Avernum V ideas

Shadow47

Quote:
Originally written by Mister Fox:
An interesting side quest could be a temporal rift or something of the like that sends the party to an alternate dimension (possibly Exile, with its minute differences from Avernum) with old-school 2D graphics.
Easter Egg would be more appropriate.

Quote:
An interesting side quest could be a temporal rift or something of the like that sends the party to an alternate dimension (possibly Exile, with its minute differences from Avernum) with old-school 2D graphics.
This would be interesting only to those, who have any idea of what Exile is. However I doubt such customers prevail nowadays.
May be you meant a temporal rift, which brings a party to some past, where some historically important event is taking place? I had such an idea after I had some doubts that 4 (Exile - 6) people can infiltrate Hawthorne's castle. That would be fun to find out that there was one more team, infiltrating that citadel, distracting attention from assassins smile

-------------------------------
Voices agree. Plus they say for me, though I know what Exile is. They say I won't be happy seeing that mixture. I personally don't think that former is admittable technically.

Quote:
Originally written by BrTarolg:
lol i would like to see a few of the E3 features back.. like just capturing order mages in soul crystals, and trying to attack the tower of magi yourself and stuff :p

it was just alot more open ended i guess.
Well, you can still attack anything in A4... it just might not be a great idea. Though it would be nice to see Capture Soul/Simulacrum re-integrated into the spell system. Of course, that would require some sort of friendly interaction with the Vahnatai, so I'm not sure it's going to happen.

I haven't read many of these posts, so if I happen to repeat something I appologize.

Four years after Rentar-Ihrno is banished, Empress Prazac is murdered by a group called 'The Loyalists'. Instead of retalliation, most of the Empire cheers, because of her dealings with Avernum. The Empire/Avernum war is again in full swing. Most of Valorim takes the side of Avernum, though.

At the same time, Rentar-Ihrno has teamed up with Avernum's worst enemy, Grah-Hoth. Monster plagues, shades, you name it it's back. They are out for blood and are holding nothing back.

With all of this going on, Is this the end of the World?

I know it's a bit over the top, but I think it sounds good! cool

JV said something to the effect of: No more Rentar. No more Erika. No more Garzahd. Granted, he didn't say anything about Grah-Hoth, but I think it's time for this plot arc to die, and for new one (like the Darkside Loyalists?) to begin.

--------------------

IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:

I will instruct my guards when checking a cell that appears empty to look for the chamber pot. If the chamber pot is still there, then the prisoner has escaped and they may enter and search for clues. If the chamber pot is not there, then either the prisoner is perched above the lintel waiting to strike them with it or else he decided to take it as a souvenir (in which case he is obviously deeply disturbed and poses no threat). Either way, there's no point in entering.

Quote:
Originally written by Arch-Mage Solberg:
Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
Personally, I would not want to play this.
What can I say...it's just a thought! cool
Then please stop thinking. laugh

As much as I acknowledge the in-game purpose of monster plagues (you've got to level up somehow, after all), I dislike them when they're not handled well. If Grah-hoth and Rentar are behind them, then they won't be handled well.

Well, since you're all talking about rentar ... Didn't she actually felt tired and sorry about all the messes she (in)directly caused. I know it's quite a long time I played this, but I know one reason for me to let her live was also, because I believed she changed her opinion about the whole thing. So wouldn't it be better that she would aid Avernum, perhaps dying a "heroic" death to save your party from the Loyalist (for seeing that they are her real enemy - which is a simple logical fact) and thus at least partially redeeming herself for what she did???? eek

I think that the game should stop the whole "the world is going to end until your heros come" thing. I wouldn't mind a smaller broken up game. First, reestablish contact with vahnatai, and establish a treaty. Second after the world unifies into a single benvolent empire, calm rebellions. Destroy the Darkside Loyalists and the newly formed Avernite Knights and Vahnatai Patriots before they start a civil war in the newly formed nation.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be so awsome. Espically for the fans of old exile. But, I understand that it wouldn't make sense to does that arn't familar about Exile.

