Geneforge 4 bug

MrRoivas

Got a problem with map triggers.

I am in the underwater sea caves, in the second act. Its filled with those wards that kill you if you get near them. I have flipped a number of switches that are supposed to turn them off. They don't turn off. Instead, I have to step next to them once, then they deactivate. When I leave the map, they reactivate. This is rather annoying.

Oh, you're deactivating the pylons by walking through them? Yeah, that's not how to do it. The thing is, each switch will only deactivate a few specific pylons, and they're often quite far away from the switch that turns them off; you gotta walk around and find what exactly the switch did.

Obviously, you also have to have enough Mechanics to operate the switches.

There are a few pylons that don't have switches, but you should be able to pick up all the major loot and get through the area without needing to set any off. There's a crate or two that are very difficult to get to without setting off a pylon, but they only have a few junk items in them anyway.

And yes, pylons that get set off will recharge after a long time or if you leave the area.

Dikiyoba.

Quote:
]There are a few pylons that don't have switches, but you should be able to pick up all the major loot and get through the area without needing to set any off. There's a crate or two that are very difficult to get to without setting off a pylon, but they only have a few junk items in them anyway.

That's the thing. When I flip switches, absolutely no pylons turn off. If I wish to go anywhere guarded by pylons, I have to set them off. None just turn off on their own, without me setting them off. There are two maps where I cannot complete them because of this issue.

It's mostly because enough players have gotten through the area without his problems. Most of them had decent levels of mechanics to deal with mines and never see the spore box control messages that their mechanics level is too low.

There are only a few places where you have to trigger a pylon to reach an item. It's a boring process of finding the spore boxes in the proper order to turn off a pylon blocking the path to the next box. You move from one side to the other avoiding setting off the pylons and having to reload.

Originally Posted By: MrRoivas
Even if I turn off every single switch in the area, the pylons are still active. The only way to turn them off is by walking through them. They go off once, then deactivate. But only if I don't go to other areas. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think this is how its supposed to work.

From what I can recall, most of the pylons in those caves are never turned off. The control boxes will deactivate one or two somewhere in the caves that will enable you to go a little bit farther somewhere. It's a very slow and frustrating level, and once you've done everything there is to do you still have to carefully thread your way back through the pylons.

—Alorael, who would worry if you flip control boxes and actually find no pylons in the entire area that have been deactivated and definitely get the message that your Mechanics is high enough. And you have to search hard for those deactivated pylons even when they are off.

Quote:

—Alorael, who would worry if you flip control boxes and actually find no pylons in the entire area that have been deactivated and definitely get the message that your Mechanics is high enough. And you have to search hard for those deactivated pylons even when they are off.

That's exactly what happened. Absolutely no pylons switched off anywhere. I definately had enough mechanics. I was able to flip all the switches that I was able to get to. Eventually, I couldn't find anymore, given that no pylons were switching off.

Did you edit any of the scripts or use any third party trainers? I'm surprised nobody suggested this yet. It's possible that the scripts have been tampered with or corrupted in such a way as to break them, right? Try backing up your save files and reinstalling the game, then put your save files back. If it really is bad scripts, there's a chance that they broke something in the save file itself as well, but if it's just the pylons not turning off it probably won't be a problem.

I found you can walk in between most of the pylons on the level without them exploding.this area is not like the boiling mud pits where the entire field is turned off at the flick of a switch. Also have explored the entire map yet? When i did this area i though i had the same problem as you but, some of the spore boxes turn off pylons that you cant see from your immediate area and don't look like they turn off until you get close enough to see them in the game.One of the spore boxes can only safely be reached by entering from rocky point.