How did A4 do?

crpgnut

I just perused a few pages of topics, but it seems like Jeff's fanbase is getting very tired of the same old same old. Old graphics, same stories, same characters, same skills, same lands, etc. I admit that I never bothered with A4 even though I'm a longtime Spiderweb fan. Until I see something totally new, I'm avoiding Spiderweb games.

How did Avernum 4 do? Did it sell well for Jeff?

I really hope it bombed. Not to harm Jeff, but to wake him up and show him that his stuff is getting really stale. If he can't afford to buy/make new graphics and sound, and if his writer's block is so bad he can't think of anything new, it might be time to just hang it up.

Does anyone really want a Avernum 5 or Geneforge 4? If so, seek some counseling.

I believe Jeff said somewhere that Avernum 4 sold really well.

And I'm actually looking forward to Geneforge 4. Jeff made it sound like it would be different enough from the other three Geneforges to make me mildly excited.

That said, Dikiyoba would like to see a new series sometime soon as well. Oh, and the Nethergate update. If the Nethergate update comes out after G4, that would be wonderful.

Quote:
Originally written by crpgnut:
Until I see something totally new, I'm avoiding Spiderweb games.
So... your point?

Quote:
How did Avernum 4 do? Did it sell well for Jeff?
I really hope it bombed. Not to harm Jeff, but to wake him up and show him that his stuff is getting really stale. If he can't afford to buy/make new graphics and sound, and if his writer's block is so bad he can't think of anything new, it might be time to just hang it up.
Do you realize that if Jeff ever makes a truly horrible bomb, the company stands a chance of collapsing?

Quote:
Does anyone really want a Avernum 5 or Geneforge 4? If so, seek some counseling.
Or, maybe you're just bitter. Jeff has taken our criticisms of A4 to heart, and in the event of A5, he'll fix as many issues as possible. And now that A4 has tied up the loose, bad, threads of plot that dangled so menacingly from A3, he can continue on to something new. Graphics will slowly improve, and sound has never really been that integral to Spiderweb games.

Quote:
From St. Louis
I'm embarassed. I hope I never run into you.

@Ephesos

The point should be obvious. I'm not paying for leftovers. Jeff's games have become leftovers. I loved the earlier games but he keeps making the same thing over and over again. I want a new dish.

Stay away from Busch stadium! You might see me :-)

If you love Jeff's retreads, you might like a series of books by L.E. Modesitt Jr. It's called Saga of Recluce and almost every book is exactly the same. Give 'em a go.

I would like to put my two cents in, if you don't mind.

I love every game Jeff has made. Sure they have points of haziness, but they are all great games. You don't like these graphics that the Avernum's had, you should see the old, old Exile graphics when the games were just coming out. And sound quality, forget it! But the point I'm trying to make is even though things weren't great, the games were still and always will be awsome. winkcool

I'm not a huge fan of A4 either, but it did indeed sell, in Jeff's words, "like hotcakes."

Incidentally, the Geneforge series apparently doesn't sell nearly as well as the Avernum series. This came as something of a surprise to me. In fact, Jeff wrote a whole article on how he often avoids trying new things because every time he tries something new he loses sales.

Quote:
Originally written by crpgnut:
If you love Jeff's retreads, you might like a series of books by L.E. Modesitt Jr. It's called Saga of Recluce and almost every book is exactly the same. Give 'em a go.
I disagree.

L. E. Modesitt Jr. started out at the foot of the mountain of good writing. With a shovel. And hit himself over the head a few times along the course of the series (that does, in fact, progress) for good measure.

Jeff Vogel started out about 2/3 up the mountain, had his ups and downs but hasn't progressed in his serii(?) much.

Radix, I like the Saga of Recluse. It is basically the same story told over and over. I agree that the author tells his story very well though.

I'd love to see Jeff make something with someone else's engine. I've said this before, but I'd love to see Jeff work with Josh Ritter. Jeff loves EQ and Minions of Mirth is a EQ-like game made with the Torque engine.

Quote:
Weird... why does Avernum sell SOOOO much better than Geneforge? Why do you ythink?
Probably because you don't die as easily in Avernum as in Geneforge. It took me a few hours to think through Geneforge so my agent didn't die so quickly. Avernum is more forgiving of mistakes even on torment. Hitting the wrong key isn't time to reload.

Also there was some carry over from older Exile players.

"I really hope it bombed."

Avernum 4 has been a huge success for us. And it just earned us, after 11 years of trying, our first 4 mouse review in MacWorld. We're pretty proud of that.

I think it's pretty weird that, because I wrote a game you don't personally care for (if you, in fact, tried it), you would wish bankruptcy on me and my family. But I suppose online anonymous forums bring that sort of behavior out.

Anyway, question asked, question answered. Topic done.

- Jeff Vogel