What do you think of A4

Quote:
Originally written by Green Apple:
Melee attacks just send a message that you can't talk in combat mode.
To use a melee attack on a friendly or neutral target, you need to click the Attack button once you're in combat mode. It's the one with the sword on it, immediately to the left of the Quick Spell slots.

Thuryl said: "I don't much like the other new monsters-built-around-graphics either, but the eyebeasts have been there since Exile/Avernum 1."

No no, what I was trying to mean [sorry the english, i'm a little out of practice, since i'm a portuguese speaker...] is that the Gazer/eyebeast/beholder graphic extracted of Geneforge and placed in A4 amused me. And it was the only one cause is the "same look" creature in both worlds. Hehehe, and this graphic is pretty much scary, so i feel a little fear when i see one in the screen, even the fight isn't truly hard, hehehe. Creepy!

I remember when the eyebeast graphic was a pink multi-eyed grossing mass - not much like a beholder, i always thought that it was another species. But in A4 the gazer/beholder graphic is called eyebeast too, if i'm correct.

Really, I don't want see Geneforge creatures graphics used to be Avernum creatures. The scenarios are good, the people, well, okay; but the monsters, those who i've grow fearing and dreaming about are too important in my point of view to be mess up [poetic time, LOL]. Let's begging a few more terrific monsters graphics like the new demons, and the wolves, and the Vahnnnies!

Hugzzzzz,

Klintor.

Back to the original question, re the difficulty level, I may have to change my answer to definitely harder than previous Avernums.

I'm now about halfway through all the pylons in the tunnels west of Fort Remote to Rhentar's 1st(?) hideout. I've read that there is a way to sneak around these if you're careful, but whether this or trying to take them out one grouping at a time (and returning to the fort to recover mana), I don't recall anything this difficult in prior games. Perhaps I am at too low a level (21 or so) to do this part.

I don't remember exactly, but that sounds like a reasonable level for getting through. If you're sneaking, you don't have to attack a single pylon (or get zapped by a single one, for that matter). You will have to go slowly and back up whenever you get within pylon range and combat mode starts. It takes some trial and error and it's frustrating, but it can be done.

—Alorael, who preferred the pink blob eyeball monsters. He thought they were more unique and creepy in a kind of adorably pink and amorphous way.

Quote:
Originally written by Dropkick Culture:
I don't remember exactly, but that sounds like a reasonable level for getting through. If you're sneaking, you don't have to attack a single pylon (or get zapped by a single one, for that matter). You will have to go slowly and back up whenever you get within pylon range and combat mode starts. It takes some trial and error and it's frustrating, but it can be done.

—Alorael, who preferred the pink blob eyeball monsters. He thought they were more unique and creepy in a kind of adorably pink and amorphous way.
Uhhhm. Thought I was replying to 'One Green Gauntlet'. Anyhways, other gauntlet tossed or Dropkick dropped, can you give a walkthru for this? I ve tried it for hours. Can't do it with out killing something.

I play the demo, and it's a terrible shame it is the only Avernum I ever played not to have a windowed mode.

I hope this comes in the future, along with more Slithzerikai and Nephilim skins, 4 or 5 were way too little in the previous three, but 2 is just a downright shame. I don't know whether this is lazyness on the developer's side, or has some purpose I cannot see (mainly because Slithzerikai kick ass, and a team where 2 look exactly alike eachother is simply dull...) I hope windowed mode and more Slithzerikai and Nephilim characters are added at one point.

Nepharim, my party always be (in all Avernums) composed by non-humans characters, so I totally agree with you. We need more slith and nephil skins... a full slith party just have two slith models, it's ridiculous see different PCs with the same shape...

In close battles, I've clicked sometimes in enemy slithzerakai/nepharim warriors thinking was mine slithy/nephil party members.... so boring...

There's no shapes to mages/priests non-human characters either. All graphics are much like warriors/rebels/berzerkers, without wizards physics/compleition and different "pieces of cloth".

Hugzzzzzz,

Klintor.

I think Avernum 4's pretty good, really. Sure, it's not all that it could be, but it's a good start, and, I think, and improvement on the engine used from A1-BoA.

