Avernum:4 vs Blades Of Avernum which is the best?

Buddy J

Our tangents have grown tangents.

—Alorael, who disputes any claim that English is uniquely idiosyncratic. All languages (except recently fabricated ones) have their foibled. Yes, some more than others, and English among those, but let he who is without warped syntax cast the first gerund.

At what point does the original topic become a tangent? Does it retain some privileged status, compared to other tangents? If so, for how long?

I say, three posts and you're toast. Bringing up the original topic again is okay if you apologize for it. Otherwise, going off topic is forbidden, unless it succeeds enough to spawn a new topic. He who strikes at a king must strike to kill!

Quote:
—Alorael, who wasn't sorry not to see a Doomguard. They're more pain than fun.
Aaaaah! A doomguard! Lets everyone attack it and throw spells and arrows and summons! Lets see... one doomguard with 150 hp. Silly little summoned lizard does 1 damage. Now - TWO doomguards with 149 hp.

Whack whack forever..... reload, let the slith with a big spear do it alone with some heals.

At least that's what I remembered from exile. Not sure hp worked like that after dividing. How does dividing work in A4?

Quote:
Originally written by Mivayan:
Aaaaah! A doomguard! Lets everyone attack it and throw spells and arrows and summons! Lets see... one doomguard with 150 hp. Silly little summoned lizard does 1 damage. Now - TWO doomguards with 149 hp.

At least that's what I remembered from exile. Not sure hp worked like that after dividing.
It did.

Quote:
How does dividing work in A4?
Some monsters, when killed, automatically "summon" one or more weaker monsters. Occasionally these weaker monsters themselves create new monsters when killed, and so on.

Originally by Mivayan:

Quote:
Cloud of Blades is a really bad idea too. And usually it is so helpful. Die now, Rakshasa!

Doomguards (and such) were okay in tiny spaces. Once they ran out of room, they stop dividing. Then one can wack/shoot/fireball/whatever without having another creature to worry about. After killing one, make sure to attack one with little health the next round.

Dikiyoba hates doomguards too. Unless you had one on your side...

Quest giver: Go slay every bandit in that fortress. They're tough, though.

Adventurer: Okay. I just sent a doomguard. Give me the reward.

I have the same knee-jerk reaction to "I" instead of "me" even though most "me" in place of "I" mistakes don't bother me. I thnk it's because honest mistakes in English (or just not caring) don't bother me. I'm guilty myself. Pretension without actually using proper English is irritating.

—Alorael, who can always avoid that by speaking in the third person. He doesn't think anyone mixes up third person subjective and objective cases, heself.