How about customizable hotkeys in Options? F3 Quick Save is next to F4 Load Quick save. Sometimes I'd get caught up in the heat of battle and hit F3 as often as possible and hit F4 by accident and lost ground. I did a MacGyver, took a matchbox bottom, made a cut out and used duct tape as a hinge so F4 is covered and I can flip it open to hit F4. Being able to make, say F9 the quicksave load key would be cool!

Quote:
Originally written by GremlinJoe:
You know what I really miss? Being able to set items down on tables and other such place. Also, the ability to carelessly hurl fireballs around without a target in mind.

I mean, those were really great features. Man Exile 3 was a great game.

Edit: I'd also like another editor like E3's where you can go through munus of all the game items. That was the greatest. Oh I really hope Jeff puts those things back in.
I really think that Exile III had it all perfect EXCEPT maybe for graphics. Sure they were't 3d, but they got the job done. Now, call me old fashioned, but the new view at an angle, while cooler looking, makes it a lot harder to navigate via keyboard. Lots more clicking/carpal tunnel.

What I'd REALLY like to see in Avernum V would be maybe a way to rotate the view or even an option to disable the 3d and go back to the 2d version ala the Exile series.

The MAIN thing I would love to see is a bigger prefence panel! Options for turning off the tutorial. Options for anything I might want to tinker with. The older games did this wonderfully.

The best thing about the Exile/Avernum series is the story line. Lots of fun to see it unravel. I'm working on Avernum IV for the first time through after playing all 3 Exile games and Avernum.

And I guess finally, another thing I'd like to see in Avernum V is a more intuitive interface. The Exile games I could pick up, navigate around, do whatever pretty much immediately. Avernum IV had me scratching my head every now and then when I first started playing.

But all and all I'll be happy with it as long as it has one of those great storylines that we've come to expect.

Quote:
I really think that Exile III had it all perfect EXCEPT maybe for graphics.
Orly? I found the combat system very annoying. When you encountered a foe, you always had to start combat and when you do that, you can't decide where your characters are placed and your fragile mages get easily hit.

Also enemy wizards were fast, resilient and goddamn powerful. Why is a mage the most resilient person in empire war group? mages are fragile nerds!

no i think exile 3 WAS perfect.

it was much harder though, no doubt, but it definately was perfect.

i mean, the super mages really made it tough to play

and if you dont have the right setup in your party, then thats most likely your fault - you shoulda gone into fighting mode, casted debuffs/buffs and tanked properly in the first place :p

see thats what i mean - exile is just so much more indepth - the battles are much more than "hack n slash" - each battle you have to think through carefully and plan it right.

How about NPC's that talk instead of you reading their comments?

I guess your responses would still be numeric choices of reply.

Also the remarks they make before you click on them could be audible as well.

I realize this would increase production costs but I'd be willing to pay more for features like that.

I'm going to buy A5 regardless. I have truly enjoyed A4. The price is right also. Plenty of bang for your buck!

Half the cost of ES4 without having to do major upgrades to run it.

Hmmm. Maybe this suggestion isn't so good after all.

Quote:
Originally written by Micro Phage:
I realize this would increase production costs but I'd be willing to pay more for features like that.
It's not production costs that stop JV from including sound files as dowlnoad size. He can deal with production costs, sounds don't cost much. Many of his fans can't deal with dowload times greater than A3's, much less A4's.

Abominable voice acting is a very bad thing and it's unfortunately very easy to get it stuck into a game. Not paying more for questioable added content sounds good to me.

—Alorael, who is not that fond of voices anyway, and who turns them off if given the choice. What he'd really like is a truly stunning soundtrack for Avernum. By Vivaldi. Collaborating with Mozart. And a thirty-seven fingered pianist.

Good point. I have 3mb cable and I tend to forget (till broadband goes down and I have to use backup dialup ISP). Broadband isn't readily available in way too many areas and fanbase is worldwide.

Very good point.

Perhaps A5 could stay in the 20mb range and the talking sound package and cost could be an optional upgrade with second download and additional cost. With a discount when purchased together (as with the Hint Book) and could be on cd (a few days snailmail) as well as downloadable.

And could be toggled on and off in Options?

(Heh... did I use the "and" word enough?)

Now some of you are going to want to lynch me for this, but... what about music? It'd have to be optional, and he'd have to get it from some kind artist, or a company that sells collections of music, but it'd give something to help add to the mood instead of ambient noise. (Which works fine, by the way. This is just something that came to mind.)