Summoning spells might have gotten nerfed a little (at least until you get Divine Host,) but that's something that can easily be fixed in the next release. The removal of the targeting system (which I don't understand -- did Spiderweb just run out of time or did they not like that for some reason?) is disturbing but far from fatal, and in fact I like the new targeting for spells like Ice Bolts (it's not really much better or worse, just different: you have a chance to hit more enemies but they have to be closer.) We also might see at least some spells using the old targeting system in A5, who knows.

On the other hand, some serious problems A1-BoA had have been fixed, including fixing First Aid (actually a useful skill now) and improving Nature Lore (having to fight every single randomly spawned rat is annoying.) I also found most of the quests to often require more critical thinking: take for example the the quest to kill the Cauldron-born (hardy zombies). Instead of being able to just wollop everyone's rear assuming you've got the right skills, gear and spells, you actually have to figure out how to kill them (though a high-enough level party might be able to run through that place killing everything with acid.) Same goes for the shades: it really shocked me when I was confronted with an enemy I couldn't kill. I've neverhad that happen to me in Avernum before, at least as far as I can recall (not counting "throw switch/activate doodad to kill boss" dungeons).

Another great thing: no more freaking fake walls. I'm sorry, those things are just annoying. You pretty much just had to run into walls randomly to find a whole bunch of stuff, and they always got overused. There should be, at most, one fake wall per dungeon/town, and whether you find it or not should be based on a skill or something, not whether you're willing to run up against every wall in the entire world to see if it's fake.

As for the plot, it's best to keep in mind that this isn't just Avernum 4, it's more like "Avernum II 1." A whole lot of work went into overhauling the engine and the plot didn't get as much work as it should have. Still, it's better than A1, which I'm sure you all remember is the same thing as E1. We're also seeing as shift in the tone of the Avernum series: previous Avernum games were fairly lighthearted: I mean, just look at the skill graphics of anvils falling on people's heads and theives stealing women's undergarments. A4 was much more serious, lacking those graphics and presenting a more troubled, hard world. For example, in A1-3, X seemed more like a comical character than anything, but my reactions to him in A4 ranged somewhere between pity and unease. Solberg, too, provoked more emotions from me than your average Avernum character ever did, and there's several other examples I could name too. But generally, I think that the Avernum series is maturing plot-wise right now: we're seeing less and less of the characteristic humor (though it's certainly still present, especially in the comments about "adventurers") and more and more moral ambiguity. Once the engine's fine-tuned and Jeff has a clear idea exactly what he wants to do with the series, then I expect we're going to see deeper chacacters and better plots. Once again, remember that the last time they upgraded the engine (i.e. Exile to Avernum) they didn't even bother writing a new story. They could have just renamed the series and done the same thing all over again. I'd say going from writing nothing to writing something that's just ok instead of amazing is at least a step up.

I can see how this game would alienate some diehard Avernum fans: it changes a good number of things that have been in the game since A1, or even the Exile series. But I think if we give this series some time, we may find Avernum 5 or 6 to be the best installment yet. Personally, I wasn't much of a fan of A1 (I had already beaten E1 at least 5 times by that point, and still honestly prefer it,) but I think A3 was the best game in either the Avernum or Exile series. Having played A4, I'm very optimistic for the series right now.

Quote:
Originally written by Of Course I Still Love You:
I'd say going from writing nothing to writing something that's just ok instead of amazing is at least a step up.
Well, yeah. I just expected more. But I think you're right about A5: I'm looking forward to what Jeff makes and hoping that he'll do a little more with the finer points (plot, characters, etc.) this time.

Very well balanced. I liked the tough battles - the ones that force you to find a winning strategy. Globally, the right difficulty for the average gamer.

Right now I'm playing a mage/priest singleton (who said you need a tank singleton?). It's tough - some bosses are very difficult, especially the ones that charm you... but you can still beat them.

Quote:
Originally written by Of Course I Still Love You:
I also think Geneforge has kind of spoiled us as far as complex plots and moral imbaguity goes. The Geneforge series has always been very plot-based and forced you to make moral decisions, while Avernum is more of a dugeon crawl.
Ahem... there's a difference between complex and good. A4 wasn't really either of the two. Avernum in general is more atmosphere-based.

