Hard coded searchable terrain

Ishad Nha

It seems that the te can look at call may be hard coded into the game itself, hence it does nothing in a custom data script. This was discussed in the forum below:

http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=55496&page=all

What I can do is draw up a 64x64 town with all 512 terrain types occuring in their proper order. (It will need to be in a scenario with 512 types of terrain.) Then use a custom data script that does not mention the relevant call. This script would have entries for all terrain types. Said scenario should provide some hard answers on this one. When it is played it will enable the party to wander around town and see which terrain is searchable.

Edit:

I have it all set up thanks to some quick use of spreadsheets. Now I will need to put in some signs for each of the columns. I have the terrain placed in columns of 25 types each, which means 21 lines. Now there are only 15 signs allowed in any town so I will have to use terrain scripts and specobj.txt.

From what I can see: some terrain types can be searched even though the relevant call has been removed from the scenario data script. I will have to clean up the script and remove repetitions.

Edit:

From what I can see, te_special_property = 39; and te_special_property = 40; will cause the given terrain to be a sign or a container and hence the terrain can be then looked at.

I removed both of these calls from the data script and no terrain could be looked at. This seems not to be consistent with previous results found by others but...

Edit:

What I could not explain in Amnesia went away when I made some temporary alterations to corescendata2.txt.

Avernumscript is not C, so Jeff can name it whatever he likes, which is apparently characteristic. The point is that attribute is a synonym for characteristic while call implies something drastically different.

My question is: what do signs an custom scripts have to do with it? In most cases I recall unwanted look-at-ability has been things like a hillside which shows up as a target for the 'Look' command and if looked at results in something like "You see: / Floor / Hill". THis is very different from the behaviors of signs.

As I explained above, I removed all of the instances of "te_can_look_at = 1" from the data script and the party could still look at signs and containers.

Then I removed all of the instances of "te_special_property = 39;" and "te_special_property = 40;" from the data script and no terrain could be looked at.

It seems that in two separate scenarios the same numbers are occuring when it comes to unwanted instances of searchable terrain. The problem is not totally hard coded, in that it can be removed but it may feature the same terrain types. I might upload something so others can take a look.

Here it is:

http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/WindowsGraphicsAdjuster.zip

To activate this link, hit Alt + D to activate the address bar then press Enter

Edit, September 2009:

Original scenario has been replaced with another.

I seem to remember that Dikiyoba did some spading of this at some point (if not, then Dikiyoba was the one who pointed it out). Some terrains respond to having their te_can_look_at values changed, and some don't, which is a bug. Beyond the terrains that are already defined, these are the ones that are safe from the bug (so they actually respond to having that value changed):

431-449

452-455

460-468

472-484

487-489

495-end

I can verify this, having used almost all of those slots for scenarios in progress. Beyond that, it's not a big problem, as long as you make sure to check you're using slots that aren't buggy.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

I can verify this, having used almost all of those slots for scenarios in progress. Beyond that, it's not a big problem, as long as you make sure to check you're using slots that aren't buggy.

Yeah, I have evidence to show that those are the terrains to watch for, though avoiding them isn't necessary - just using those numbers for things like desks, pictures, and so on - things you actually want to be, or should be, searchable.

• 9 months later...

Using the new Graphics Adjuster scenario to resolve this question has produced interesting results. It seems that it is not hard coded at all. When all 512 terrain types are generated by a custom scenario data script, none have any inherent searchable property.

http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/WindowsGraphicsAdjuster.zip

In my Graphics Adjuster utility scenario, no terrain type has any ability, maybe that is why it never has any searchable terrain. I will need to find some time and see what is happening here.

It might be that there is a default hard-coding which can be overridden by a scenario data script.