Quote:
Originally written by Silverking:
Someone already brought up music, in the General forum, but it has been mentioned. The response was it would take to much money. So listen to your own music.
The response was that it also would make too much size for download with dial-up. Though .mid format doesn't take that much space.

P.S. I failed to find a link to that thread.

I would really love it if maybe walls could be see-through if there's a character or monster behind it. So many times I've tried ending combat or thinking I was safe because some tiny monster was hidden behind a pillar or a wall.

Also, sometimes clicking on an adjacent sq can be difficult with the angles & placement of other characters.

Quote:
Originally written by adndgamer:
I would really love it if maybe walls could be see-through if there's a character or monster behind it. So many times I've tried ending combat or thinking I was safe because some tiny monster was hidden behind a pillar or a wall.
I've found that the tab button comes in mighty handy during that situation. winkcool

Starman, that joke can only be done so many times before it gets old.

Originally by Micro Phage:

Quote:
PS Is using readily available, published, built in codes, tech, skill, really 'cheating'?
Yes, but how you use it depends on whether you should feel guilty or not. "showmeall" is harmless enough but something like "dbugkill" would be less so.

Dikiyoba.

Starman, you've slipped over the line from funny to spammy. Stop posting all your base jokes everywhere where they are in no way relevant.

This is an official and officious warning.

—Alorael, who wonders if totalitarian rule got more complicacted with the addition of an active Jeff.

Quote:
Quoting adndgamer:
Many times the enemy is behind a wall with openings for archers, which allows you to hit them as well. Or they are hiding from you or to ambush you. And a good defense an enemy can use is a tight spot, well defended by environment, to make it hard for you to attack due to party's varied skills, weapons, spells, visability and range.

The "cheat" (SHIFT d) showmeall (ENTER) is guiltless (for me) since this is a sword and sorcery fantasy adventure game and any or all of your Adventurer Party has Mage, Priest, Warrior skills which imply detecting enemies out of sight or at a distance (techno or mystical).

The sci-fi touch in G3 (genetic manipulation) and the Empire in A4 with Matter Transporter tech, tools and such, is really slick. "Cheats" like *showmeall* and *backtostart* are indispensable tools (to me). And *dbugkill* doesn't seem to apply to A4 but could be handy in A5 for replays. (As in speeding up new games if you wanted to clean up quests and errors from earlier games.)

It was me who originally posted the sound/music idea for AV4 and beyond. I don't really get some of these point of views, although I respect the process it must have taken thier minds to come to this conclusion, unless they can't explain thier rationale.

I think the original topic was about AV5 ideas, so to be true to the spirit of the thread...

To the ones who post about how Avernum series is not fantasy, or is a unique fantasy with no ties to fantasy, I have to say you are full of it.

Wands? Swords? Armor? Magic? Come on, these are all classic fantasy ideas, so please jump off the high horse and don't attack people just because they like an idea from some other fantasy set.

Until you have been married for at least 15 years, then I don't think you could really understand the need for variety (joke for the mature).

I don't like continued plots and arcs unless there is a REALLY good reason too. It really cheapens the whole experience when Mr. X who you killed many times before keeps coming back from the dead and you have to fight Mr. X again and again.

I prefer new horizons, after all, lest you forget, the definition of what adventure is - an undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks; an exciting or remarkable experience.

Its not really an adventure if you know what to expect around every corner, and every character is identical to all the previous. Its becomes repeated boredom. Thats, IMHO, is the single most destructive element to any RPG. Anything that makes you feel like you are exploring the unkown is what is needed for any adventure based plot to succeed. In AV4 I guessed the bad guy really early in the game.

In AV5 (if it's made) I would like to see a complete departure from all old characters and plot ideas. I would love to see more playable races, and new enemies with unique racial abilities, and a clearly thought out leveling system. You have to add feats and skills that actually do something, not just add a percent to do more damage. Am I role playing my character in the world of Avernum? Or, am I roleplaying your book, with just some repetitive tasks to fill time and prolong an obvious plot, so the story doesn't end too soon.

*ducks* knowing intense insulting of intelligence to follow .

I didn't want to make my last post too large so I decided to include ideas for AV5 in this post, in no particular order.

