Easter eggs?

Much of the Monastery of Madness was references to bad action flicks. I believe that most of the references survived the transition from Exile 3 to Avernum 3, though it's been a while since I played either. Exile 3 also had a secret room that was rather more explicit about the references, as I recall.

In E2 there was the "eas ter egg" teleport code. I don't think that one made it to A2.

Also, there's the end-game easter egg in A3. Remember "... At the end, Pants on the west rune, and step on the east rune ..." (Or the other way around).

It lead to the cliche dungeon (something like "and you see even more creatures inexplicably attacking you. They reach you, slobbering, and blah blah blah blah). After that, you reached the cliche town, complete with JV cameo.

I still liked the crazy monks better though.

EDIT: "Fiesty slap of pain!" was the only monk quote that originated with JV. All the rest were from the aforementioned bad action flicks.

--------------------

Fiesty slap of pain!

- Monks of Madness

Quote:
Originally written by Derakon:
In E2 there was the "eas ter egg" teleport code. I don't think that one made it to A2.
That one did make it. It led to an oddly-shaped outdoor section, a strange fight or two, and some bits of trivia about when A2 and E2 were completed.

Quote:
Originally written by Nathan Ashby The Sane:
You had to go through about 50 efreets to get it, and it led to an outdoor section that looked like a big devil face. I don't recall any fights, however.
There were golems fighting each other, and two hordes of hostile townspeople. It was kind of fun, really.

Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
Quote:
Originally written by Nathan Ashby The Sane:
You had to go through about 50 efreets to get it, and it led to an outdoor section that looked like a big devil face. I don't recall any fights, however.
There were golems fighting each other, and two hordes of hostile townspeople. It was kind of fun, really.
Especially in E2. It was one of the very few times that you could unload a Firestorm and hit with every square of it. Mmmm, bloody mayhem.

""Fiesty slap of pain!" was the only monk quote that originated with JV."

Actually, I lifted that from a comic strip. But I honestly can't remember which one, and Google didn't help me.

Avernum 4 has no Easter Eggs, unless you count the towns where the characters are named after favorite books/TV shows of mine. For example, "Pea Eye."

Whether a game has an Easter Egg depends on my mood at the end of it. By the time Avernum 4 and Geneforge 3 were done, I was, like, "OH GOD! GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF MEEEE!!!!!!" so no extra effort. And, frankly, Avernum 4 is big enough.

I will try to do something neat for Avernum 5, though. Maybe I'll make it at the very beginning, since I'll be too tired at the end.

I'm still not sure anyone ever found the Easter Egg in Nethergate. Think that one might have been too obscure.

- Jeff Vogel

Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
Quote:
Originally written by Derakon:
That one did make it.
How did you get access to it? I knew about the A2 easter egg, but you normally have to find signs in order to get teleport codes in A2.

How could we have possibly forgotten the Burma Shave signs near Blackcrag in A3?

Before they send us...

to a grave...

Alien Beasts use...

Burma Shave.

One of the better moments of A3.

EDIT: Also, A4 seems to have a cameo of TM:

Your conversation with this sailor is very short. It mostly involves his asking why you are in his room, combined with several harsh comments regarding your appearance, ancestry, and the availability of your mother.

--------------------

Heroes: Where are the monsters coming from?

Crisper: The pits of Hell! My aunt's cave! My pants! How should I know?

Also in E3/A3 if you press the right F keys.

—Alorael, who will have to go through Nethergate even more exhaustively. Hopefully the easter egg isn't subtle, because there's a reasonable amount of humor based on anachronism and non sequitur that's just part of the joys of Shadowvale.

OK. Here is the deal with the Nethergate Easter Egg (which will be made easier to find if I ever rework the game).

There is some space in a corner of the vale that, when you step on it, makes a little message on the text area. At this point, there is another spot in the opposite end you can step on. If you do this IN THE SAME PLAY SESSION, the quotes on the chapter heading screens change to funny ones.

It's ridiculously obscure. I did better in other games.

- Jeff Vogel

Quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

EDIT: Also, A4 seems to have a cameo of TM:

Your conversation with this sailor is very short. It mostly involves his asking why you are in his room, combined with several harsh comments regarding your appearance, ancestry, and the availability of your mother.
laugh

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
The item descriptions are usually great in Spiderweb Software games.
Thus why I was distressed at their absence in BoE.

Quote:
Also, A4 seems to have a cameo of TM:

Which dialogue, when I discovered it, reminded me of the shifting target audience. From Burma Shave to this... Well, G4 and A5 are yet to come, and I look forward to what Jeff has for us there.

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:
""Fiesty slap of pain!" was the only monk quote that originated with JV."

Actually, I lifted that from a comic strip. But I honestly can't remember which one, and Google didn't help me.
Google is worthless. I seem to recall (20 years ago) reading a similar phrase in Dragon Magazine, possibly from Wormy or Snarfquest. Recent checks of old issues have been worthless for verification, but have been interesting.

In A4, X is finally out of the library and both his new tower and old office have anvils in them. I guess he has started trying out his spell. At least he doen't ask us to stand there while he tries that one out.

Anyone want to guess which recently dead wizard X is trying to raise with his failed shade exoeriment? I think X is going for Erika.

Quote:

I prefer the one when you see one of the sea monsters for the first time. I forget the quote, but tentacles feature prominently.

In E1 he asks you who has the largest anvil. In A1 he asks you to visit Bargha's library. The priest in the ToM gives you the anvil quest, I think.

—Alorael, who isn't very certain of that. Among other problems, it makes absolutely no sense. Priests don't need to have anvils.

I don't remember anything anvil-related in A3. When you talk to X then, he talks about the Xian items.

In fact, X is coherent in A3, and almost sane. Hopefully, he's back to his usual self in A4.

--------------------

IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:

No matter how well it would perform, I will never construct any sort of machinery which is completely indestructible except for one small and virtually inaccessible vulnerable spot.