Cheats ?

Hawk King

Experienced Avernites are going to find A4 pretty easy at first, because the early game seems to be balanced so as not to frustrate inexperienced players on Normal difficulty. I had lots of Geneforge experience on high difficulty before beta-testing A4, but no Avernum experience to speak of. Going through the first time, I found Normal in A4 to be reasonably challenging: frequently tense and occasionally quite tricky. Now I'm doing it again on Torment, but with a properly designed party and greater tactical wisdom, and I'm barely raising a sweat, up to Fort Draco.

On the first time through, though, the game got quite hard for me for a long middle stretch. I'm not entirely sure that I will find it harder this time through, or that experienced players will; but at this point I think that there will indeed be a dramatic increase in difficulty.

The first time through nothing was especially challenging until the Eastern Gallery, which proceeded to pile pain on top of pain. It's not quite as bad in later versions (or maybe my party is better), but it's a definite jump in difficulty.

Besides important or otherwise special battles, there aren't too many tricks to master. Just get used to some surprising fluctuations in difficulty and don't wander around anywhere new without saving.

—Alorael, who learned to stop worrying and love the chitrachs.

You shouldn't need cheats, really. I had few clues and no cheats while playing through the beta twice+ and was able to finish every quest but one (thanks Alo for the tip on the one) and win the game with no real need to modify anything. I'm not an expert player, though I have played all the previous Avernums.

Because there are no secret areas in which to hide spellbooks and magical items, going about acquiring and finishing things is more straightforward. Because you never truly die, but can revive three out of four of your party for no cost if one member survives, there is less need for reloading or fixing things.

I'll post my general advice for playing and constructing a party to give an idea what may work or be helpful to keep in mind for A4.

Quote:
Originally written by The Forgotten:
avernum 4 just came out and already you want cheats? wheres the challenge,wheres the fun,wheres the excitement in winning every battle with ease
I like to use cheats because I play for plot and thats pretty much it and I enjoy traveling avernum learning everything. But if while on the way to lets say the tower of the magi i get killed by err.. A group of drakes then i don't ever get to the Tower of Magi. So i prefer to just put in a bunch of cheats and when a stupid monster attacks i kill it and go on my way

I'm with Hawk King on this one. I personally don't get much satisfaction out of being killed in the middle of my adventuring, and completing a difficult task after much anguish in Spiderweb games usually leaves me feeling depressed because of all of the misery experienced while trying to work at something that is supposed to be a source of relaxation and happiness. Cheats keep me relaxed and happy, so long as they don't mess with the storyline in glitchy ways.

Besides, it's great fun running around between quests with a singleton on Torment annihilating various creatures with nothing but a stick...particularly when they call your character "doomed, puny, weak," etc. Nothing irritates me more when some pompous enemy ends up victorious.

Even so, A4 seems to be rather balanced and rich with plot, so purists and cheaters alike are going to have a great time.

Quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:
do you think that jeff wil announce someday that theres actualy more then one cheat code
If you look closely, you'll notice that two have already been listed in this thread.

I'll give all that I know, though:
ouchouchouch
imdrained
leetbuffz
owmybrains
backtostart
pleaselikeme
iwanttobestronger
giveasnack
showmeall

Try them and see if they still work and what they do!

I don't think these are supposed to be a secret. I mean, if you bought the previous Avernums, you got a working Character Editor. We have cheat codes for A4 instead. Here they are. Are they not listed with the new download version?

Hold the shift key down and type 'd', the cheat box comes up.

Enter the phrases below and hit return to get the given effect.

ouchouchouch – Heals and cures your group.

imdrained - Recharge your spell energy.

leetbuffz – Gives each of your characters multiple blessings.

owmybrains – Cures any character that is frozen or suffering from a mental effect.

backtostart – Returns you to Fort Monastery. Very useful if you get stuck.

pleaselikeme - Makes all of the areas in the game forget your crimes. If you were hated there, you won’t be anymore. Note that certain crimes (stealing artifacts, killing major characters) won’t be forgotten.

iwanttobestronger - Gives you some experience.

giveasnack - Gives your main character some cake.

showmeall - Make all characters (even ones you can’t see) appear on your automap.

dontshowmeall - Stop making all characters appear on your automap.

are those all the codes? i could use one for more gold...

i also doubt these cheats are supposed to be secret.

but i think its cooler if theyre more special and mysterious, valuable... you know? than the old editors.

but hey i actually hate a4, i just want to get on fast to see if its possible i could begin to like it.

• 2 months later...

you're telling me that this version of exile/avernum has no character editor!?

I've used the editor for many reasons since I found out about spidweb and avernum 3 back when i was in like 4th grade...-.-

I cant believe theres no money cheat...character editor is so much more useful than "cheats"

Quote:
Originally written by SilofUSDA:
you're telling me that this version of exile/avernum has no character editor!?
I've used the editor for many reasons since I found out about spidweb and avernum 3 back when i was in like 4th grade...-.-
I cant believe theres no money cheat...character editor is so much more useful than "cheats"
Yes, all of the posts in this thread were truthful, and there is no more character editor (though Jeff says he might bring it back for A5).

And now, this thread can die the slow death...

• 1 year later...
Quote:
Originally written by ARH:
there are more cheats than whats given above! Hawk King has made a editor that kiks butt. Search on the AV4 page for the editor to learn how to download it and get it to work.
This thread has been dead for longer then TM has been banned! NOT a good way to start your forum career. /mod

I got A4 by downloading it from MSN Games and have been playing it for a couple monthes. I finally found this Board and discovered Relle's walkthrough and the subject of "cheats".

It says "To use them, press Alt+Shift+D to open the prompt...." Well, this doesn't work for me, nothing happens. Is this because I downloaded the game? Do you have to be in combat mode? I've never used cheats before and as a relative newbie didn't know what to expect, so would appreciate your comments as I, too, am tired of having to go back to base to refresh. Thanks in advance....

I mentioned that I was a newbie, right.. should also have said that I was computer illiterate! Instead of hitting Shift I was hitting the Space bar! Thanks for being so emphatic in your response..made me look at the keys.

And it works with or w/o Alt, which was in Relle's Walkthrough not from MSN.

Anyhow, I'm off to the races, see you.....

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...