If you want "moral ambiguity," just play one of TM's BoA scenarios... :p

I don't really understand a lot of the negative feedback on A4, here. I'd say it was a bit of a step in a new direction, both in terms of story and gameplay. The Vahnati conflict has finally been neatly resolved, for now, and A5 is looking to deal heavily with the internal political forces clashing within the Empire. As far as difficulty goes, this was the first Avernum game that I found myself unable to play on the hardest setting starting from lvl 1, and I can appreciate that (although I also had a few tough encounters in BoA). The entire game was, as always, masterfully narrated, which is a large part of the reason I enjoy Avernum. Regardless of graphics, it's still more immersive than most rpgs I play. I can, to some extent, understand the points made about gear balance throughout the game, and there are fewer moral issues etc. to face (aside from choosing wether or not to steal everything that isn't nailed down), but overall I certainly feel A4 is on par with the other games. Oh, also, the new system with dead characters is severely more convenient, since you don't have to try and lug all their gear around until you get ressurected. Also, being able to carry any amount of weight, despite suffering an encumberance penalty, is very conveneint for loot runs.

I'd say the source of most negative comments is that people expected (maybe unrealistically) something a little bit more like Avernum 2 and a little bit less like Geneforge 3, in terms of engine, linearity and plot originality.

That doesn't make it a bad game per se but maybe a little disappointing, for those who had such expectations.

Its replay value is also reduced compared, to previous games.

In difficulty terms, I would say that Avernum 4 is considerably easier to beat than Geneforge 2 or 3 and more like a regular Avernum trilogy game in that respect.

I think A4 is a perfectly good introduction to spiderweb games if you are a new player, and a respectable continuation if you've only played the Avernum trilogy. Where it maybe doesn't work so well is for those who have been playing Geneforge (they've seen too much of it before) and for the Bladesoholics, who have more esoteric tastes (if the scenarios released so far are any indication).

I personally enjoyed the features of Avernum 4. I played the demos for all of the other Avernum games but A4 was the only one I ever registered for. I also can't understand the complaints about the interface, which I thought was an improvement over previous Avernum games and more intuitive. Picking up items and giving them to team members was better because you could drop them on a characters portrait regardless of who was currently "getting" the items. I also liked how towns and dungeons were part of the world at large, which makes more sense and made the game play smoother from my perspective.

My only real complaints were the lack of unique graphics, since all guards, wizards, sages, and soldiers were basically character graphics with a palette swap. This was especially annoying for Nephils and Slith, since they only got two graphics each, presumably one male and one female. I actually tried creating a new party in BoA and to my surprise, there were multiple Nephil and Slith graphics in the character creator, and it's hard to see why they were removed from this game. To A4 credit though, the actual Nephil/Slith character units in previous Avernum games were just palette swaps. The available graphics weren't bad, but more variety would add to the replay value of the game. The same goes for the monster graphics. It didn't seem like there was enough variety other than variations of the same basic type.

As for the story itself, a repeat of the plagues makes sense since Rentar is the returning villain, so she'd have a similar M.O. in how she enacted her revenge. Other than war with the Empire or the various humanoids in Avernum's world, there isn't much that can really be done storywise.

Quote:
Originally written by Savage Ed Walcott:
As for the story itself, a repeat of the plagues makes sense since Rentar is the returning villain, so she'd have a similar M.O. in how she enacted her revenge. Other than war with the Empire or the various humanoids in Avernum's world, there isn't much that can really be done storywise.
That is, without trying something new.

A4's plot makes sense. In fact, it makes too much sense. From about the first five minutes of A4, I knew what the rest of the game would look like.

But, as I've said all along, this was a game for good hacking. I'm hoping that the next one is more than that.

I played it a couple months back, but haven't played any other spiderweb game since then. I guess I'm kind of shedding it out of my life. They aren't as fun as they used to be. Maybe it's because years ago I was a kid and now I've got so many other things in my life I have to pay attention to, but I just don't find the time to play this game, and even when I have time to play it I'll go on the internet and browse some sites instead.

It's really videogames in general that I've started to shed out of my life, but I really liked the Exile series. I understand that as the world grows, you have to make better games and a better engine to keep your customers happy, but the Exile Series is probably my favorite game of them all. It was original and didn't need much to please people. You could also play it on and on forever.

Sorry if I kinda went off topic, I had to get that off.