Move far enough forward in time or to a new area in Avernum for all old plots to die a complete death.

Create magic system that has elements to it that can be countered or nullified by another element. Same with the divine based magic. Each type of magic should have an opposite and equal force that balances it. If someone can cast magical damage at me, I should be able to shield myself/others from it, reflect it, absorb it, etc...

Each magical spell/ability should be learnable by the playing characters. No magic should be out of the range of understanding of a magic user of same type or class. (for ex. crystal worms using mind control that you (as a mind control expert) have no way to learn or defend agasint, this shouldn't be in an rpg game).

There should be different types of damage for melee, peircing, slashing, crushing, etc... Monsters should have weaknesses that allow a balanced team to depend on one character or another, and armor should have different degrees of protection for different types of damage. (for ex. Leather does not defend well against crushing damage, but plate does).

Weapons and items should be clearly thought out for character advancement path. If I choose to make a character an expert at Bows, but there is a very poor selection of bows, doesn't that ruin that entire character path? Having so many useless items in a game doesn't make sense, the player will never use it or pick it up, so why waste time with it? Its better to hide useless items then to make a player pick throuh mounds of item trash to find what they want.

Allowing people to make super generalized characters that can end up being completely useless should be avoided with an advancement system that is smart enough to understand what type of character your creating. Feats and skill advancement should be rewarded with more advanced feats and skills being tied to your previous choices. Example - I am a thief/archer, I have advanced flethching skill, I should now be able to choose the ability to poison my arrows (since I am an expert at making them). Abilities should be more than just a percentage of a chance to poison a person with arrows, they are abilities and should always be on and whether they work or not should be determined by the monsters weaknesses and strenghts.

Thieves should have some kind of stealth variable, just becuase one of my party can be seen shouldn't automatically make my crime seen. If my thief is an expert at stealth and hiding, the thief should be able to hide and steal something out of sight regardless of other pary memebers visibility. Also, they should be able to sneak up on people in combat.

There should be the ability to use either keyboard or mouse without having to switch back and forth, or to use both (one hand on the keyboard, and one on the mouse). In other words, ergonmics should be considered when designing the interface.

Pack animals! Why can almost every Avernite own beasts of burden but your own characters can't, or allowing characters to have storage areas (or purchase them).

Item crafting! If other Avernites can make wands out of sticks, or potions out of herbs, then why can't one of your characters specialize in that too? I say this within reason, creating kites from string, wood, and cloth is not relevant to the spirit of the RPG or plot, so item creation with a purpose is all I am saying.

Music? I know, it was said its too expensive, or the nice reply of "Use headphones and listen to your own crap" is not a constructive answer. There are plenty of freeware, royalty free music and songs, really... Do you know how to use a search engine?

Sounds could be enhanced, after all, if your not going to go for the "WOW!" factor with graphics maybe you could do it with sound immersion. Hearing the same creature screech and continous dripping looped over and over and over again really destroys any type of immersion your imagination can muster. There are plenty of royalty free sounds, and sounds that have no copy rights, so saying that its a price issue doesn't make sense.

Thats all I can say for now, I got more but I have to get something to eat, lol.

Quote:
Music? I know, it was said its too expensive, or the nice reply of "Use headphones and listen to your own crap" is not a constructive answer. There are plenty of freeware, royalty free music and songs, really... Do you know how to use a search engine?
Don't be so demeaning or you will find yourself gone quickly. The other issue is download time. Music files tend to be large and the fanbase tends to have internet connections that are slow.

Aaron, most of your suggestions are really valid (except the sounds and music ones), but most of them are just not going to happen.

-Ergonomic design? Jeff has enough to worry about when it comes to making the game playable, so I don't see why he'd worry about lazy people who can't be bothered to use both he keyboard and mouse.

-Pack animals? They're called "a character maxed out on strength". And besides, how long would a mule last against a drake?

-Stealth has become more of a factor lately, particularly when sneaking through fields of pylons. The rest could probably be addressed with a check for Nimble Fingers. So that could work, if Jeff chooses to put it in A5.

-Item crafting... mabe not. People would just cheat to give themselves a large Item Crafting stat, just like they did for Potion Making (honestly, how many people trained it all the way up to 17 w/o the character editor?).

