New Playable Race?

Creatures like dragons, demons, undead, and especially aranea would offer a fairly limited plot. All of these creatures are feared or disliked to some degree by the townspeople, so you would have to play on the side of trying to destroy Exile.

Wolf and fox-like humanoids are redundant to the two already playable humanoids.

Vahnatai - Honestly, I'd much rather see Jeff take the plot in a different direction. Vahnatai are done as demons, IMO.

GIFTS - The thought makes me insane.

Swamp Folk?

If Jeff introduces more races, which strikes me as unnecessary, he should not create new races from whole cloth. He's got a world and more races that already exist could be used if they have to be. That's goblins, troglodytes, vahnatai, and yes, GIFTS.

—Alorael, whose list is not exhaustive.

Swamp folk have only appeared in A Small Rebellion, seem to be incapable of communication with other species, and have a degree of magical skill. I'm not sure, but they might technically be of the creature type Plant.

That said, they got my vote. Everything else was useless. And if we allow undead or demons as races, we might as well get the name changed to World of Ermarian. (play on World of Warcraft, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about)

(And we get it, you like foxes and wolves...)

That, and townspeople would just start running from you after a while. Dialogue would be cut short by NPCs slinking away... I can see it now:

PC: "Hi, you're cute!"

X: "Erm... I must go find an anvil."

PC: "Hi, I'm Spider!"

King Micah: "Uh... that's nice. Spider, these are my guards."

PC: "Hi, wanna be my mate?"

Garzahd: "I would, but I must be going. Demons to summon, wars to wage... you know, that sort of thing. You're very cute, though."

Plus you'd have to disable the Change Name option.

Seriously, if horribly, Jeff has the technology (from Geneforge 3) to incorporate NPC longtime companions who participate in dialogs. So you could have the option of picking up a GIFT, presumably be finally saying Yes to one that wants you for a mate.

I wouldn't really want new races. The Vahnatai would certainly be interesting to play, but they really don't belong as a player race, since they're so overpowered, and because they are so removed from the day to day lives of humans, which the games mostly sympathise with.

Spiders would be interesting as well, but again they obviously don't belong as a player race. This one would be interesting, though, for the fact that they would of course be unable to use weapons or armour. I'd enjoy playing some sort of fighter that has to rely solely on their physical attributes rather than their equipment. However, you'd have to either play out of character, which would make no sense, or the dialogue tree would become really annoying and stupid.

And since I'm not into zoophilia, I don't want to see more yiffy races. Sure, it's fine and even interesting having beast races in the game, but I really don't want to see the entire racial selection list filled up with furry lovetoys, and then "Oh yeah, and you can play a human. If you must.".

Playing out of character is already an issue. If you party is all sliths or all nephils, there are frequent situations where the dialog makes no sense and you just have to pretend you're humans. There are workarounds, as (exhaustively) demonstrated in Kel's scenario Bahssikava, but I'm not sure the effort would be worth it, for a full-sized game that focuses on humans.

Troglos, I think, could actually work; they can communicate with humans, they are the same size, have similar bodily needs, and are of comparable capabilities. But they wouldn't add anything to the game, and it would be odd.

Well, I already thought that those two races didn't belong in the straight Avernum games. Blades, perhaps, because who knows what situations the designer will put the player in. But not Avernum.

Still, they're there, and I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth to take them out, since they're an established fact of the series now. I'd just prefer not to compound the problem even further by adding to it.

I couldn't vote in this poll, because it's missing the "none of the above" option.

Quote:
Originally written by Noddy:

Well, I already thought that those two races didn't belong in the straight Avernum games. Blades, perhaps, because who knows what situations the designer will put the player in. But not Avernum.

Still, they're there, and I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth to take them out, since they're an established fact of the series now. I'd just prefer not to compound the problem even further by adding to it.

