No tool ?

Mimi

Hello,

I have begun Avernum today and I like it because it is made with the same way than Geneforge.

Meanwhile i am suprised that the merchant doesn't propose tool to open door or crate ? is it normal ? confused:

I like very much the ameliorations in comparisons with Geneforge 3. And overall the characters move very quickly. :

Why ? I speak english so badly ?

laugh

I love Geneforge but I haven't played at avernum because I didn't like the "form" in 2 D. Now is the same thing that Geneforge and It's super.

For the tools, Why I won't need them ? it's not necessary that I reserve my points for unlock ? I have 6 points yet.

eek

The problem is that we must remember all the doors and crates that we have not able to open to come back when we'll have sufficient points and it's not very practical.

You'll find A4 opens crates/doors etc the same way as Geneforge with 1 difference - NO tools Mimi.

You have no Lockpick requirement like in Avernum, and you cant use 10 Living Tools like in Geneforge to boost your opening ability.

It works solely on the power of your unlock ability and/or spell.

Quote:
Originally written by Mimi:
Why ? I speak english so badly ?
You speak English fine. Although it is easy to tell your native of language is French from the way you phrase your words and order your sentences. NowAndAgain was only pointing out that while amelioration is technically an English word and can be found in any decent English dictionary, it is not normally used in the English language.

Quote:
Originally written by kuc:
You have no Lockpick requirement like in Avernum, and you cant use 10 Living Tools like in Geneforge to boost your opening ability.
Living tools boost the ability or open doors like in geneforge? I always hated them! mad Jeff made an overuse of them with some locked doors, and then i thought: "oh my...how i would love a lockpick now..."

Quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:words and order your sentences. NowAndAgain was only pointing out that while amelioration is technically an English word and can be found in any decent English dictionary, it is not normally used in the English language.[/QB]
I must use improvement instead amelioration ?

Well, an improvement that I would like and which exists in a few RPG games, is the possibility to make a mark on the map and even to write something. For example when I can't open a crate the possibility to mark the map to find it easily when I'll come back after having the points necessary of unlock

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
You know, I thought that too, but the OED didn't mention anything about that. The dictionaries I checked only made a passing reference to the idea. It's not as integral to the definition as I thought.
The Oxford American Dictionary (through the built-in Dictionary widget) carries "bad or unsatisfactory" as a denotated meaning of the word.

And while I like the new death system, am I the only one who thinks it lets you off a little too easily?

By the same argument, reloading a saved game when you die lets you off too easily. And if you believe that, go and play Angband until you can't stand it any more. :p

Seriously, though, the tradeoff for death being softened is that you can't be taken down to 0 HP and not die any more. Which is quite annoying when enemies cast Icy Rain for more damage than my characters' maximum HP...

i like very much this way because u can live again in the town without lose anything.

Meanwhile I think that to return in town may be very boring because in geneforge we can jump easily from an area to another using the map, but there we must go up all the areas and even if the characters walk fast.

Maybe I have missed something and there is a way to do that ?

I just imagine that the 'unconscious' characters are given emergency first aid by the survivors, and then continue as walking wounded. They are revived enough to move (and carry all their stuff) but incapable of anything more, so they hobble along and keep up, but at a safe distance. This makes me feel okay about finishing battles that take out some of my party. It was an exciting fight the time my wounded lone survivor ran back to town pursued by the shade that had been conjured by the enemy spiritist before we killed him. Much more fun than save-loading.

If you do have 'deaths', though, DON'T read any spell books! If your caster is incapacitated at the time, they won't gain the spell point; and they won't be able to get it if they come back to the same book later. So leave the book unread until you can return with everyone revived.

Oh yeah, about opening doors: in my first game, it happened to be my nephil mage who had all the tool use points. So I had no trouble at all opening any doors in the game with Unlock, even though my Tool Use was only about 12 or maybe 14. If you really like opening every door, this is the way to go. If you're worried about losing magical offense from having to divert your mage's skill points to tool use, give the mage a big extra ration of knowledge brews to compensate them for their extraordinary services to the party in busting stuff open.

Mimi, are you from Beauxbaton? Will you go with me to the Yule Ball?

Don't worry, traveling long distances becomes much easier a bit later in the game (but not in the demo).

Oh, and it is good to start a game with 7-8 Tool Use for one of your characters, and bring it up to level 15 fairly soon into the game. This way, you will be able to get past all the traps you come to and open all the doors and boxes without having to go back later.

Sacre Bleu, Mon Dieu, et Finis