-An advancement system that's smarter than the player? No. It takes the fun out of designing a character when the game does it all for you.

-Items tailored to advancement paths... no. Way too much work for Jeff, and too mundane for us. The scattering of "useless" items around the game world reminds the party that they're not the only living people/slith/nephils in the world. And besides, some people might really like that stone short sword.

-Melee damage changes... perhaps. I get the feeling that Jeff has been working on that, given the general combat-heavy feel of A4. It might happen.

-PCs able to learn every ability/spell? Okay, fine... just not all at once. For instance, the demon-summoning spell that Nociduas uses... that shouldn't be accessible for a long, long time. It's a big issue for game balance, though, so this idea could be trouble.

-New magic system? Maybe, but not that one. Something more like the excess of spells found in Exile would be better. Your system would be really frustrating to anyone who chose to specialize in one type of magic, as soon as they run into that one monster who can't be hit by it.

Quote:
Originally written by Aaron:
[Move far enough forward in time or to a new area in Avernum for all old plots to die a complete death.

Create magic system that has elements to it that can be countered or nullified by another element. Same with the divine based magic. Each type of magic should have an opposite and equal force that balances it. If someone can cast magical damage at me, I should be able to shield myself/others from it, reflect it, absorb it, etc...

Each magical spell/ability should be learnable by the playing characters. No magic should be out of the range of understanding of a magic user of same type or class. (for ex. crystal worms using mind control that you (as a mind control expert) have no way to learn or defend agasint, this shouldn't be in an rpg game).

There should be different types of damage for melee, peircing, slashing, crushing, etc... Monsters should have weaknesses that allow a balanced team to depend on one character or another, and armor should have different degrees of protection for different types of damage. (for ex. Leather does not defend well against crushing damage, but plate does).

Weapons and items should be clearly thought out for character advancement path. If I choose to make a character an expert at Bows, but there is a very poor selection of bows, doesn't that ruin that entire character path? Having so many useless items in a game doesn't make sense, the player will never use it or pick it up, so why waste time with it? Its better to hide useless items then to make a player pick throuh mounds of item trash to find what they want.

Allowing people to make super generalized characters that can end up being completely useless should be avoided with an advancement system that is smart enough to understand what type of character your creating. Feats and skill advancement should be rewarded with more advanced feats and skills being tied to your previous choices. Example - I am a thief/archer, I have advanced flethching skill, I should now be able to choose the ability to poison my arrows (since I am an expert at making them). Abilities should be more than just a percentage of a chance to poison a person with arrows, they are abilities and should always be on and whether they work or not should be determined by the monsters weaknesses and strenghts.

Thieves should have some kind of stealth variable, just becuase one of my party can be seen shouldn't automatically make my crime seen. If my thief is an expert at stealth and hiding, the thief should be able to hide and steal something out of sight regardless of other pary memebers visibility. Also, they should be able to sneak up on people in combat.

Pack animals! Why can almost every Avernite own beasts of burden but your own characters can't, or allowing characters to have storage areas (or purchase them).

Item crafting! If other Avernites can make wands out of sticks, or potions out of herbs, then why can't one of your characters specialize in that too? I say this within reason, creating kites from string, wood, and cloth is not relevant to the spirit of the RPG or plot, so item creation with a purpose is all I am saying.QB]
No. Jeff moved pretty far into the future with A4. If you mean no old enemies, than sure, but abondoning all his old characters? I like talking to people who knew my old characters. I especially like talking to Tor.

A magic system like that is a bit to traditonal. I like Jeff's system better because there are only two categories.

Learning spells can take years and years. Especially splells like Mind Control or Create Portal. I think it's already unrealistic that we can just buy spells from a mage and have mastered them in seconds.

The damage idea would have Jeff completly redesigning his weapons and armor system. Not saying I wouldn't like it, but it would add to download time.

If you choose to make an expert at bows then your a fool. Long distance attacks, not counting magic, are not meant to be used as a main attack. Swords and pole weapons are the kind used to attack. Bows and javelins are used for when you can't reach them.

First there isn't likely going to be arrows in this game either. Second if there was you wouldn't be able to make them. Third the system you described for poison is already used.