I think the game is ok. There was some part I couldn't get past, it was some ghost test or something I saw in an underground place. I never got past that when I played. Other than that, the game is pretty easy. I like how it's got where you can scan the map, click on a place, and the party will move there. The slow moving system I disliked before. It also makes the game pretty cheap, though. You can quickly raid some parts of the dungeon, go back to town and recuperate and sell your loot, then raid the rest of the dungeon.

Quote:
A4's plot makes sense. In fact, it makes too much sense. From about the first five minutes of A4, I knew what the rest of the game would look like.
Kel pretty much hit this on the head and that's how A4 is different from its predecessors.

A1 -- you had a completely new world to explore.
A2 -- you had the barrier mystery with the introduction of the Vahnatai.
A3 -- whole new world to explore, villain is somewhat mysterious and not learned until farther into the plot.
A4 -- same world as A1/A2 but smaller, same villain as A3 and you pretty much knew it by the end of the demo.

My point was that the Rentar plot had to be resolved any way, and she would have the same basic ideas for how to exact her revenge. And to her credit, the shades actually were an original idea because she was trying to destroy Avernum by taking away the only thing that allowed its population to survive in the first place: each other.

By creating shades that preyed on and magnified the fear, claustrophobia, and desperation of a people trapped in a sunless, cavernous wasteland for pretty much the rest of their lives, and making escape not an option by shutting down the surface portal (unless that was done by the Loyalists, which is always possible) it would only be a matter of time before Avernum would turn on itself and she would be able to move on to her revenge on the surface.

And at any rate, all loose ends and conflicts with the Vahnatai seem pretty much resolved, so I doubt they'll play a major role in upcoming games, if they even make a cameo appearance. I wouldn't mind being able to have Vahnatai warriors in my party, but the prospect seems unlikely since they're pretty much solitary and generally trusted less than Nephils and Slith.

Now that I think about it, another minor thing that bugged me was that I wanted to fight a few of the sea monsters, or at least beached ones. They were a big problem in the story too but you don't even see one, all you get is a description based on what your party barely catches out of the corner of its eye.

To all of the people who disliked A4's story, what would you have done differently? What would you have rather seen? Jeff is mostly the storyteller and I prefer it that way because sometimes it's more interesting to see the product of someone else's imagination than keep using your own, but maybe with concstructive criticism and some feedback we could input ideas we'd like to see explored storywise. I know the Loyalists issue needs to be resolved, but what else could happen in the world of Avernum? The fall of the Empire? An Industrial Revolution? What ideas do you have for a good starting point for the next sequel?

The surface is a generic fantasy world. It is boring. The less involved it is the better.

Avernum has become too much of a playground. Every conceivable threat should be ground into a fine, reddish powder. The only thing left in the old, boring Avernum is politics, and Avernites don't really go for politics much.

What does that leave? The frontier. Onward and downward!

[Edit: I am literate.]

—Alorael, who hopes for more vahnatai, maybe vahnatai not related to Rentar-Ihrno's bunch at all. He'd also like to see (apologies to Kel) more about the slith lands below Lost Bahssikava.

Quote:
To all of the people who disliked A4's story, what would you have done differently? What would you have rather seen?
Anything but "oh no! more monsters!". The Shades were good, I agree, but the hoards of chitraches, etc. just became more of the same.

I would have personally picked something far more subtle, something where the player would not know for sure who was responsible by 1/5 of the way through the game. Rentar's exit was rather disappointing. Had she done something a little more ingenious, I'd give it a lot more credit.

There's also no crime in letting Rentar rest for a game just to keep the player somewhat surprised. I agree, the matter needed to be resolved, but the way it was resolved was too utterly predictable. You can call it disdain as it mimics a lot of newbish attempts at early Blades of Exile scenarios that were never released. Personally I would have liked to see the whole Vahnatai thing played out over several games.

That being said, A4 was never about story and was never meant to be. It was, as planned, pretty much a hack and slash game -- a good hack and slash, but disappointing because it took a decent world down an anticlimactic path.

It would have been nice to see the water monsters dealt with in a more involved fashion, considering they were cutting off parts of Avernum.

Also, I liked the surface after two games of underworld - getting there really seemed like an accomplishment and it seemed so huge compared to the caves.

