Something in the BUG... or just a TRICK?!

I don't know if these are a bugs in the game. I try three time quest (by starting from the beginning with different process of quest), but still got the same thing. Actually I want to find the cause by examine the flag or using gamecheater... but on second thought, it would be such a waste time grin

1. You can raise your XP without fighting/wasting time. How to do that?! It's simple, after you trigger Vellanna's Quest in Vanarium... , trigger Dragon's Blood quest. Get out of town and find Derek's Ring, then head to Faerie Bazzar, find the Dragon's Blood through secret passage told by Sylak's Skull. Then head to Bazzar Master home and raid everything inside including special box that can trigger the alarm which when you get out you will be arrested (don't worry, first crime will not so hard to be punished, thanks to The Three Crone grin). After that you'll be ended in the prison, but still get out with exception, the Dragon's Blood will be lost. But simply back to take the Dragon's Blood again through the secret passage. Give it to Manius which will give you reward then asking again if he still need help (he would say not). Then go to Vellana and give the Derek's Ring which will give you a reward of experience. And then there's the trick of experience boost: Talk again with her, choose the conversation until the Derek's Ring come up again, then choose another question, which will trigger the conversation about giving the Derek's Ring again. Choose it and you will get the experience again. Do it again and again... voila... you can increase the experience UNTIL YOU BORED!!! laugh (For me it;s simple, just press 1 five times then press 3. 1-1-1-1-1-3... repeated even your eyes is out of the monitor hehehehe..). It's definitely a bug??

2. To get Spider Eggs without killing the Widow Queen, head the room with Spider Eggs, and don't try to raise the Widow Queen's anger. Just try to settle inside the West chamber (with one Web) without notice by setting your position so when you set combat mode(without fighting anything) then end combat that will make your formation inside the chamber. After getting the Eggs, do the same thing (Combat Mode - End Mode) until you are out of the chamber. Quite tricky huh? I try to the other chamber (the North and South) it won't work. Definitely a bug???

Btw, actually you can get the spider egg from the backdoor without triggering the spider wrath. Just come inside Maze of Thorn from North Entrance. Find the way till you get the place where the chamber with two web reside (using Piercing Sight is very useful), then find the secret passage to the room in the wall. When you get near the web, you'll be noticed a warning that you should not go south too far or your presence will be known by the spider and triggered the fight. Just go east until you next to the door to inside the Queen's chamber (walk carefully) and it will trigger to take the Eggs, then go back again with the same route. Easy huh?

By the way... I have several questions that never been solved.

A. I trid to save the Selkie man tied up west of the lake (on the Hoolow Hill) which he will point out to Selkie's Home. I go back to Selkie's Home and found him in one of the chamber in the SE corner near the Selkie's Chieftain room. His name is "SHARK". I triggered conversation with him but nothing happened (not a reward or trigger any condition). I confuse... If I'm not saving him and rob him instead (he's going to die anyway...) I'll get the Strength Bracelet (it's very useful... especially when you hate going to town so many times just to sell out the raid thing, and quite boosting your damages made in combat). So... do saving him trigger something in the quest?

B. The same thing outside the Spire. Which on I should choose? A powerfull ring or give the ring back to the sprite?

C. I read in the walkthrough, it said while in Vanarium make maneuver in the trees to get a magic lockpick. Which trees? On the tree inside Vanarium I found Eagle-Eye Ring instead getting the lockpick. Is it really magic lockpick can be found there in the game?

D. Near the bridge to Vanarium, on the westside of the river, there's a river near the river intersection. When we approach it, a text-flag came up... but i don't understand it use. Did it trigger something?

E. What is the use of nether arts "Create Elixir" which I found in Druid Shrine (Temple of Brigantia)??? Oops... I found it in the most bottom of Druid Spell List... losing Skill Point??? Yikes... it's useless spell isn't it... tongue btw, can Romans learning the other Mystery Spell?? And as Celts, where I can find Miraculous Revival? I've already tried all the places Sylak's skull chatted.

Tx b4 to spiderwebbers.

2: this is a recurrent bug around since at least Avernum, often exploited for quite a variety of things. I think it was fixed around A4.

D: If you're talking about the bridge where you see blood if you're playing Celt, when playing Roman you help some Celts fight off a group of goblins there.

E: In the original Nethergate, at least, you couldn't get all the spells when playing Roman.

