I just recently started playing this game and have a few questions. I am currently playing the demo and waiting for the cd to arrive.
1) Are there any "random" encounters? It says in the manual that dead creatures in dungeons will usually remain dead. If there are no random encounters, then the total amount of exp. you can get is fixed. I haven't had any random encounters outside yet. How does woodscraft affect the number of encounters? If it decreases random encounters and you have a lot of woodscraft, that would decrease the amount of experience points available. I accidentally got 3 levels for lockpicking for the wrong character, and then started building another character up to 4 lvls. Maybe I can use the character editor to fix that.
2) What does it mean if you are drained (from the undead in the 3rd lvl. of the first abandoned mine)?
3) The manual and the in-game help contradict each other. Do both woodscraft and herbcraft both increase the chance of finding herbs? Are there only certain places where you can get herbs, in which case it would be useless to put up both these skills very high?
4) I have a magic user/thief who makes potions and has 19 hit points. (I am playing the Romans.) I don't want to give him "weapon" skills so he can hit better; I would rather spend them on magic skills/making potions. Should give him hardiness and defense just in case he gets attacked, with the added benefit that it will increase his hit points?
5) Is barter skill worth it? I took some points when it was cheap.