Not getting registration codes

alias

I registered geneforge 5 3 days ago, i received the confirmation email the next day that supposedly had my code in it. It didnt, it had a blank space...

"YOUR REGISTRATION KEY

Your registration number for Geneforge 5: Overthrow is:

Your registration key for Geneforge 5: Overthrow is: "

Ive asked for a new key and emailed Jeff, but to no avail, i have received no email or anything.

And yes i did enter the registration key while ordering, and i double checked and it is the correct one.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had any problem, in fact I'm impressed with how quickly they respond. But I do think it's an odd way of doing it. Here's what I mean: I always order the CD and booklet because that way I can re-install later if my computer bites the big one. So they mail me the CD, booklet and a printed page with my order details, and what looks like the registration page, but it's blank where the codes should be, just like in the original post here. I would think that since someone is stuffing these materials into the envelope to mail, they could write the code on the sheet, right, and save them having to respond to an email later. Or is there something I'm missing? (It's also confusing to the purchaser, though. I mean, many of us are more used to companies with horrible customer service, so when we see the blank page, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks "great...")

I've never ordered a Spiderweb game on a CD while already having downloaded the demo, but I think Randomizer's right. My understanding is that if you give them a request for a code, they'll mail it to you and email it to you even faster. You also get a CD to reinstall if you need to. If you don't have the demo, you have no registration number and they therefore can't send you a code.

—Alorael, who thinks he might have number and code backwards. He remembers that he did at some point, but now he can't recall which comes with the program and which you have to enter.

I hate to disagree, but I've downloaded demos of a few games and then purchased them, and I've also purchased CD's without downloading the demo and installed directly from the CD, and they're *not* already registered that way. You install the game from CD and then launch it and it still says "unregistered" until you enter the key. But I can't enter the key until I email Jeff to ask for it. That's why I say it's kind of odd.

But again, it hasn't been a problem because they are so responsive. Just odd, that's all.

The Exile Trilogy CD definitely has the registered versions on it. You must be doing something wrong, like installing the unregistered demo to one directory, installing the registered version from the CD to another directory, and then running the original unregistered demo instead of the new registered version.

No, this is what I've been doing:

Download and install Avernum 4 demo and start to play. Purchase A4 and A5 on CDrom with the booklets. I don't install A5 until I get the CD in the mail and then install it directly from CD. When I launch A5, it comes up as unregistered.

Also, my mom bought me G5 for christmas and had them ship the CD to me. When I installed and launched G5, it came up unregistered. I might be missing a step somewhere, but I definitely didn't have the demos for A5 and G5.

wow, that's weird, because when I install the games I have on cd (A1-A5, BoA, Nethergate) they're always registered and ready to play.

Note: I know this because I had to recently re-install them because I reformatted my computer, and I know I did not download the demos first.

Note 2: When I order games from Spiderweb Software, I don't bother to give them the registration code from the demos because I know I can play them right away and they come pre-registered. I just make sure to uninstall the demos before I install the game from cd.

But I have Windows, and you have a Macintosh (because you have G5) so maybe that's the difference?

Originally Posted By: Toby-Linn
But I have Windows, and you have a Macintosh (because you have G5) so maybe that's the difference?

That shouldn't make a difference. The CD versions for Mac are registered as well, at least for me. The CD does contain demo versions as well though. Are you sure you aren't installing the demo by mistake?

I don't know about A5 and G5, but my Exile Trilogy CD doesn't have the demos for the Exile Trilogy itself.

If you didn't accidentally install the demo versions instead of the registered versions, maybe there was a bad batch of CDs. Seems a ripoff to pay $5 for a CD containing only stuff you can get for free online. Maybe he'll send you a new one if you can confirm the fault is in the CD itself?

This is interesting. I just popped the A5 cd back in to take a look. Nope, I definitely ran the file called "install Avernum 5.dmg" which is the Mac installer. There is another folder called "Avernum 5 demo" but I'm sure that's not what I ran. (I'm a programmer and lazy by default so I won't take the extra step of going into another folder when I see the installer right there, and also the file/folder names are a dead giveaway to me as to what I wanted to run.)

there is also an RTF file with the name "avernum 5 full license" but I opened it and it's just the eula.

How long has it been? I believe Spiderweb still uses human-powered order processing, so it can take a day or two, particularly on weekends or at times when everyone is likely to be on vacation.

—Alorael, who thinks perhaps Spiderweb should update to automated order processing. Surely there's good, cheap, and secure software that's widely known and available by now.

The knowledge that an actual human is processing my order is worth at least several business days to me. Automated stores make mistakes, and from what I've seen it seems that the companies who use them have lousy tech support for such aberrations.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a semi-automated system that sends out registration codes and keeps a human in the loop about it - and the really dreadful WTFs are only generated by companies with lousy inter-department communication, like telcos. One department thinks you have canceled your plan, the other thinks they have connected you, a third thinks you are overdue on your bills and a fourth is cutting you off for being over your traffic limit. With only three employees, Spiderweb just isn't likely to do that.

I'm still waiting for an email reply from one company over their billing practices. After a year, I doubt I'll ever get a reply. Maybe no toll free telephone number was a good hint that they don't want to talk to customers about problems.

Spiderweb is slow, but they do make an effort to reply and they will help if you later lose your registration codes.

Automation is good for registering customers directly, but it is also good for Spiderweb. Whoever responds to all the registration requests doesn't have to. That means more time for game design. Or it means laying off an employee and cutting costs. These are hard times, says I.

—Alorael, who suggests using the savings to hire a replacement Spider. Eight legs means amazing typing speeds!

Originally Posted By: Arancaytar
The knowledge that an actual human is processing my order is worth at least several business days to me. Automated stores make mistakes, and from what I've seen it seems that the companies who use them have lousy tech support for such aberrations.
Hence the saying: To err is human; to really foul things up takes a computer.

Originally Posted By: Mimix
?Alorael, who suggests using the savings to hire a replacement Spider. Eight legs means amazing typing speeds!

Spiders don't have the reach to access the full keyboard, except for the face-leaping spiders. But then when Jeff comes in to give the spider his notes, it leaps at his face, then you have the management-labor debate and time is wasted.

What you need to do is hire monkeys. Being a higher evolved primate than man, they have a prehensile tail that allows them to manipulate the mouse without having to stop typing. (Proved in Dilbert when Zimbu the Monkey coded faster than Wally)