Quote:

A. I trid to save the Selkie man tied up west of the lake (on the Hoolow Hill) which he will point out to Selkie's Home. I go back to Selkie's Home and found him in one of the chamber in the SE corner near the Selkie's Chieftain room. His name is "SHARK". I triggered conversation with him but nothing happened (not a reward or trigger any condition). I confuse... If I'm not saving him and rob him instead (he's going to die anyway...) I'll get the Strength Bracelet (it's very useful... especially when you hate going to town so many times just to sell out the raid thing, and quite boosting your damages made in combat). So... do saving him trigger something in the quest?

B. The same thing outside the Spire. Which on I should choose? A powerfull ring or give the ring back to the sprite?

If you do enough "good" deeds in the game - i.e. helping people you find outdoors, giving to beggars, etc. - there is a reward in a grove near Castle Aethdoc. This is one of those things.

Quote:

E. What is the use of nether arts "Create Elixir" which I found in Druid Shrine (Temple of Brigantia)??? Oops... I found it in the most bottom of Druid Spell List... losing Skill Point??? Yikes... it's useless spell isn't it... tongue

I didn't use it in N:R, but, in the original Nethergate it created a really powerful healing potion, that'd restore your characters from just about anything, if I recall correctly. It's still not all that useful, but it might be okay in a pinch if you have a spare skill point floating around.

1. You found an infinite quest loop that should have been eliminated by a line of code to drop the dialog option after the quest was completed.

A and B. This is one of several places where you get to chose between a good or evil action that can add up to bonuses later in the game. See here for a complete list and what you can do when you are extremely good or evil.

tx guys...

@ Random... surely an infinite quest loop is a "bug". Because as an RPG, those kind of loop shouldn't be there, cuz it definitely affect the game... it's useless since we can do "that thing" in CharEd. Except it planned as "tricks". I played the game since 2006 (incl. Av2,3,4,5, BoA, etc when i've lot of sparetime), juz for having fun... by finding what is the differences of the storyline and the "Roles" I played... like u said... finding different scenes between good/evil deeds smile btw, in N:R doesn't have a specific line in the char info about the "deeds" ya know tongue so how do i know by arrested in faerie bazzar does something to my deeds, cuz i still have the chance to continue on the crone's order hehehehe... coz i still can get the dragons blood "plus" the bazzarmaster treasure earlier in the game. Actually i prefered if i got caught, the item gone forever, and i must go back to the Quest-Giver and said I failed and it triggered something etc.etc.etc... that's what I think a rpg is...

@ Postmaster... tx, I reloading the original again... yupez... it was replaced in the N:R. In N:R, there's no such a magic lockpick cuz no boxes/doors that been protected by magic locks.

@ feo... nehh... sometimes it happened too in Ave... after combat, the game will reset the position of the characters... i think it's randomly, cuz there's never i XPed after combat, the char position will be back in the same spots b4 combat. btw i forgot about the bridge, my save game as celts at that point have been deleted tongue but as romans, across the river from that stone is the place we meet shadow wolf. i'll check it out again... maybe it's juz easter egg (if you played as romans b4 as celts, surely u'll be confused about the storyline)

Randomizer agreed with you that it's a bug. Also, since a great deal of the scripting for the game is scripted, not hard coded, you can look in the text files of the game's data and see which events change your good/evil tracker. It may not appear on your character info page, but it's still there.

—Alorael, who likes how some parts of Nethergate make much more sense when you've played both halves of the game. It's interesting that you don't just pick your side and affect the world, you pick one of two sides that will carry out the plot regardless of which one you're playing. And inevitability is a proper faerie theme.

Originally Posted By: Report High Crimes and Misdemeanors
Randomizer agreed with you that it's a bug. Also, since a great deal of the scripting for the game is scripted, not hard coded, you can look in the text files of the game's data and see which events change your good/evil tracker. It may not appear on your character info page, but it's still there.

—Alorael, who likes how some parts of Nethergate make much more sense when you've played both halves of the game. It's interesting that you don't just pick your side and affect the world, you pick one of two sides that will carry out the plot regardless of which one you're playing. And inevitability is a proper faerie theme.

As Romans, though, your actions (or should I say inactions) can trigger a 3rd ending though, so while you're mostly right, it's not totally accurate.

I imagine that getting the "extra" Roman ending and then playing through the Celt side and getting the normal Celt ending would maximize your displeasure with the fruit of your labors.

—Alorael, who still holds out slim hope of a sequel in which ancient sidhe find themselves dumped into an interstellar war between aliens in the distant future. Oh, and there could be goblins. Space peach goblins.