Here is a list of spell effects for Avernum 1. The manual does contain a detailed list, but as we all know, the manual and descriptions are frequently incorrect. If there is interest, I may decide to do the spells of Avernum 2 and 3. Let me know if you want those games tested too.
Each spell is listed below with its effect and their Spell levels according to the manual. My equations are given after the manual equations in parentheses.
Note: B is the spell bonus, equivalent to (Intelligence/2) + Magery + Mage/Priest Skill.
Each spell will have the following format.
Spell Name Minimum Skill Level needed to cast Effect
· Level 1 according to the manual
· Level 2 according to the manual
· Level 3 according to the manual
Bolt of Fire Min. Skill 1 Fire damage
· 3-12 + B/2 damage
· 4-18 + B damage
· 5-20+3B/2 damage
The Bonus is correct; my sample damage was roughly similar.
Light Min. Skill 1 Light
· 100+10B turns (280+10B turns)
· 200+10B turns (380+10B turns)
· 300+10B turns (480+10B turns)
The actual light effect is about 10*B+180-190+(100*Spell Level) turns. My tests were slightly unclear because of how light runs out; I suspect the manual uses a different cut off point than I did. I counted the turns from the first casting to the turn when the visible distance became 1 (the normal light level in dark areas). The manual equation may refer to the start of the reduction or the third reduction of light.
Call Beast Min. Skill 2 Summon monster
· weak beast (Group 1) for 3-12+B/2 turns
· beast (Group 2) for 3-12+B/2 turns
· strong beast (Group 3) for 3-12+B/2 turns
The duration and bonus are correct. The monster group list is given at the end of the post.
Bind Foe Min. Skill 2 Status effect on enemy
· Web 1 target
· Sleep 1 target for 2-6+B turns
· Paralyze 1 target for 5-10+B/4 turns
My tests were unclear because enemies likely have resistance that affects duration. Each level does what it says. Multiple casts appear to stack. In my tests, the Level 2 bonus appeared to be .1 while Level 3 gave a bonus of ~.5 of the listed duration.
Haste Min. Skill 3 Haste
· 1 Character for 3-5+B/4 turns (3-5+3B/4 turns)
· 1 Character for 5-9+B/4 turns (5-9+B turns)
· Party for 4-8+B/4 turns (4-8+B/<5 turns)
The cap for the haste status is 9 turns. The Bonus appears to be .75B for Level 1, Level 2 caps at the Min. Skill of 3 Mage Spells, so probably B/1. Level 3 appears to have a Bonus of less than B/4, between B/5 and B/8. Additional casts do not add duration.
Slow Min. Skill 3 Slow
· 1+B/4 targets, 3-12+B/3 turns (1+B/8 targets, 3-12+B/<3 turns)
· 1+B/4 targets, 3-12+B/3 turns (2+B/8 targets, 3-12+B/<3 turns)
· 1+B/4 targets, 3-12+B/3 turns (3+B/8 targets, 3-12+B/<3 turns)
Slow appears to have a cap of 9 turns, like haste. The Level 1 target number starts at 1+B/8, subsequent levels are 2+ and 3+B/8, with duration capping at 9 turns. I counted every turn and not just the turns missed. My average was ~5 turns at base level 1, so the duration is more like 3-9+B/3 due to the cap. The duration bonus is between B/8 and B/3, and Slow caps at the base skill level for Spell Level 3.
Ice Lances Min. Skill 5 Cold damage
· 2+B/3 targets, 3-12+B/2 damage (3-12+B/4 targets)
· 2+B/3 targets, 5-20+B/2 damage (5-20+B/4 targets)
· 2+B/3 targets, 7-28+B/2 damage (7-28+B/4 targets)
The targets equations are correct. The damage Bonus for all 3 levels is B/4. My sample damage ranges were similar.
Unlock Doors Min. Skill 5 Unlock
· Unlocks locked doors
· Success chance improves
· Unlocks all doors, not gates
I’m not entirely clear on exactly how this spell works. The chance of success does improve at Level 2. B adds 5% to unlock chance, Level 2 adds 30%. Level 3 adds no additional % chance, but will affect more doors. The chance affects doors of different strength differently.
Create Illusions Min. Skill 6 Summon illusions [Disappear when hit]
· 2-4+B/6 weak illusions (Group 1) for 3-12+B/4 turns (~3-12+B/2 turns)
· 2-4+B/6 illusions (Group 2) for 3-12+B/4 turns (~3-12+B/2 turns)
· 2-4+B/6 strong illusions (Group 3) for 3-12+B/4 turns (1+B/12, ~3-12+B/2 turns)
Levels 1 and 2 summon 2-4+B/6 illusions for ~6+B/2 turns on average. Level 3 summons 1+B/12 illusions for ~6+B/2 turns on average.
