters respawned was the same thing, but with more time obviously having passed. Guess not.