Nephils, Sliths, and Vahnatai are one of the major things that distinguishes Exile/Avernum universe from generic RPGs where you wade through hordes of goblins/orcs with the help of elves and halflings. If we start removing races from games just because some people have dirty minds, we'd pretty soon end up with games containing only stick-figure drawings of generic humans.

Quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:
Nephils, Sliths, and Vahnatai are one of the major things that distinguishes Exile/Avernum universe from generic RPGs where you wade through hordes of goblins/orcs with the help of elves and halflings. If we start removing races from games just because some people have dirty minds, we'd pretty soon end up with games containing only stick-figure drawings of generic humans.
Like I said, they shouldn't be removed. I don't think they should have been made playable, but they're there now, and that's that.

Although my reasons for removing them weren't because of filthy furries, but because they didn't really fit in as well as a playable race should into Avernum society. A lot more people should have hated them than actually did, considering how long they had been (from the Avernites perspective) murdering and raiding humans.

Anyway, what's wrong with stick figure drawings of generic humans ?

The most underdeveloped race in nearly all RPGs and CRPGs are humans. I'd prefer new cultural groups and such rather than new races.

I wonder how a goblin PC would work? For a change of pace, how about an experience bonus and lots of disadvantages?

--------------------

IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:

I will create an Avernum game with the fully mapped out possibility of evil PCs. No more of this namby-pamby 'I'm going to pilfer this from you as I go about altruistically saving the world' stuff.

Originally by Dintiradan:

Quote:
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:

I will create an Avernum game with the fully mapped out possibility of evil PCs. No more of this namby-pamby 'I'm going to pilfer this from you as I go about altruistically saving the world' stuff.

Surely you don't have to wait until you are an Evil Overlord to do that? Or will that scenario's release be the signal that you are ready and that your most competent and evil agents should go out and put Plan O into action?

(Notice how brilliant Plan O is. It is not painfully obvious like The Top Secret Plan For Taking Over The World nor is it something ridiculously complex like Plan 684.3251, Section 4, Clause C. Furthermore, it is far enough along in the alphabet that it is not likely to be confused with any of the hero's plans, like Plan A or Plan B or Plan C would.)

-----

Dikiyoba likes having nephilim and slithzerakai be playable species. It adds a roleplaying perspective (purely in Dikiyoba's mind, though) that would be missed in a party of only humans. But Dikiyoba is quite satisfied with only three playable species.

Demon's would be interesting to play.

I've always wondered what things would be like from a demon's point of view rather than "Look human's DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

As for goblins they are mainly to weak to become adventures. They would probably be killed by another tribe mate anyway.

By Dikiyoba:

Quote:
(Notice how brilliant Plan O is. It is not painfully obvious like The Top Secret Plan For Taking Over The World nor is it something ridiculously complex like Plan 684.3251, Section 4, Clause C. Furthermore, it is far enough along in the alphabet that it is not likely to be confused with any of the hero's plans, like Plan A or Plan B or Plan C would.)
Don't be so sure.

--------------------

Haley: Think of it as 'Plan B'.

Belkar: 'B'? Didn't we go through this already? We're on like Plan Q.

Haley: Shhh! I'm getting an idea.

Belkar: And so, Plan R begins to take form.

Belkar: So. Plan S, then?

- OotS

Quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:
Maybe Jeff will make an Avernum from the Vahnatai perspective where you play as the Vahnatai rather than the original three races. I know that he swore he would never allow Vahnatai PCs but remember, he also swore he would never make a 4th Avernum...
Yes and let's not forget that JV also swore that the short lived sellout cereal "Exile-Os" would stay crunchy in milk.

-Kardas, whose sweetened corn and oat adventurers got soggy frown

Quote:
I know that he swore he would never allow Vahnatai PCs but remember, he also swore he would never make a 4th Avernum...
I thought it was Exile IV that he said he would not make, although I could have missed the Avernum extension to that statement. At any rate, I highly doubt he will go that route any time soon.