I never actually thought about the redundant plot until someone said something. That's very true. After awhile, hacking isn't so much fun. It's nice to play a variation of a game with in the same 'world', so to speak, years later in the plot, but there needs to be something new. I'd support Jeff making something unique about it. It's not like it's very difficult, the possibilities are endless.

Perhaps a disease has caused the humans to turn on each other, vampires are taking over, stuff like that. I guess more plagues is the problem? I briefly looked at some posts. At least make a new villain, with some special capabilities, or soldiers. Maybe a fortress you have to really fight to get into?

I regret the forced story linearity. The Eastern Gallery and the Great Cave were the only real areas where you could chose what you wanted to do until you reached the next choke point. You could go after the interesting areas where it was a challenge for your party to fight instead of blindly following a single path.

I would like to see a return to the A1 and A2 style where there are a few major quests that can be completed in any order. No sea monsters and barriers that keep you trapped in an area until the game thinks you have done enough to go on to the next part.

Maybe for something different in the next game you could play either a Darkside Loyalist or a loyal supporter of Avernum. you could have two parallel games like in Nethergate with different reactions and quests depending upon the side you pick.

Quote:
Maybe for something different in the next game you could play either a Darkside Loyalist or a loyal supporter of Avernum.
That would be a very interesting game if done well. What would make it even better is if it didn't have the same linearity as Nethergate.

There wasn't really any reason for Nethergate's enforced order of major quests, but it never bothered me. It also helps to keep the Celt and Roman party rivalry reasonable. Once you can head west of the Ruined Hall you can travel all of Shadowvale anyway so it isn't such a restriction.

—Alorael, who actually thinks games usually benefit from being linear. Very few games can pull off E1/A1's mostly aimless wandering without becoming so unfocused that they aren't fun.

Quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:
Also, I liked the surface after two games of underworld - getting there really seemed like an accomplishment and it seemed so huge compared to the caves.
Naturally, it didn't help that the caves shrunk so much in A4.

I'd like to see a bit more of the role-playing element, honestly, so I agree with the Darkside/Avernum Nethergate-ness. Either that, or have items to help you get through the game that aren't pointy (don't say shields). Like, say... torches. Or rope. Heck, even a shovel (who else wants to kill a zombie with a shovel?).

I had an idea for the sequel where anything (and I mean ANYTHING, including objects in the scenery) could be picked up and thrown at enemies in a moment of desperation or just for fun if you had an adequate corresponding strength level. Like you could throw obvious "get" items like the bucket, shovels, pick axes (which I think should have been useable weapons anyway, with low damage and penalties to hit, but useable regardless) and books, as well as tables, cauldrons, bookshelves, or anything else a character had enough strength to lift and throw. Strength would determine the heaviest object liftable as well as the distance it could be chucked.

You could also pick up and throw most enemies using a new battle skill called "Grapple" that would allow characters with a high enough level to either put an enemy in a painful submission hold, effectively reducing its AP for an increasing number of turns or retaliate against a missed attack by stunning the attacker, moving them back a few squares, and causing them increasing damage, the odds of occuring increasing with skill level.

Bring back dual sword wielding, but add a new combat skill called martial arts that greatly improves a units ability to fight and defend barehanded, but is seperate from melee or pole weapons. Grapple would be to martial arts what quick strike is to quick action or magery is to spell craft. That, and bring back maces and flails. It just feels like something is missing without them.

Storywise, I thought it might be fun to actually see the actual formation and rise of the Empire, where you could fight either as forces on behalf of the burgeoning dictatorship or as a nation opposing it's rule.

• 1 month later...

I've been a paying player of Jeff's games since the first Exile. The games get better all the time, while retaining the best qualities of the earliest, and are quite addictive. Since I rarely play commercial computer games of any kind, it's hard for me to compare. I liked Avernum V, but at times I found it tiresome and frustrating. (Chitratchs...worms...slimes...ugh. Is this Peter Jackson's King Kong?) In particular, the Basalt Fortress assault seemed like an enormous amount of effort for surprisingly little reward. All right, I'll admit I was stupid: I actually killed every single pylon in the place. I know I could have gotten past them without doing so, but if you *do* get to the far ends of the rooms these plyons are in, there's always some treat (spells and such) waiting. But I think I did it out of spite. I would kill two, maybe three, retreat to Fort Remote to re-energize, then go back again. It took ages. When it was all done, I checked my stats, expecting to see that I had rung up two or three new levels of experience, and was shocked to see they had barely moved. Even though they are harder to kill than just about anything else in the game, apparently they are worth few experience points. What's up with that? And what do you have to do to get your mage or priest up to level 17 in order to use the most powerful spells, Divine Host and Arcane Blow? Maybe if I had dedicated *all* of their skill points to Mage Spells/Priest Spells and Intelligence, I could have done it but the characters would have been so weak as to be a major burden on the group.

