255 replies to this topic
diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:20 AM #71 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Once again, neither one seems particularly likely. Patrick was named all the way back in Exile 1. He may have been named after thousands of Patricks, or after no one at all. We have no way of knowing, and listing Patricks won't help unless there's more than a given name to link them. Rone is also common enough that without a better tie name similarity doesn't show a cameo.

—Alorael, who will go ahead and add the Jeff Vogel cameo in A3. It's obvious as being hit by an anvil spell, but it should be included for completeness.

Ouroboros Ouroboros

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 5,770
  • 570 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:17 AM #72 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Perhaps he is one of the E1 Beta testers?

Acky Acky

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 5,375
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationPort Charles, Florida

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:40 AM #73 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

A little off discussion but Taygen means/is this:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=127404281

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:19 PM #74 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Ow, my poor eyes! I knew Taygen was evil, but I had no idea how deep his (her?) depravity went...

—Alorael, who at least learned that Taygen is a real, though uncommon, given name. What's more, it appears to be much more common as a girl's name. Probably all of Sage Taygen's issues come from taunts he received as a small child.

Acky Acky

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 5,375
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationPort Charles, Florida

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:36 PM #75 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Shaper children. So cruel.

Apparently Alwan has a taste for the arts:  http://www.alwan.org/

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:20 PM #76 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

*facepalm*

Just because you find a name on google does not mean it has anything to do with the character's name.

And I thought hte Jeff cameo was E2 (eas ter egg).  Was there an E3 one as well?
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:22 PM #77 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Yeah - it's the old "throwing your pants on Rentar's floor" job. You put them on one rune, step on another, and blah, blah, blah.

Andraste Andraste

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 1,334
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:00 PM #78 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

You forgot to mention that Lavern and Shirley are in the towns Lennis and Squiggus. Don't remember which one is where though.

VCH VCH

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 210
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:22 PM #79 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Squiggus. lol.
Мама, я в России!

Arancaytar Arancaytar

Archivist

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,001
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationThe Empire of Ermarian

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:45 AM #80 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
throwing your pants on Rentar's floor" [...] and blah, blah, blah.

Out of context, it is anyone's guess whether the purpose of "blah, blah, blah" is to preserve the family atmosphere of this forum.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:33 AM #81 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Hey, we're talking about Calista Flockhart here. What do you expect?

Sleeping Dragon Sleeping Dragon

Blademaster

• Member ID: 5,172
  • 993 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:54 PM #82 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

I was just researching mythical English Monarchs and just thought I'd mention that both Cordelia (of Shakespeare fame) and Pinner were both on the list.  Could just be a coincidence, but a more knowledgeable Spiderweb player might want to check it out when they have time to see if they can recognize anyone else on there.
"A still more glorious dawn awaits."  -Carl Sagan

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:00 PM #83 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Cordelia's unlikely, same as Miranda: Jeff just likes the name.

Pinner, Darian, and Jaffee are all the names of college football players from 2001 or so -- not sure if this is a coincidence or not.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:26 PM #84 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Jeff named Cordelia after the character in King Lear, so it's likely he's fond of Shakespearian names. Shakespeare adapted Lear and Cordelia from English mythical history, but it's also quite likely that the Cordelias in the games are named after his daughter, who is named after the Shakespearean character, who is named after the mythical person.

—Alorael, who finds it interesting how legends evolve. Macbeth and Lear and others have been absorbed into the Shakespeare versions. And audiences don't pick up on Shakespeare's own cameos of the contemporary English dynasty. Nor should they.

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,222
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:29 AM #85 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Found a new set. Privates Skimpole, Jarndyce, Guppy, and Carstone in G5 are all characters from Bleak House. They're in the West Foundry Core with Sergeant Lysette, but she isn't part of the group.

Dikiyoba.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:27 PM #86 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Nice!

Matanbuchus Matanbuchus

Watcher

• Member ID: 4,772
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:52 AM #87 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Originally Posted By: The Great Plague

"Meteorology

* Tropical Storm Linda (1985)
    * Hurricane Linda (1991)
    * Typhoon Linda (1997)
    * Hurricane Linda (1997) - A powerful Category 5 hurricane, the most intense East Pacific hurricane.
    * Hurricane Linda (2003)"

Heh, seems to fit. smile

Archmagus Micael Archmagus Micael

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,965
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:19 AM #88 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

In that case, you could also say Erika's name came from hurricanes, if there's a link to Linda there;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Erika

Quote:
The name Erika has been used for three tropical cyclones in the Atlantic Ocean where it replaced Elena in 1985 season.
1991's Tropical Storm Erika - lost tropical characteristics before passing over Azores, no damage or casualties reported.
1997's Hurricane Erika - came near Lesser Antilles but turned away. Drowned two near Puerto Rico.
2003's Hurricane Erika - weak storm that caused two deaths by flooding in Mexico.

The Erika storms are kinda weak though, so I don't know if they really suit the character. The timing for the first hurricane should be about right though, if it was a name he heard at the time (I recall Erika being mentioned at least in name in A1- presuming it was the same in E1?).

Also, I can't remember all of the characters off by heart, but   here's a list of retired hurricane names, maybe someone recognises a character there? (that is if we're looking into some being based off of Hurricanes).