Hey, guess what! There is a way, close the doors so no one can see you!

Pack animals, never going to happen. Item storage areas, already here. You can dump your junk wherever you want.

Item crafting. That's a possibility. Sadly Jeff took potion making out of A4 though, it might come back.

Quote:
Originally written by Aaron:
Move far enough forward in time or to a new area in Avernum for all old plots to die a complete death.
I like the continuity provided by keeping the same setting and some of the same characters. (Of course, keeping the same plot and villain is not what I mean here)

Quote:
There are already various types of magic, that you can have resistence to in varying degrees. I'm not convinced that shoehorning everything into opposite pairs of elements is a good thing.

Quote:
Each magical spell/ability should be learnable by the playing characters. No magic should be out of the range of understanding of a magic user of same type or class.
Why? It's already unrealistic enough that an NPC mage can spend a lifetime researching some magic, and then a bunch of adventurers can pick it up in five minutes by skimming through a dusty tome in a monster-infested dungeon.

Quote:
(for ex. crystal worms using mind control that you (as a mind control expert) have no way to learn or defend agasint, this shouldn't be in an rpg game).
"shoudn't be in an rpg" is a pretty strong claim. Care to justify it? I don't see why a human has to be capable of doing anything that every other species can do. Anyhow, in A4 you can defend against that sort of thing.

Quote:
There should be different types of damage for melee, peircing, slashing, crushing, etc... Monsters should have weaknesses that allow a balanced team to depend on one character or another
It's already the case that monsters have weaknesses that allow a balanced team to depened on one character or another. Sometimes magic works best, sometimes melee, and sometimes missiles. It seems to me that adding in a load of different melee types like that just means that fighters have to carry round a bunch of assorted weapons, or you get situations where you don't have a character that specialises in the spiked morningstars that are monster X's only vulnerability.

Quote:
Weapons and items should be clearly thought out for character advancement path. If I choose to make a character an expert at Bows, but there is a very poor selection of bows, doesn't that ruin that entire character path?
There are plenty of bows in A4.
Quote:
Having so many useless items in a game doesn't make sense, the player will never use it or pick it up, so why waste time with it? Its better to hide useless items then to make a player pick throuh mounds of item trash to find what they want.
I think useless items can add to the flavour. If you walk into someone's home, you're going to find clothes and plates, not platemail and demon-slaying scimiters. And unless you're obsessive-compulsive, you can just ignore them (or at most quickly mouseover in the pickup screen to see what they cost).

Quote:
Allowing people to make super generalized characters that can end up being completely useless should be avoided with an advancement system that is smart enough to understand what type of character your creating.
Allowing people to make jacks-of-all-trades doesn't seem to me to be a problem, unless they are similar in power to specialists until it's too late to specialise, then become useless. If it's a bad idea to make thief-archer-fighter-mage-priest, you'll find out pretty quickly that you don't have enough skill points to go round, and specialise. And it doesn't need a psychic advancement system.

Quote:
As if stealing stuff wasn't already easy and munchkinny enough...

Quote:
There should be the ability to use either keyboard or mouse without having to switch back and forth, or to use both (one hand on the keyboard, and one on the mouse). In other words, ergonmics should be considered when designing the interface.
At last, something I agree with.

Quote:
You can have storage areas in A4. Just put down some items somewhere and call it a storage area.

Quote:
Item crafting! If other Avernites can make wands out of sticks, or potions out of herbs, then why can't one of your characters specialize in that too?
Exile had alchemy. It was pretty useless. And I want to go out adventuring, not sit around at home making stuff.

Quote:
Music?... Do you know how to use a search engine?
Yes.
(second result, google helpfully provides the relevant excerpt

Yet another thought about Options menu in A5:

How about brightness/contrast adjustability that effects game only.

I've seen this feature before but can't remember where, or what they called it.

I realize Avernum is an underground civilization and many areas are pretty dark, but I usually keep my monitor set so it's not glaring in my face and pushing the hardware.

However, since becoming totally addicted to A4 I've changed my monitor settings to improve visability and just let everything else I do on that machine be kinda bright. It spends most of it's time (and mine) in Avernum anyhow.

Can brightness, "light level", whatever, be adjustable in options menu in A5 ?