Avernum 5 Early, Early Notes

Spidweb

Quote:
Originally written by Alorael:
Just a minor point, but what exactly is an "epic" battle?
I think that's why I brought up unique enemies. Since I cheat, the only way I can distinguish battles from one another is by who I'm fighting. An epic battle for me is not one against a powerful monster, but one against an actual character, even something as simple as a name will do. The better I know them, the more of a pleasure it is to destroy them. That's epic for me.

As much as I dislike agreeing with Lego, well... I kind of do. There were enough seemingly-random monsters in A4 that I found myself wanting to know what their stories were... like the jewel-encrusted spiders and the ice demon near the Tower of Magi (not the one under Patrick's Tower).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like their stories. :p

I actually liked having unexplained enemies. A few of them seemed like they needed slightly more justification than they got, but Avernum should be a place full of inexplicable creatures, and not all of them should eventually get any explication.

—Alorael, who thinks that works better with animals and shades and such than with humanoids and demons. Anything with intelligence and an obvious ability to communicate should do so enough to make their existence intelligible.

Actually, that article has been brought up not once but twice .

[Edit: Tags need to be properly] formatted

—Alorael, who didn't get the sense that Jeff will be changing anything in A5. He just thinks that Jeff wouldn't necessarily want to play A5 if it were made by someone else. On the other hand, he has also enjoyed the Spiderweb stat setup and doesn't have any objections to killing more goblins/bandits/nephilim/sliths/plagues/vahnatai to gain more levels to be more awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by Dr. Strange:
Now, now newbishness will only go so far as a bad English excuse. If your native language isn't English, then you're in the clear. Same with Dyslexia. You might try faking those.

The houses were excellent. The Sims 2 Expansion: The JV Chronicles.
Exactly who are you addressing? I understood all the posts made in this thread recently. Okay, having perfect spelling and grammar is nice, but don't jump anybody not dotting i's and crossing t's properly, please!

In fact, Nalyd, I think when you are about to post, you should look at what you just typed, and if it's nothing more than saying "Write in perfect English or die", then you probably shouldn't post it.

Right. I don't want to see any more crafting in Avernum. I hate it in GF, mainly because I think I'm missing out on something...

Also, bring back houses! I loved this in E/A3, although given the setting for A5 it may be difficult...

And I must be the only person who couldn't care about alchemy. All I ever use are energy elixirs anyway, and I don't care whether or not I make them or buy them.

I like the Avernum 4 alchemy system. After all, why should your adventureres be able to do everything on their own? Sages are already going out of business now that items identify themselves, lets not screw over the alchemists too.

Quote:
Originally written by Nikki:

I hate it in GF, mainly because I think I'm missing out on something...

Are you a secret doors advocate? Because those make me feel like I'm missing out on something. At least you can always cheat and find recipes in the hintbook or on these boards.

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
Originally by Nikki:

Quote:
And I must be the only person who couldn't care about alchemy. All I ever use are energy elixirs anyway, and I don't care whether or not I make them or buy them.
Same here. All Dikiyoba ever used the skill for was for an occasional graymold salve.
Same here, and I find it ironic that Dikiyoba agrees, given her alchemocentric role in the scripts.

Actually, I do love hidden doors. I'm replaying Nethergate at the moment, and still finding new things (Well, actually one new thing. :p ). I think losing them was one of Jeff's biggest mistakes.

The crafting thing just seems, a bit pointless. In fairness it's a bit like Tully's argument about alchemy. It's a bit daft to expect that from a list of four things a totally inexperienced NPC could make a shiny belt or something. I mean, could you make me a rocking chair if I said you needed wood, nails, a hammer and a saw?

Usually the instructions are a bit more detailed than that. Artifact instructions tend to say things like 'prepare this ingredient by grinding it up andmixing it with this one, then apply it to the final one.' I think they make sense, and they're fun, too. If you'd prefer it were like the other Geneforeges and you'd have to take the items to and expert, I'd be fine with that, too.

But nothing is fun about secret doors. I don't understand why you say you don't like missing things when it comes to crafting but you're fine with secret doors, at least one of which you haven't found until just now. Imagine all the other things you may have missed, and may never find.

I see your point. And so it can't totally be about missing things, because then you'd be right.

I don't know.

Maybe it's 'cus secret doors were a part of the games when I started playing? And usually they make lots of sense, like the faery in the Hollow Hills in Nethergate, who wants privacy.

The recipes just seem, I don't know. Like the were tacked on...

And for somebody who is supposedly good with words, I'm having difficulty explaining this. Maybe I just don't like them, and don't have a good reason? Let me get back to ya. :p

Oh, and upon mars should be uncanned for the above post. Just because he actually amde me giggle :p