- Archmagus Micael
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:44 AM #89 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Originally Posted By: Yoga Firebolt! Yoga Flamestrike!
*facepalm*

Just because you find a name on google does not mean it has anything to do with the character's name.

To expand: It is pretty clear that for Exile 1, all of the names used either were acquaintances of Jeff's, or were normal, modern-day names (in contrast to most fantasy RPGs).

Spidweb Spidweb

We make the games.

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 2
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:36 PM #90 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

I haven't read the whole thread, I admit, but I do want to correct a few things.

Erika and Prazac are named after friends in High School.

JR, Aimee and Hamer were named after friends in grad school.

Patrick Padraig and Hathwisa are named after friends in the SCA. Along with Bevan and Anastasia.

Bjorn is another friend.

These days, I try to give most of my names a sort of generic fantasy twist. It's bland. I will do something much better when I write my new engine/world.

- Jeff Vogel
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:47 PM #91 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Hey, thanks Jeff.  I wasn't sure if you'd appreciate this thread, I admit.  Anything you wish to add is always welcome.

BTW, all the replies have been added to the first post, so you didn't miss anything.

Toby-Linn Toby-Linn

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 5,560
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:01 AM #92 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

I didn't see this mentioned in your list Slarty, but in Geneforge (the first one), in the town of Vakkiri there's a servile who's huddling in her house and seems terrified of you.

Her name is Strout, possible reference to Linda Strout?
We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us / A man chooses, a slave obeys. (Andrew Ryan - Bioshock)

Xbox Live - TobyLinn81 ~ Tumblr ~ deviantART ~ Facebook ~ Twitter

Ouroboros Ouroboros

Sorcerer

• 570 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:45 AM #93 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Maybe I'm found one in G5 in Noyde Coast border you wil found Private Kellen and Kellen is a Knight-Mage in Obsidian Trilogy.

Hope is right smile

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:31 AM #94 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Bloodmoon, is there anybody else there with a name from the same source?  Jeff has tended to pull 2 or more names at once from books, TV shows, etc.

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:55 AM #95 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
Also, your first contact in ASR is Vonnegut. I believe Jeff is a fan of Kurt Vonnegut, so the character is probably named after him.

Originally Posted By: Andraste
You forgot to mention that Lavern and Shirley are in the towns Lennis and Squiggus. Don't remember which one is where though.

These were mentioned in the thread but aren't on the list. Also, the show is called "Laverne & Shirley", not "Shirley and Laverne".

One other possible cameo I found, although kind of a stretch, is in Exile 1. In Formello, the innkeeper is named Vermeers. There is a famous Dutch Baroque painter by the name of Johannes (or Jan, or Joannis at various points in his life, according to Wikipedia) Vermeer, who owned an inn. It's not in the Wikipedia article, but I believe I learned in a Renaissance To Modern Art course I took that the inn, rather than his paintings, is what kept him out of abject poverty (he was always poor though). As I said, it's probably a stretch.
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:08 AM #96 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Added those - anyone else have opinions about Vermeers?

Toby-Linn Toby-Linn

Hand of Avadon

• 1,096 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:12 AM #97 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Slarty, did you read my post about the servile named Strout in G1?

I guess you don't think that's a valid reference as it wasn't added to the list.
We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us / A man chooses, a slave obeys. (Andrew Ryan - Bioshock)

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:19 AM #98 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

I did see that.  It's certainly possible, but it just seems like a really weird reference to me.  Linda had just started working for SW while G1 was being written, I believe, and that seems like a weird and unflattering cameo to welcome somebody with.  I'll add it to the suspicious category, which I should have before.

Toby-Linn Toby-Linn

Hand of Avadon

• 1,096 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:35 AM #99 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Ah, I see what you were thinking.

However Strout is rather an unusual name to just think up out of the blue like that.  That was my reasoning.

Darkdread Darkdread

Shaman

• Member ID: 2,474
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:59 AM #100 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

I'm still playing G5 and heard about an outsider working for a Shaper named "Platano", that's funny, it means "banana" in Spanish.
*Vlish enters a bar.
*bartender: How can I help you?
*pause...
*bartender: of course you can have your drink for free!

Heart of Avadon

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:10 PM #101 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Salmon says here that Linda joined the company in 1999. Geneforge is copyrighted 2001-2002, according to the main menu. I agree with Toby-Linn. I think the servile is named after the employee.
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:06 PM #102 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

You're right -- it was 99.  I was misremembering my own research.

I still think that's a pretty weird cameo for an actual employee.  I would suspect the name referring to some relative of Linda's she was making fun of, rather than her personally.  Jeff mentioned at some point that a lot of the less plot-integral writing was done by Mariann or Linda.  I'm not sure if that was true as of 2001, but it's a possibility.  At any rate I'm leaving it in the suspicious section.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:24 PM #103 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

If it was Linda making fun of a relative, why not give the servile the relative's first name instead of her own last name?

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:09 PM #104 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Maybe it's something much more simple?

"Linda" does not sound very Servile-ish. "Strout" does.

Ouroboros Ouroboros

Sorcerer

• 570 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:30 AM #105 Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Originally Posted By: Hier, Slarty est mort
Bloodmoon, is there anybody else there with a name from the same source?  Jeff has tended to pull 2 or more names at once from books, TV shows, etc.

As far as I know no...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users