Because I Can: The Masochist's Guide To G4

Ash Lael

I've started playing G4, and geez. It's just WAY too easy. It seems a decent game so far, but the combat is so unchallenging and tedious that I'm getting quite bored.

So this means I have to give myself a challenge! smile Thuryl already did Onan the Barbarian, so it has to be something tougher than no magic, no canisters, and no creations. I want to do something really ridiculous. I'm thinking something like no training, or maybe a Servile who isn't allowed to do any damage himself and must rely purely on his creations. I'll start this challenge tomorrow night, so feel free to come up with intensely difficult suggestions and/or cast votes until then.

You do need some training just to be able to get enough damage in chapter 2 - Illya province. I started a servile with a single creation that did all the damage for him and it works if the servile casts daze and healing spells.

A servile with no spells and only creations fighting seems reasonable. After all creation is his worst ability and he has lower essence. You get plenty of money because you sell all the weapons that don't have useful abilities like guardian claymore's strength to self and creations.

How about you only use a stick for a weapon?

Your character cannot cast spells, attack, or use items. You may make one and only one creation, and it must be a fyora made as soon as possible in the beginning. If it dies, you reload.

Have fun by a very different definition from mine!

—Alorael, who otherwise thinks that a melee-only, non-canister lifecrafter would be a suitably agonizing challenge.

I haven't bought G4 yet, but the "don't attack anything" "challenge" was extremely easy in the first three Geneforges, and I suspect it will be that way for G4, especially if you have the hint book. :p

An example : You can sabotage Shaila's platform while she's standing on it. The lightning aura will "kill" her in only a few rounds.

EDIT : Okay, I think you do have to attack Barzahl in G2 if you want the Loyalist or Taker ending, even if you let the Drayks do all the work for you.

No combat is actually pretty easy in general. And it also gets boring.

Anyway, Ug has been launched! I'm using Mechanics, but not Leadership, and playing a heavily combat-focussed game. I've also extended no spellcasting to using any pods or other magic items (though wearing magic armour is okay). I've just knocked over Shalia, and so far so good. After a little pain early on when dealing with large numbers of opponents I can only kill one at a time, I've started to follow Thuryl's lead and am investing in Endurance.

I also carry around a lot of food - I don't have anything else to spend my cash on, so that's pretty much unlimited and I use it as much as possible, regularly chomping down snacks while in the middle of a fight. I can't help expecting Ug to get really overweight, what with his unhealthy dependency on kebabs. On the other hand, I guess it all gets surgically removed...

No real difficulties so far. I'm spreading skill points fairly evenly among combat skills (though with extra endurance), and I have to say, quick action and parry help a lot, especially against tougher opponents. When all you have to hit people with is a stick, it helps to hit them a few times. :p

How about I finish with Ug first?

I've just gotten through the Cairn Gates, and am level 11. The Battle Alphas at the bridge and the Restless Dead have been the only things too tough for me so far. Oh, and I got through the Dumping Pits by just running past and taking a few hits rather than taking on a trio of Runewarded Thahds. :p

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!! I just beat Moseh and got through Illya Province. Damn tough, too. I thought he had me. I ended up bringing him down with all of 12 HP to spare. :p

To date, Ug has eaten well over a thousand kebabs. He somehow maintains good fighting fitness.

I'm now tossing up whether it's acceptable to take reinforcements with me in the Fens. On one hand, I haven't been training in Leadership, so the most I can get is 2 soldiers anyway, so it's not like Ug won't still be labouring under a disadvantage compared to most non-stick-wielding characters. On the other... is it cheapening the challenge to accept help? I've been using occasional help where I can get it anyway (leading monsters back to friendly characters, or fighting alongside characters in specific situations). I'm inclined to say it's alright, but if people demand further masochism I can go without.

• 3 weeks later...