Far Sight Min. Skill 6 Far sight
· Small area (11x11)
· Large area (15x15)
· Outdoors (19x19)
Level 1 has a range of 11x11. Level 2 has a range of 15x15. Level 3 has a range of 19x19. The range is not affected by B.
Lightning Spray Min. Skill 8 Magic damage
· 3+B/5 targets, 5-30+B/2 damage (2+B3 targets)
· 3+B/5 targets, 7-42+B/2 damage (2+B3 targets)
· 3+B/5 targets, 9-54+B/2 damage (2+B3 targets)
The target equation is 2+B/3. The damage ranges are close and the bonus is correct.
Dispel Barrier Min. Skill 9 Dispel Barriers
· Fire barriers
· Force Barriers
· Always works
Appears to work like unlock doors, 5%/B. Level 2 affects both fire and force barriers.
Summon Aid Min. Skill 9 Summon monsters
· 2-4+B/5 weak creatures (Group 1) for 3-12+B/4 turns (2-4+B/6, ~3-12+B/2 turns)
· 2-4+B/5 creatures from (Group 2) for 3-12+B/4 turns (2-4+B/6, ~3-12+B/2 turns)
· 2-4+B/5 strong creatures (Group 3) for 3-12+B/4 turns (1+B/12, ~3-12+B/2 turns)
Levels 1 and 2 are 2-4+B/6 creatures, for ~6+B/2 turns on average. Level 3 is 1+B/12 creatures for 6+B/2 turns on average.
Beast Ceremony Min. Skill 11 Status effects on party
· Bless and shield for 3-6+B/5 turns (B/<6 turns)
· Adds Haste for 3-6+B/5 turns (B/<6 turns)
· Adds Magic Resist for 3-6+B/5 turns (B/<6 turns)
The equation appears correct. Each character’s duration is calculated independently. Magic resist caps at 7 turns, and the equation may be 3-6+B/6 or B/8. All statuses have a maximum duration, Bless and shield have a cap of 23 turns, haste 9, magic resist, 7.
Fire Blast Min. Skill 13 Fire damage
· 2+B/5 targets, 5-50+B damage
· 2+B/5 targets, 7-70+B damage
· 3+B/5 targets, 9-90+B damage
The equations listed above appear correct.
Arcane Summon Min. Skill 16 Summon monster
· One strong creature (Group 4) for 3-12+B/6 turns (~3-12+B/2 turns)
· One stronger creature (Group 5) for 3-12+B/6 turns (~3-12+B/2 turns)
· One enormous creature from (Group 6) for 3-12+B/6 turns (~3-12+B/2 turns)
The duration is 6+B/2 turns on average.
Arcane Shield Min. Skill 17 Status effects on 1 character
· Martyr, Shield, Resist for 1 character for 8+B/6 turns (7+B/6 turns)
· Adds Invulnerable for 3 turns
· Increases Invulnerable for 6 turns
The equation for Shield is correct. Martyr and Resist are 7+B/6 turns with a cap of 9 each. Invulnerability is correct at a flat 3 and 6 turns.
Arcane Blow Min. Skill 18 Magic damage
· 3+B/7 targets, 8-80+B/4 damage (2B/5 damage)
· 3+B/7 targets, 10-100+B/4 damage (2B/5 damage)
· 3+B/7 targets, 12-120+B/4 damage (2B/5 damage)
The target equations are correct. The damage range appears similar, although Bonus appears to be 2B/5.
Healing Min. Skill 1 Healing
· 3-12+B/4 health (B/2 health)
· 4-16+B/2 health (3B/4 health)
· 5-20+3B/4 health (B health)
The health looks correct, the bonus is B/2, 3B/4, and B.
Curing Min. Skill 1 Cure status on party
My tests cured the status every time and the effects levels are true.
Battle Rage Min. Skill 1 Status effects on 1 character
· Bless for 7+B/2 turns
· Bless for 10+B turns
· Haste for 4 turns
Spell Level 1 is +3+B/6 Chance To Hit and Damage Levels, capping at +8. Spell Level 2 is +4+B/3 Bonus Levels. The bless duration is true and bless caps at 23 turns, haste is either 4 or 5 depending on how you count turns.
Shielding Min. Skill 1 Status on 1 character
· Shield for 7+B/2
· Shield for 10+B
· Resist for 4 turns
Level 1 is +10/3+B/6 Armor Levels, capping at +8. Level 2 is ~+4+B/3. The shield duration is true and caps at 23 turns, resist is either 3 or 4 depending on how you count turns.
Repel Spirit Min. Skill 3 Damage Undead
· 1 target, 5-30+B damage
· 1+B/4 targets, 5-30+B damage
· Damages demons
The damage and target equations are correct. Does not hurt demons until Level 3.
Smite Min. Skill 4 Cold damage
· 1 target, 3-15+B/4 turns
· 1+B/4 targets, 4-20+B/2 turns (B/4 turns)
· 1+B/4 targets, 5-25+3B/4 turns (B/4 turns)
The target number is correct. Bonus remains constant at B/4 and does not increase.
