A4 Bugs

*i

If you tell your characters to walk a long way and they run into somebody, they just stop instead of going around.

Many encounter dialogues (the one I remember specifically is Hrickis) don't begin early enough; I often get moved into combat and go through a few rounds before I start talking to them. If I didn't move up with my melee fighters, I probably would never get the encounter dialogue.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not, but the Transient Sentinals guarding Demonslayer don't give exp and first aid doesn't work after you fight them. (are first aid returns exp based?)

And I don't think it's because of the level difference, although I am level 20.

Also, when training skills, if you meet the requirements for a special skill, it wont appear until you leave the training screen and then hit train again.

And, you can only train twice in riposte. You have to leave the training screen and come back, then you can train twice more.

Is it just me, or are hp's much harder to obtain them sp? I have 7 in INT and 10 in END and I have 130 hp's and 165 sp's.

Quote:
Originally written by Duality:
And, you can only train twice in riposte. You have to leave the training screen and come back, then you can train twice more.
I had a similar problem with Sharpshooter -- I was only able to raise it once for each time I brought up the training window.

Oh, and then there's the Annatolia/Crewl bug, which I've already sent to Jeff and received a reply along the lines of "Thanks; I'll look into it."

Hello. This is my first post.

I registered just so I can report my problem, but then I started up Avernum 4 to get the exact error message, and now everything works fine! I'm using v1.0 on mac OS 10.4.3.

Anyway, the message was along the lines of "can't load zone script [scriptname.txt]". It happened around the ruins NE of fort remote and again when I left fort remote to the west. The Vahnatai warriors there didn't attack me (I now know they were supposed to). I think it also happened in the scree caves a couple times.

I had reinstalled A4, repaired permissions, and restarted the computer, but these steps didn't help. But this morning it all works, so I guess something happened to fix it.

I only hope I haven't missed an event. Will the event play if I go back to those areas? For the Fort Remote area I never saved the game so these events play when I visit for the first time. However, for the other areas, they are long since cleared out. If it happens again, I'll provide better details.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a road sign in the Great Cave near the Avernite soldiers who tell you about the other Avernite soldiers hunting Chitrachs. It's south of Kraig's mine.

Anyway, the sign says Patrick's Tower is to the southwest but the tower is more like due east.

It also says that Fort Remote is south when southwest would be better, but that's being picky.

This may not be important, but it's on the same lines as SNM's post.

When I entered the evil slith fort in the Great Cave I went east from the outset into the door that leads to the room with all the barriers. It skipped the encounter dialog about the seeing a giant and the slith chieftain since I didn't go the center path. I got the encounter dialog about the giant and such as I left the area and after I had killed everything, which was sort of wierd.

I also remember a seriously delayed encouter dialog with the small vanhatai camp just west of Fort Remote.

Also, a few times when I resurrected my fourth character, his picture didn't show up (all his info and inventory did, as did the actual character on the screen, just no character picture), and wouldn't until I resurrected him again. Not sure what that was about.

If a Character dies then is resurrected they will return with full spell points. A nice feature to exploit as for 50 sp you gain regain a mage with 300 sp. Also the giants all seem really stupid. You can walk right up to them before they attack. That is the giants which patrol the area around Harston. When a character is using an item in their backpack say a potion it may only be used once then the screen closes. I think this should be the players choice whether the screen closes or not. All items do not fit in the quick slots.

Riposte shouldn't be fixed. Having a skill should never penalize you, and taking damage for having Riposte would be a penalty.

Quick slots exist for a reason. They are limited for a reason. Your inventory is not meant to be instantly accessible at all times.

—Alorael, who can sound righteous about use of intentory mostly because he never used potions, wands, or scrolls in combat. The most he ever did was switch weapons.

Quote:
Originally written by Dupreciation:
Quick slots exist for a reason. They are limited for a reason. Your inventory is not meant to be instantly accessible at all times.
After all, it's not realistic to be able to dig around in your backpack for an item in the same amount of time it takes to grab an item from your belt. The extra AP cost for using an item in your regular inventory reflects this.

(See Fallout for an example of an easily exploitable inventory management system. Using a healing item that was in your hand cost 2 action points. Accessing inventory cost 4 action points, but after that you could use as many items as you liked for no additional AP cost. Very handy if you were badly injured enough to need to use 5 or so healing items at once.)

Quote:
Originally written by SNM:

Many encounter dialogues (the one I remember specifically is Hrickis) don't begin early enough; I often get moved into combat and go through a few rounds before I start talking to them. If I didn't move up with my melee fighters, I probably would never get the encounter dialogue.
same problem with the vatanai you have to kill (north of formello, in the mortrax dragons tunnel - do not remeber his crazy, but it is the solution of the quest from formellos mayor)

Here's a weird one...

Battled the chitrach queen today in the Eastern Gallery chitrach tunnels. I managed to defeat her with all 4 members of my party intact. However, one of my guys was sprayed with acid and managed to die just as the queen was defeated and the victory dialog box came up. Oddly enough, I heard his death scream, but he was still alive with 0 hit points. Even funnier, I was able to use my priest to cast a heal spell on this fallen fighter which allowed him to go from 0 hit points to 35, and then to a full healing.

Anyone experienced something like this before?