I agree, though, with those who praised the fact that different monsters require very different approaches, and can't all be destroyed with brute force. You are forced to experiment and think, and this adds to the pleasure of the game.

As for the plot, it did seem a bit like a retread, and I couldn't help feeling there were quite a few, shall we say "homages" to plenty of well-known fantasy stories, inclduing Harry Potter, Star Wars, and of course Lord of the Rings. But what bothered me most was the recycling of monsters and items from Geneforge. The first Geneforge for me was so refreshingly different. I really wish he would keep them completely separate. Unlike an earlier poster, I would be seriously disappointed if in a future game it turned out that they were in the same world, unless Jeff did something really clever and convincing with the setting and story. (Perhaps those vaguely Russian-esque "foreigners" in one of the Geneforge games are from the Exile/Avernum series' "Empire.")

But Jeff has shown himself again and again to be not just a great programmer, but also an articulate and clever writer. I played some of the Blades of Exile games created by others, and most were horribly written crap. I haven't bothered buying Blades of Avernum, because I expect the same will be true of the scenarios available for that one, too. If I had loads of free time, I'd be tempted to make one myself, but it would certainly turn out to be as tedious and long as this post.

I suspect I'll keep buying and playing Jeff's games as long as he keeps pumping them out. I can just see myself in a retirement home, sitting in diapers in a wheelchair, a bit of drool dripping from my mouth and long hairs protuding from my ears. Laptop on knee, I'll be playing Geneforge XXI.

Quote:
But Jeff has shown himself again and again to be not just a great programmer, but also an articulate and clever writer. I played some of the Blades of Exile games created by others, and most were horribly written crap.
You obviously haven't played many Blades of Exile scenarios, have you? I agree, most are not that great, but there are plenty of great ones out there.

The reason that you found most BoE scenarios to be horrible is probably because you trusted SW's tables, which (for BoE) are pretty much defunct. This is a much better place to decide what scenarios to play. Many people (including myself) would say the best surpass Jeff's games. There's also an archive with almost every BoE scenario out there, but it's down.

Quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:
There's also an archive with almost every BoE scenario out there, but it's down.
Er, no longer. It has been back up for a while now.

EDIT: Wtf. It is in fact down. I have no idea what Comcast is trying to pull. I can only assume that it will come back, because everything is still there on the FTP end of things.

Alright, I've been outta the loop for a while, and didn't even realize there was an AV4 until about a week ago. So I've got the demo, about to order the full game,and granted my opinion will carry little weight as I've only seen a small portion of the game. Anyway, Avernum 4 has been exciting and a disappointment for me at the same time.

I'm enjoying the story so far. Seem a bit of rehashing, similar a bit to the plagues of Avernum 3, but different enough to keep me interested so far. NPCs are as good as ever, and a few of the gameplay tweaks I've enjoyed.

However, a lot of the gameplay tweaks I haven't enjoyed. As I believe someone has already pointed out, it's basically dependent on a combination of mouse and keyboard, which I'm not fond of. I'm not a big fan of the map either. The first time I played I was confused as hell by the transition form dungeon or city to outside. I left that little goblin dungeon to arrive on the outside in that swamp. I thought I was just in a really big, open area of the dungeon until I stumbled on Fort Monastery. Me, personally, I enjoyed having a transition between overworld map and city/dungeon map.

That's pretty much all the input I have, though.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by The_Other_Guy:
I quite like Avernum 4, but something very irritating is how enemies declare combat mode so early that you often can't even walk up to them in that turn, much less melee attack. mad I can just sit there and let them come to me, but I would MUCH rather not have the problem to begin with.
Yeah, as I recall, this led to an interesting bug-that-wasn't... being forced into combat mode by a fungus and then running away to end combat made it so that every step you took (with the offending fungus out of sight) forced you into combat mode.