Summon Shade Min. Skill 5 Summon 1 ghost
· Summon shade (Group 7) for 3-12+B/2 turns
· Summon greater shade (Group 8) for 3-12+B/2 turns
· Summon vengeful shade (Group 9) for 3-12+B/2 turns
The duration is probably correct, possibly 3-10+B/2 turns.
Safe Travel Min. Skill 5 Status effect on party
· Safe travel for 50+B turns
· Safe travel for 100+B turns
· Hovering for 100+B turns
The equations are correct; the duration is both in town and in overworld.
Unshackle Mind Min. Skill 6 Cure status on 1 character
· Cure sleep, dumbfounding, terrify, enfeeble
· Cure paralysis
· Cure charm
Level 1 also cures confusion. The spell appears to always work if the level is correct.
Mass Healing Min. Skill 6 Heals
· 3-12+B/4 (3-12+B/2)
· 4-16+B/2 (4-16+3B/4)
· 5-20+3B/4 (5-20+B )
The bonus is B/2, 3B/4, and B, like Healing but for all characters.
Mass Curing Min. Skill 6 Cure status on party
My tests cured the status every time and the effects levels are true, like Curing but for all characters.
Sanctuary Min. Skill 8 Status effects on party
· Sanctuary for 4+B/5 turns (3+B/5 turns)
· Sanctuary for 8+B/5 turns (11+B/5 turns)
· Adds Martyr for 8+B/5 turns
Level 1 is 3+B/5 turns, Level 2 is 11+B/5 turns, and Level 3 adds Martyr Shield at its max duration, 3 turns.
Divine Fire Min. Skill 10 Fire damage
· 1+B/12 targets, 4-48+B/2 damage (2+B/5 targets)
· 1+B/12 targets, 6-72+B/2 damage (2+B/5 targets)
· 1+B/12 targets, 8-96+B/2 damage (2+B/5 targets)
The targets are 2+B/5. The damage Bonus is correct and damage is roughly similar.
Control Foes Min. Skill 10 Status effects on enemies
· Enfeeble and terrify 1 foe (1+B/12 targets)
· Confuse 1 foe (1+B/12 targets)
· Charm 1 foe (1+B/12 targets)
Duration and success of effects not tested due to resistance. The targets are 1+B/12 enemies.
Return Life Min. Skill 12 Ressurect
· Restore stoning
· Revive dead
· Revive dusted character
Uses Balm of life, returns 1 character to 1 life.
Divine Warrior Min. Skill 16 Status effects on 1 character
· Divinely Touched for 5-7+B/5 turns
· Regenerate for 5-7+B/5 turns
· Invulnerable for B/5 turns
Duration is ~5+B/5 for Levels 1 and 2. Divinely Touched and Regenerate have caps at 23 turns. Regeneration is 1hp/turn, only in town. Divinely Touched adds +3-5+B/5 Levels of damage, it does stack and caps at +22 Levels, degrades at +1/turn. DT doubles Action Points. The Invulnerable durations appears correct, max of 7 turns.
Divine Restoration Min. Skill 17 Heals
· Heal all damage and cure all bad status effects
· Also gives 20 bonus health
· Also gives 40 bonus health
The manual is correct. The spell is not affected by B, and there is no max hit points healed. I believe the max Hp is 2273 at level 40, Spell Level 3 heals to 2313.
Divine Host Min. Skill 18 Summon shades
· 3 powerful shades (Group 8) for 4-24 turns (8-10+B/2 turns)
· 5 powerful shades (Group 8) for 4-24 turns (8-10+B/2 turns)
· 7 powerful shades (Group 8) for 4-24 turns (8-10+B/2 turns)
All levels of the spell use group 8, for 8-10+B/2 turns on average.
All durations were counted from start of spell to turn when it disappears, so casting is turn 1, the end is considered to be the last turn the effect is visible. - Your count may vary.
Summons only work in a 5x5 area, outside of that it can't summon more .
As mentioned above, Groups 1-3 are used for Call Beast Levels 1-3, Create Illusions Levels 1-3, Summon Aid Levels 1-3, and the Call Beast Skill of the Beastmaster trait. Groups 4-6 are used for Arcane Summon Levels 1-3. Groups 7-9 are used for Summon Shade. Divine Host uses Group 8.
Group 1: Bat, Cave rat, Goblin, Nephil, Serpent, Skeleton, Zombie
Group 2: Asp, Ghoul, Giant lizard, Giant Spider, Lava bat, Nephar, Nephil warrior, Rabid bat, Slith, Vapor rat
Group 3: Fire lizard, Ghast, Gremlin, Nephar warrior, Ogre, Slith warrior
Group 4: Vampire
Group 5: Demon
Group 6: Eyebeast
Group 7: Shade
Group 8: Greater Shade
Group 9: Vengeful Shade