Quote:
Originally written by VCH:
Yes generally I found dialogue triggers to not always function. At times I would completely kill everything in a certain room, then on my way out the initial description of the room would trigger. frown
Now that I think about it, I've noticed this on several occassions as well. In particular, right before a major battle (like the chitrach queen or even Hrickis) you can see the enemies on screen and even cast a few spells before the dialog sometimes triggers. It just seems to lag a bit at times.

I just fixed several of these, including the infinite Abisynthe problem.

The thing about dialogue triggers for fights is something I have been struggling to fix for several games. It's better than it was, but it still requires some work. It'll probably require some actual engine work in the next game.

- Jeff Vogel

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:
I just fixed several of these, including the infinite Abisynthe problem.

The thing about dialogue triggers for fights is something I have been struggling to fix for several games. It's better than it was, but it still requires some work. It'll probably require some actual engine work in the next game.

- Jeff Vogel
Oh fun, engine work :p Just wondering if you fixed these bugs in the Mac version, Windows Beta or both? Oh, and I'm still out of town, so I'll be able to get to testing in a few days :p

I may have just triggered a new bug, and I think I'm being punished for stealing.

I'm playing a singleton party on normal, and I just entered the Formello mines area for the first time. For some reason, every box that normally contains items in this area is now empty. Also, every item on the ground is gone.

This includes the items protected by the thorny fungus in the southeast mine, any gear belonging to the miners, and every item in the mine with the splice-worm infestation. Goodwife Hortense still sells gear as normal. Also, a little to the south, the farms north of Formello don't have the same problem, so at least it's an isolated issue. I didn't see this bug on the list of 1.0.1 fixes, and I don't think I saw this bug posted anywhere else in the forums.

So. . .do I get a prize? wink

Quote:
Originally written by smackhead_onrock:
I may have just triggered a new bug, and I think I'm being punished for stealing.

I'm playing a singleton party on normal, and I just entered the Formello mines area for the first time. For some reason, every box that normally contains items in this area is now empty. Also, every item on the ground is gone.

This includes the items protected by the thorny fungus in the southeast mine, any gear belonging to the miners, and every item in the mine with the splice-worm infestation. Goodwife Hortense still sells gear as normal. Also, a little to the south, the farms north of Formello don't have the same problem, so at least it's an isolated issue. I didn't see this bug on the list of 1.0.1 fixes, and I don't think I saw this bug posted anywhere else in the forums.

So. . .do I get a prize? wink
Just after reading your post I was messing around in Rhentar Ihrno's keep. It as the first time I've been there and after I killed the Formerly captured crystal soul (vryynas bok?) I recieved a wisdom crystal and a heroes necklace. everything else in the keep is empty and theres no loot on the ground. Pretty much the same thing. I saved and quit there and restarted. didn't help. I'm gonna try to leave for a while and come back.

Edit: Also, when I go to leave the fort and get to where the field of pylons were every time i move it activates combat, even though there are no enemies and i can just click right out of it. Very annoying.

Quote:
Originally written by jimmythesaint:
Also, when I go to leave the fort and get to where the field of pylons were every time i move it activates combat, even though there are no enemies and i can just click right out of it. Very annoying.
I recall having that one as well... in fact, I remember trying to communicate the problem during beta-testing. Once it happened while some vahnatai allies were fighting pylons out of my sight range, and apparently Jeff thought this was the cause, as that was the save file I sent in.

That area seems to be very buggy.

I've encountered the missing item problem, though I believe it's because of my adventuring in the blackness before registering. The items appeared as usual then, but after I registered the items in some areas around where I had been disappeared. I think it was limited to areas which had been loaded when I was wandering, since I haven't encountered the problem in further journeys. Also, I think that some items respawned (say, treasure in the Bandit Castle), though that could be an effect of loading a save outside the demo barrier.

First there is a design flaw. If you are using a laptop, F3 and F4 are reserved for sound control.

Second, Elite Warrior adds to strength at a moderate rate, but this only appears in the carrying capacity.

In version 1.0.1 beta, Hrickris appears as soon as you attack the skeletons on level 2. He slows you through the wall.

If you are in fight mode some of the messages appear at the wrong times. Eastern Gallery - young ogres' message never appears asking for money.

Submission fungi and spraying plants are only damaged if you are in their attack range in spite of the damage message,

In the original CD version:

Nodiacus can shoot through walls. He nailed my singleton hiding in the altar room with the door closed.

Eastern Gallery - Chitrach queen room - while waiting for an egg sac to hatch, it said, "Pit Ghoul waits"

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
First there is a design flaw. If you are using a laptop, F3 and F4 are reserved for sound control.
To use F3 and F4 instead of the volume controls, press the 'fn' key in the bottom left corner of your keyboard and then press the key. You can also switch this behavior in the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane, but I doubt you want to do that.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Second, Elite Warrior adds to strength at a moderate rate, but this only appears in the carrying capacity.
Huh. You're right. I just created two characters identical except that one had Elite Warrior and one didn't, and the Elite Warrior had a carrying capacity 16 lb higher than the other guy (82 lb vs 66 lb). That's equivalent to a difference of 2 points of Strength.

I have found that items are not saved properly if you are blipped back to start by loading a saved game past the shareware barrier, or using the return to start cheat code.

It also appears that my fix to keep you from going north from Fort Emerald didn't take.

Both of these will be fixed in the upcoming Mac update.

- Jeff Vogel